Thread: Need Help

Need Help

Is there anyone out there that has any info on an Anigma PII motherboard. My sister has a Gateway G6300 with this mb. It has intergrated AGP/Audio?DVD and she is having the problem with the screec blacking out and having to reboot. We were told that it was probably the video going bad, can the onboard video be disabled or will she have to get a new mb. Sure would appreciate any help offered. Thanks in advance

Well, this is a very simple problem. The reason why your screen is blacking out is because you have a "power-saving" feature going into effect after a certain amount of time, this is commonly called "Standby". Does this only happen when you leave the computer alone after a certain amount of time? If so, you can deactivate it by doing into power management from your control panel and change "System Standby" to "Never". This is you are running Windows 98.

This doesn't happen when there isn't any activity. This happens when you are working. Sometimes it lasts for a long time before it blacks out and at other times only for 15 of 20 min.. I can do a project and proceed to save it and it will just black out and have to be rebooted. It is not the monitor, this was checked by using another monitor and it still happened. There wouldn't be a prblm if it was standby, then Iwouldn't have to do the work over again. I would appreciate any help that I can get.

Its hard for us to help with hardware questions without the m/n and s/n your G6300. The Gateway support site or your manual should provide you with your video upgrade options, but if your having diffuculties with it perhaps we could help.
    The black out problem may be another issue . It wont hurt to try physically cleaning the system( blow it out), reseating the ram, cpu / hsf and pci cards. Checking the cable connections for loosness, etc. Then spring clean windows and defrag. If it continues , then perhaps its a hardware issue. Check all your fans are running, also, for it does sound like a heat related issue.
    To answer the question though, you should be able to upgrade to a PCI video card at least. If the mobo has an AGP slot then go that way. Your manual should give details how to disable the onboard video.