Thread: XP

XP

Hi again all, well this is certainly a new problem. Reinstall xp pro worked great for 2 days, and as I am writing this on win98se something has gone dramatically wrong. SO Now I have 2 operating sysytems on this machine YUCK!!!

As xp starts I receive the follwing error "<windows root> sysytem32/ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted or missing..reinstall this file"

The system restore will not do it, neither will the repair function.
    Any clues on how I can get this installed without another complete reinstall.
    The system is an AMD 900tb twin 7200 40gig ibm drives
    512 sdram pc133 abit kt7a-raid mobo

appreciate your comments

i'm afraid it's not as simple as it might seems.

i've just dealt with about the exact same problem.

and after having gone throught all the normal conventional stuff, which a day or 2 days later brings me back to square one.

just as you have decribed so far.

so in my case to really fix it
    i had to basically reformat the entired hardrive

or remove all the partitions

then remake all the partitions

and format all the new partitions.

after that i reinstalled everything and now everything is working great.

for over a week

before the Re-partitioning / formatting, the problem just kept comming back

YET!! when you run Scandisk or chkdsk /f in Win2k/XP it still does not detect anything wrong.

Almost the same for me

I had kind of the same problem .. After rebuilding my Raid computer ... I was booting to what i thought was my Hdd 0 On my master ide 1 controler .. Kept booting and erroring out ... there is the possability that you had 2 active partition tables at the same time ..

One thing that i find that works to beet having to reinstall everything every time is to get a copy of Ghost. Install everything to your hearts delight .. ( have a cd burner in your computer ) . and ghost away... Burn your boot drive to cd. ( If you want a copy ( eval ) Let me know .. My backup has saved me hours of time .. I can re partition and ghost a drive in minutes ( after using dos to move things that i really need ) .. and boom .. Up and running again ..

Ghost ... About the only thing from norton's line of products that works LOL.

Jack
    Thanks,
    :-)
    Jack

All gamer

Yes Another complete reinstall, How do I proceed, xp isnt like 98, I dont have a stratup disk and I cant seem to get to a dos prompt, in addition this version of xp pro doesn't auto install off the cd I would appreciate a How to senerio if you can thanks for all the imput

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    It will if you change the boot order to cdrom first instead of floppy or hard drive.

Ahh FIXED :)

Thanks for all the help.
    What I have found out is this.

The partions have colpsed upon one another, why? you ask..Who the frig knows. Took out everything in its way. In doing so took out both cd roms too.

What I found took me back on track. Apparantly this has happened before with xp. Bill Gates and his clan has finally come up with something that not only Works, but by pass's the cd rom and uses the old "a" drive floppy.

Personally as I did and IF I WAS YOU!!!! would download the program to your hard drive and transfer the info to 6..Yes I said SIX floppy disks that you will need to compete this task. After the File is transferred windows xp chops the file into 6 pieces numbered Disks 1-6. There is no need to get a program it's already done for you.
    Here is the Link
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseid=33290

Jsnyderj Got Nortons ghost..Just in case
    thansk all

There's no need to use those if you boot to the cd-rom drive.

Those disks are only for people with computers that don't have the ability to boot to the cd-rom drive.