Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: corner of moniter blinking

corner of moniter blinking

ok im getting really sick of problems with these moniters.....

first off. i returned that viewsonic i made a post about a few days ago because the display model had the same horrible distortion that nobody in the store could get rid of.

bought a flat screen NEC 19 inch..do flat screens normally have distortion towards the corners? i cant seem to get rid of it.

last..i noticed the lower right corner of the screen seems to be flickering aka at a refresh rate lower than everythign else. i jsut noticed it but its really annoying cuz its where i look for the click and the system tray. argh i really dont feel like packing this one up and sending it back. already sent out the mail in rebate too.

oh man, that's bad...

i know wha tyou mean about a specific corner having slightly off refresh rates.

it's even more annoying than a distorted line.

what make you choose a Flat NEC ??, NEC used to be good, but i've long lost the taste for NEC, they tend to turn crappy after 3 years.

Color changes on the screen, yellowish usually.

Viewsonic doesn't have that problem even after 5 to 7 years.

the longest monitor so far is 7 years and it's a viewsonic and blightness, and color has remained the same, comparing it to another viewsonic that is a least 4 years newer.

yah its pretty annoying...

i had an nec that i got back in 96. still works great, i thought they made good moniters??..

i might be stuck with this one tho since the mail in rebate was already sent out. i got it at circuit city...

I would take it back and ask them to exchange it. sending in a rebate doesn't invalidate the warranty. Make them hook it up at the store this time.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by AllGamer
    oh man, that's bad...

i know wha tyou mean about a specific corner having slightly off refresh rates.

"Off refresh rates" in one corner? AllGamer, you're becoming a better laugh every day.

Heck, there is one cathode ray beam scanning the entire surface, top to bottom, left to right X times per second. How could one single spot possibly turn out to be visited less often than others? Huh?

What you see there is flickering caused by AC interference from the outside. That's why the flicker is 50 or 60 Hz depending on where in the world you are. Got any suspects near? Devices with integrated power supplies (active speakers, printer, other peripherals, desk lamp)? Separate power bricks tucked away behind it? Is the power strip with all the in-plug power supplies of your lesser peripherals anywhere near? Move all things electrical away from the monitor, and see which one does it.

regards, Peter

btw, AllGamer, you forgot to recommend altering the IRQ settings this time

The making of a large glass CRT tube is difficult. Many tubes are discarded in the process. Every last one of my displays have had some minor or major geometric glitch. As Peter has stated, move any possible magnetic source (especially speakers or even headphones) away from the display. If it's still distorted, return it.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by Peter Missel

What you see there is flickering caused by AC interference from the outside. That's why the flicker is 50 or 60 Hz depending on where in the world you are. Got any suspects near? Devices with integrated power supplies (active speakers, printer, other peripherals, desk lamp)? Separate power bricks tucked away behind it? Is the power strip with all the in-plug power supplies of your lesser peripherals anywhere near? Move all things electrical away from the monitor, and see which one does it.

regards, Peter

well there is nothing powered near that side of the moniter. the only things within atleast 8 ft in any direction is my power supply. the computer itself, and the speakers - all of which are to the left side of the moniter. the flickering is in the lower right hand corner of the moniter. tried moving things around...

i guess its not that bad. like i dont see it unless im looking at the moniter for a while.

TARP2 - yah we cut out the UPC tho. so theyd probably just keep the box from the new one. only thing is, for the rebate we had to write down the serial number of this moniter. i guess its no big deal.

and yah bipolarbill, im beginning to learn to accept the slight distortions lol. the viewsonic 17inch's top that i had, dipped down so far you could see the effects on straigh lines to the middle of the screen. just the corners of this one are slightly smudged in. i guess its no biggie

Ultimate Member
    Out-of-focus corners are more noticeable the flatter the monitors are, simply because the further out the spot is, the less perpendicular will the beam hit the shadow mask, resulting in an oval spot rather than a circular one. Really expensive monitors compensate that by shaping the beam. Affordable ones don't.

As for the flickering corner, if you made sure there's nothing else that interferes into it, then it might well be that there is a dying component inside, on the monitor's own PCB, that does that.

regards, Peter

geez...

just a few post above you said the corner thing was not possible,

and just now

you say it's possible cuz of something wrong.

isn't that what i said?

it doesn't matter if it's 1 CRT tube or 1/2 a tube, as long as some or any component inside the PCB layout ain't working the way it's suppose to (usually low quality ones), will do that.

i had a few monitor that did that, exachanged it for another one, and no more eye sore

most of the time glitches like these are due mini pockets or air inside soldering iron holding the components to the PCB board. that causes small fluctuation that doesn't cause noticeable problems to the machine, but causes interference.

and no IRQ has nothing to do inside a Monitor .... sigh...

so the color warps and one corner is kinda funky eh?

Do you have anything magnetic hear that side of the monitor?

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by AllGamer
    geez...

just a few post above you said the corner thing was not possible,

and just now

you say it's possible cuz of something wrong.

isn't that what i said?
    Ah, you're reaching airhead level two now, no more stupid reasoning, it's argument bending now. (Seems the saying is right, never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.)

I originally said no way a corner can have a different refresh rate than the rest of the screen. THAT was your original claim, and it's still a laugh.

Interference to the CRT it is, either from outside or inside. The beam will still update every single spot on screen with the exact same refresh rate, no matter how broken the monitor may be. Faulty components, like coils and transformers, may emit unwanted radiation into the CRT, overlaying their own flicker onto the image.

Peter

Originally posted by Peter Missel
    Interference to the CRT it is, either from outside or inside. The beam will still update every single spot on screen with the exact same refresh rate, no matter how broken the monitor may be. Faulty components, like coils and transformers, may emit unwanted radiation into the CRT, overlaying their own flicker onto the image.
    see you'r just repeating what i said into your own words.

Originally posted by klatty

i noticed the lower right corner of the screen seems to be flickering aka at a refresh rate lower than everythign else.
    and as any polite tech you always use the same techno language your customer, or people seeking help is using.

one of the top 10 rules for CS

that's why i originally replied with Reflesh Rate, i don't bother correcting people like you do.

i have better use of my time

well i decided im going to return it. thank you everyone for your help!...hopefully the new one will be free of abnormalities.

Originally posted by klatty
    well i decided im going to return it.
    Good idea. I'm never happy with the first display I bring home either.
    MS MCP, MCSE

haha great. i feel like im being "mean" but the fact is im a stickler for symetry and it just irkes me a lot. plus i paid for a moniter free from defects too you know?