Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Really stupid GeForce 2 Ti question

Alright, I've just re-installed a clean sheet of WIn2K and DX8.1, same thing, running version 30.82 of the Detonators.

Same result trying to load Half Life: monitor cycles once, blacks out, and goes into power-save mode. System hangs. I've disabled power management in the BIOS, but disabling
    "ACPI Aware O/S" causes Windows 2000 to not load, and reboots the comp before it even loads the kernal at the Windows 2000 splash screen.

I'm going to go back to the 21.83 Detonators that came with the GeForce 2 Ti. I'll keep you all informed.

Anyone that has a reason as to why, HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Begging you guys here... I mean I studied this **** O/S for almost two years, certified on it to boot, and I'm still stumped!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys! Keep em coming!

Logan[TeamX]

Perhaps you have old/incorrect drivers installed for a seemingly unrelated component, like NIC or soundcard. I only mention this as my last problem on my system ended up being that the system integrator who built my system put audigy drivers instead of Live platinum drivers on my system. NOLF was the only game affected by it. I spent two weeks cursing the pc, investigating everything I *thought* was the problem. I ended up doing the ½ selective startup, and uncovered the wrong driver. Removed that, and works fine now. Anyway, I thought I'd post this possibility.

Also, make absolutely sure you're not overclocked, and that you're cooled sufficiently. I'd hate to think it's a heat issue, but the fact that you run ok in ME makes me dismiss the idea.

ßeeßle Qµix

Athlon 1700+ w Vocano 6cµ hsf
    A7V266-E
    256M DDR cas2
    MSI Geforce 4 ti 4200 td64
    IBM 60gxp 40GB hdd
    Seagate 2GB hdd
    Lite-On 12x10x32 cdrw
    Toshiba DVD/CDROM 16x40
    Creative Live! Platinum 5.1
    flippy drive
    Windows XP Home w/ SP1
    17" ADI & 15" Sceptre monitors
    Last edited by Beeblequix; 09-07-2002 at 08:57 PM.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

I've checked it all out, and nothing seems to help. I'm not sure if it's the motherboard, the power management in Win2K/XP, or god knows what.

I take it no-one else has any ideas... guess I'm screwed then.

Logan[TeamX]

Originally posted by grimfandango

yea!

as long as the game works fine on your sys...

be happy!

Not only that but as long as it isn't very laggy. Heck, with 80+ fps I don't see how you can get much lag! Should be pretty smooth.

I'll repost the meat of the problem.

In WinME, I get no problems. I want to go to Win2K or XP because I want to run 1 Gig of DDR-2100. I hear that even WinME and 512MB of DDR gets whiny after a while. I'm currently running 256MB of DDR-2100. Here are the complete stats, but they were dead-stock for the reinstalls:

ECS K7S5A motherboard, 04292002 bios. O/C to 138/138 (276 FSB) for a XP 1900+ setting from 1800+ stock (1600Mhz from 1533)

Piles of extra fans for cooling inside the case (2 x 105mm Compaq SilentCool fans sucking air in, 1 80mm blowing it out, one of the Compaq fans is blowing directly on the RAM bank / heatsink for the CPU, one is cooling the vid card, mobo at that end.

PINE GeForce 2 Ti, stock settings on the GPU and RAM. Running the latest WHQL-certified Detonator drivers for Win9X/ME - 30.82

20 Gig 5400 RPM Western Digital HD - ATA-100 connection

1 x Sony 8x4x32 burner, 1 x 44x generic CD-ROM drive

Onboard sound, LAN (all with proper drivers)

When I play anything except Quake 3 in WIn2K/XP, when either a bare-bones install or fully patched and updated, I never hit the main menus of the game.My monitor cycles once, goes into power-save mode (as if the comp was shut down) and the system locks. A hard-boot is the only way out.

I've disabled the power management features in each OS, disabled power management in the BIOS, nothing works. Tried different versions of the drivers (21.83, came with the card; 30.82; new 40.41s), nothing matters.

What needs to be kept in perspective is that in WinME, everything is flawless. I never lag, dunno where that came from. I love my framerates in my games in ME, and I know I can duplicate those results in a windows NT-based OS.

I can't seem to find a workaround or a solution, and unless proven differently, I believe the problem lies with the Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Anyone with ideas, fire away. I'm THIS close to making my seller take the board back and getting me an ASUS or other board.

Ideas on a replacement board?

Originally posted by Logan[TeamX]
    Update: I disabled Vsync in teh OpenGL properties page of my Nvidia properties. I now max out at 100 FPS in CS (the Half-Life engine limit). Still locked at 91-92 in Q3 and 85 in UT.

Thats the highest the Quake III engine will let you go unless you edit the config file.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; 09-11-2002 at 06:59 PM.

I've just had somthing of a revelation, and before I sink the extra cash into the idea... I want to know if I am on the right track. I might have a few certifications, but I am by no means a system-building guru, and I admit that freely.

I'm going to check the amperage labels on my 300W power supply tonight. I have a feeling, for some reason, that I might not be putting out enough amperage to run my games in Win2K. It's something of a crazy hypothesis, but it just might be the reason. I also might move up to a 350 watt or 400 watt power supply anyways, for the reduced stress on the power supply's components for the power I need. I'd rather spend a little more and have ooodles of power, rather than be right near my limit and not know it.

I have some white papers from AMD that tell me how to calculate all of this, so I'll do that tonight after work.

Does my theory hold water, or am I just thinking too hard during some slow time here at work today?

Thanks,

Logan[TeamX]

More POWER!!
    MS MCP, MCSE

40x cr*pped out my system just as described by Logan, took BBP advice and its working like a proper G2 again.

I strongly urge you, if you still got XP, to completely erradicate all nvidia drivers and re-install 23.11

Works for me, first time I have run 3d2001 in months.

BTW games worked fine in W2K, Wolfenstein and UT.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Ammok, could you post a link to the 23.11 drivers for me?

Thanks,

Logan[TeamX]

Yip

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

now i can't post an exact link cos hes got a stop on that, but

when you get ther its videocard files->nvidia-> and about page four, be careful as there is a win9x, nt and xp 23.11 file.

Was going to email it ya, but its 6mb.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

I think I have the solution... I've downloaded a 6MB AGP patch from SiS that includes my chipset (SiS 735). Going to install Win2K Pro this weekend and try it.

I'll keep you all informed as to how it works.

Logan[TeamX]