Thread: mobo problems with RAM

mobo problems with RAM

My problem is... When I try adding more DDR 2100 ram to my mobo (box says it support 3gbs of ddr333 with backwards technology) the power LED light showing on the case flickers not off , but dimmer then what it normally looks like when just 1 stick is inside... With just 1 stick, it works fine , but I want to add more cause I like playing games. My BIOS has tons of features including voltage settings, and everything I need to tweak my system, but I have no idea what they do. Could changing voltage to the RAM do anything.. im kind of a newb when it comes to mobos and bios... Does this power failure look like the problem? (It recognizes the ram, windows loads up, but when I play a game or do a tech demo that requires a lot of resources, it restarts.. and the power LED flickers when it does major loading and video processing..)

Soyo KT-333 Dragon Lite
    AMD 1.2 Ghz (upgrading within 2 weeks xp athlon 2600)
    Visiontek Xtasy GeForce 4 Ti 4200
    (3) DDR 256 2100 Ram chips (only 1 inside)
    350 Watt Power Suply
    40 GB HD
    here I come I come I come

I'm fairly certain that this isn't a PS problem (taken, your PS could be going bad) becuase I have nearly the same specs as your system in one of mine except i have PC2700 ram...

1 stick works, how about 2? Maybe it's faulty ram, but i'd like to know if someone else has more knowledge on this because I have a friend experiencing the same problem..

-B

Ultimate Member
    This looks more like a faulty DIMM that draws way too much power.

i agree on this one, seems like one of those sticks are drawing more power, at least enough to dim your diode light.

i wonder if it might be related to the same RAM slot 3 problem with many mobos

=( =( =(

Which has the problems the ones near the CPU or away? I wish computer installtion didnt give me ****!

past experiences and on different mobos the 3rd slot further away from the cpu

or the 2nd slot close to the CD/ROMs

i spent like 15 minutes trading in and out ram cards (3 of them) and they dont seem to work with 2 or more inside with the restart of the machine when something heavy loads...

could setting the items to 100/100 possibly fix my problem?