Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo 2 with 12x2 chips = how much RAM in total?

Voodoo 2 with 12x2 chips = how much RAM in total?

hi,

I have found a guy who wants to sell his Voodoo 2, but he apparently can't tell me the Model and how much RAM it has. Now I asked him to get more specific and he told me after some research that his card has 12 chips on the front and 12 on the back (wherever) which would make 24 chips in total and that his friend told him that each chip supposed to have 0,5 MB. That'll mean the card has 12MB in total.

Is this true? Has one chip 0,5 MB and can I verify it somehow?

Ultimate Member
    12mb was the norm for voodoo 2 cards

--Jakk

oh, if that's so

(pretty hard to find such info on the net, no place I know to find out how much RAM a single chip has)

what'd you think 20,- EUR would be enough?

Ultimate Member
    Erm, we still go in £'s over here (and long may it live), so im not sure... sounds cheap though...

--Jakk

The Voodoo 2 normally has 8mb or ram or 12mb or ram.

Though once a number of years ago I saw that at one shop there was a Voodoo 2 which has 24mb. It was Voodoo 2 SLI cards on one card. Maybe you have this card.

Though I haven't seen this card lately, maybe you should try to get some program that can show you specifications on that video card. Maybe SISandra 2002 or something though I not sure it will detect add-on 3d video cards.

Voodoo 2's usually came in 4mb, 6mb, 8mb, & 12mb.
    Uses SGram which usualy came in .5mb chips or max 1mb chips... you can do easy math with that info, but who cares, when you already know now it's 12mb

Loved the voodoo2, I have 3 of'em a 4mb, a 8mn, and a 12mb

Didnt someone release a 16 mb Voodoo2? Im almost positve, maybe it was Creative Labs. I cant remember where I read it.

Your thinking of the 3D Blaster VooDoo Banshee 16mb, which used the voodoo2 chipset, and it was a stand alone card

Originally posted by Sark
    Didnt someone release a 16 mb Voodoo2? Im almost positve, maybe it was Creative Labs. I cant remember where I read it.

Actually, I think you're talking about Quantum3d. They released a voodoo2 that was actually 2 voodoo2s running in SLI on a single board. Actually, Sharky Extreme mentions a voodoo2 16 mb that is 2 voodoo2s with 8 mb, and a voodoo2 24 that is 2 voodoo2s with 12 mb.

Interesting

(No sarcasm intended)

Ultimate Member
    Indeed there were 16mb voodoo 2's if i recall coreectly, but the Banshee's where the more numerous of the 16mb cards

--Jakk

Banshee had higher clock speeds but only 1 TMU compared to Voodoo2, hence much lower results in multitexturing.
    I'd take Voodoo2 over Banshee any given minute
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Voodoo2's only came in 8mb or 12mb configuration.

Voodoo1's came in 4mb or 6mb (Canopus) configuration.

There was never a 16mb V2 (the 12mb limit was MAX for the chipset), however I can see where the misunderstanding may come from.

Under SLI configuration, whether it's with two 8mb or two 12mb cards, texture memory is NOT cumulative. The same textures are loaded twice for each card. Only framebuffer memory is combined (4mb for each card). So even though you see the advertisement for "24mb SLI" or even Quantum's "24mb Obsidian V2", these are effectively only 16mb cards, which is why the control panel will only report 16mb of memory with some drivers.

8mb V2 + 8mb V2 = 12mb SLI (8mb framebuffer, 4mb texture memory)
    12mb V2 + 12mb V2 = 16mb SLI (8mb framebuffer, 8mb texture memory)

If the card is installed and the last set of 3dfx drivers are used, you should be able to verify how memory is on the card via the 3dfx control panel.

Ultimate Member
    ...your probably righrt about that - prolly SLI i was thinking of -- its been such a long time since i even read anything about the voodoo 2, hell they were going out just as i was coming into PC's

--Jakk

Finally, I got the card!

Paid 15,00- € for it

15,00 € = 9,50 £ = 14.93 $

It took me some time to track down the manufacturers' page though and I even managed to find the original drivers made by the manufacturer of my card, but while I was searching I've found a great website dedicated to Voodoo cards, that has everything a Voodoo owner might need, so even if those original drivers won't work I have plenty others to choose from @ Voodoofiles

For the record and all the bored ppl out there here's what I gathered until now:

Manufacturer: Procomp Informatics
    Model: G111 (Rev 1.0)
    Chipset: Voodoo2
    Picture of the card: direct link (My card looks the same, there are only two differences: mine has "Rev 1.0" while the one on the picture shows "Rev 0.9", also my card has a heatsink on the rightmost 3Dfx chip you see on the pic)

=== Procomp's websites:
    http://www.procomp.com.tw/ - I guess it's their "new" site with links to different departments (?)
    http://www.procompusainc.com/main.htm - Procomp Informatics website
    http://www.procompusainc.com - yes, another Procomp Informatics site, seems like two webmasters can't decide whose page is better

=== some info regarding Procomp G111 drivers
    http://www.driverforum.com/graphics/6784.html

=== various descriptions of my card (or a similar product )
    DVD Lab, Inc. - Products - G111
    http://www.eyes.com.tw/word/others/bo-chan/e5.htm - I don't know why the model number is shown as "BO-G111", perhaps it's a slightly different card described here, but according to this description the "BO-G111" can go up to "1024x768 High color" and I thought a single voodoo2 without SLI can reach only 800x600? Anyway, I'll check that out later.

And last but not least, I've found this kinda funny webpage: http://www.procomp.com/not_procomp.html - I feel kinda sorry for the poor guys who had to put this page on their website, they must've been pretty annoyed by the time they did it.

Tomorrow I'll try to install the sucka and now it's time for some