Thread: System build?

System build?

I've got the itch to build a system and maybe overclock it.I have 2 OEM rigs that i could rob parts from and buy the rest(1) an HP P3 500 and (2) a P4 1.6ghz(willamette).What type system would suit my needs best........I like the chat rooms,burnin cd's,lookin at pics, downloading files and just cruzein around the net and sending e_mail's.I thought i read along time ago here someone with similar interests and usage was recomended a dual processor system.Anybody care to confirm or deny of recomend otherwise?

I figure at the least......i need an op system,motherboard,case,maybe another cpu and good memory.I should be able to use my cd/rw,dvd,floppy,hard drive, souns card,video card.......and i could get by with the memory i have for awhile.

My P3 was fast but crashed all the time(i read that was prolly cause of win 98se.........my P4 didn't impress me with speed.....but is rock solid(read that was cause of win xp....but for the most i've read that win 2k is the op sytem of choice among the users here that use win op systems.

OK........sugesstions...........coments.......a hekler from the peanut gallery,lol.................lets hear it. Thanks Dig

May I suggest, for a first time OC, fry an old machine first. The HP bios probably won't give many OC options, but you could swap out the mobo. That way you won't lose too much $$ if you do fry it, and it's a good learning experience.

That is probably sound advice especially for a first time novice.My old rig the P3,i liked very much.It was pretty fast i thought for a 500ghz,but it always crashed a lot.Thats why i bought the new one.After reading through this site.....and a few others i now gather it was 2 things that made it crash.Lol,i never cleaned it(it was really disgusting when i got around to it after 2 years)and Win 98se.Geuss that leaves me buying Win 2k a new motherboard and a case as well.Any comments on a good board,i think it's a slot 1 cpu.
    Thanks Dig