Thread: How can I...Klez...

Hybrid View

How can I...Klez...

One of my (former) customers has a Klez infection, but he doesn't believe me and won't (can't?) take care of it. I've tried everything, short of travelling miles & breaking in, to get him to fix it or remove my name from his address book. Of course, my AV catches it, but every time he gets on the internet I know it.

At this point, I'm considering other solutions, including finding some way to send him a script that will delete my address from his machine. But I'm not a scripter and don't know how I'd go about it.

Understand, I don't want to be malicious and cause other damage. I just am tired of receiving a half-dozen klez-laden emails each week from him.

Any ideas?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Send him an email stating that you will be blocking his email address in your system. You will not be answering an more of his emails since you will never know he sent you one. If he needs to contact you he will have to phone you or use snail mail.

Short, sweet, polite, and direct!

Did that. Unfortunately the virus is spoofing email addresses and some of his contacts are also my contacts. Some even come under the guise of MY email address (an account I've closed). If I block them all, I'm sure to lose some support business.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I am getting 2-5 klez per day. Many of them are mailer deamons claiming that one of my emails is being returned.

What is worth more to your business? Losing a client or two or wiping out your computer system and all of your business records?

Cut your loses to the minimum and filter the email.

Symantec has a fix tool specifically for the Klez at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...er/FixKlez.com

It's only a 134kb file, you could sent the link, or the actuall fix tool to him and have him run it from safe-mode.

Trend micro also has a fix at:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/secu..._klez_4.21.zip

It's 590 kb, he would have to have Winzip or PKZip or other utility to unzip and then run the utility.
    Personally I would email the norton fix (only 1 file) directly to him and have him run the attachment.

jray

you can also warn the peeps in his contact list. but then again you can remotely do things to his pc