Thread: running raid with a gigabyte ga 8irxp

running raid with a gigabyte ga 8irxp

Just wondering, has anyone successfully loaded and ran winxp he or winxp pro in a stripped raid array with 2 same size and same model of hd's on this p4 mb.

A gigabyte 8irxp mb.

If any of you did, how???

Just a curiousity???

Board will work fine if raid controller is instead setup as a standard ultra 133 controller in the bios.

Stripped Raid will work fine if loading and running win98 se.

Xp compatibility issue????

Using supplied drivers from Gigabyte's website.

I do believe xp will run fine if 1 hd is the default ide controller and 2 separate hds are on the raid controller.

But, I want to try just 2 hds loaded with an O/S on the raid itself.

Thanks
    Darth Bill Gates is on the Dark Side of the Force. Linux Penguin, Jedi Knight, will lead him away from it.

You haven't told us where things went wrong. There's no reason why XP wouldn't work on a RAID 0 array unless you didn't read the manual and load the drivers during setup.

Press F6 as soon as text-mode setup begins and have the drivers for the RAID controller handy on a floppy.

Win98 is a no-brainer for using RAID. WinXP necessitates RTFM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Did you Go into the RAID setup screen, during POST?

Did you create the RAID 0 configuration?

Did the RAID controller prepare the partition for you?

Has the RAID been mounted yet?

BipolarBill, yes, I use the raid, not the ultra 133 drivers, on a fd and make sure to select f6 when running the xp cd for the 1st time.

Question?? What the He** does BipolarBill mean????

I keep thinking this name is related to some disgruntled postal worker with an Ak-47.

AllGamer, Yes to all 4 questions.

What mainly happens when installing either xp he or xp pro and selecting the proper raid controller driver from floppy disk, end up with a b.s.o.d. shortly after that.

I know that xp directly identifies the raid with it's own driver database, but the ones from www.giga-byte.com are the proper drivers.

That's why I first used win98 to make sure it wasn't a hardware related issue.

Xp will work fine if I use a 3rd hd directly attached to the main ide controller and use two others on the raid itself.

but, I'm experimenting to get xp to work on the raid with just 2 hds instead of 3 in a striped set.

But, I'm having very little success with this kind of setup.
    Darth Bill Gates is on the Dark Side of the Force. Linux Penguin, Jedi Knight, will lead him away from it.

What is the error message in the BSOD? There are many different kinds. Does it refer to a lack of a boot device?

Promise has made major changes lately in both their BIOS and drivers. If you try using a recent driver and an old BIOS, you may fail. Win9x is less sensitive to this. My FastTrack100 would not work with the new drivers until I flashed the BIOS.

Bipolar refers to the mood disorder of the same name. I get cranky when someone knowledgable asks for explicit help, but chooses to not provide sufficient detail.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks for clearing up that definition of your forum name.

I thought I gave as much info as possible regarding the problem. I'll try to be more precise.

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention to the error message.

But, I do know it is not related to a lack of a boot device, because it will copy files from cd to hd for a few minutes and then the bsod will happen.

I double checked to make sure both maxtor hds are okay, I used the powermax diag utility, both passed the quick and comprehensive tests with flying colors.

Since the promise ata 133 ultra/raid controller is integrated onto the board, any bios revisions or driver updates are through gigabyte only I'm afraid. Any bios fixes for the controller is usually included in the bios updates for the mb itself.

I haven't tried any drivers from promise's website due to the fact this is an integrated controller and most places recommend using drivers supplied by the manufacturer of the board.

I guess you'll have to try the install once more and record the error.

To be sure, WinXP setup will indeed copy all files to the hard drive sometimes and then get stubborn on reboot with 3rd-party IDE controllers. My personal experience with the Ultra100 TX2 is that WindowsXP prefers the Windows 2000 drivers or the WindowsME drivers.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'll do that.

I'll see about doing it this weekend when I get some spare time.

Currently borrowing a videocard and hd from that system right now.

Will let you now about the results.