Thread: Sony motherboard

Sony motherboard

Too bad i hadn't found this forum before i bought my last computer.I've hung around and learned a lot here,but i'm stuck with trying to upgrade what i have at this time,which is a Sony PVC-650RX.I think it has an ASUSTEK P4B266LM motherboard,I then looked at the ASUS website but couldn't find any info on this board.I'd like to upgrade to a P4 2.4ghz Northwood and get some good DDR sdram,with plans to get a new motherboard later.I see all the aftermarket Asus P4 266 boards are upgradeable to 2.4ghz,any info would be of help.Thanks.

Ummmm a lil info prolly wouldn't hurt
    P4 1.6ghz (willimette)
    512mb Hynix PC2100 DDR
    80 gig ultra ATA/100 hard drive
    TNT2 M64 video card
    16x/10x/40x cd-rw
    16x dvd
    Last edited by digginthis43; 08-29-2002 at 09:29 PM.

Well, first off, this is a OEM board that Asus isn't going to support. HP uses Asus as well, and Asus doesn't supply support for OEM customized boards. The CPU limitation is not going to be in the hands of Asus, but of Sony as they made the pre-fab BIOS for the Asus board. Only Sony can tell you what you can go up to in CPU speed.

I can already here you say this: "Oh, can I flash to an Asus BIOS?" Probably not. OEM's use their custom BIOS as a fail-safe for recovery systems (you know when you want to format your HDD?), so that the software bundle for the Vaio can't be extracted for piracy distribution. Flash to an Asus BIOS and your computers' recovery system may say "Sorry, can't recognize this system.." or something similar.

If you can't use your new CPU, you are SOL.

Well i have written an e-mail off to Sony..........geuss i'm gonna have to wait to hear from them,thanks for the reply.

or.........i could get the memory later.........an get the board and the cpu now
    Last edited by digginthis43; 08-29-2002 at 09:40 PM.

i just bought a PCV-RX755 and was wondering the same thing. Also how do you find out which board you have in you computer because i can't find much? thanks

If you have an Asus board, take a look at the 2nd or 3rd PCI slot, in there it should say "P4..." for a P4 board and "A7...." for an AMD Athlon based board. If you board is green, then it's a toss, it could either be an Intel OEM board, or an MSI. MSI usually has a trademark "1996" marker on some of their boards, and can also be red in color. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same board as dig's, being a P4 and DDR based.
    Last edited by Antix; 08-29-2002 at 10:23 PM.

I went to PC Pitstop and ran their test,you have to join their forum,thats where i got most of the information on my stystem.
    hope that helps,Dig

Originally posted by digginthis43
    I went to PC Pitstop and ran their test,you have to join their forum,thats where i got most of the information on my stystem.
    hope that helps,Dig
    thaks alot , peace

Yep, I wouldn't flash that bios with an Asus bios update. For one thing, many oem boards (such as Sony, HP) have a different size for their bios chips than boards you can get from a computer shop. Found one thread on google where the guy flashed the same board you have with a P4B266M bios and ruined his board. Looks like he'll have to get a new bios chip.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1

Hey Omega31......thanks for the heads up on the bios flash.I didn't get a e_mail back from Sony........so i called them awhile ago and the tech told me I prolly couldn't do it.......somethin bout the software is for the 1.6 only.So...........if i'm gonna upgrade it looks like a new board.....cpu......and operating system as well,maybe a new care i don't know if i can get a aftermarket board in this oem case. Thanks for the info,Dig

This kinda sucks oh well ill just have to sell this one later whin i want to up grade thanks for the help peeps thanks much

I have a Sony RX-540 with a 1.20GHz Celeron and have been tryin to do the same thing. I found the model # on the mobo (TUSL-LV), which are Asus in form but they're not listed on their website.
    I also sent an e-mail to Sony but I'm not holdin my breath waitin on them. I've looked into upgrading, overclocking, and maybe changing the mobo and cpu. But Sony seems to have done a good job at making their stuff tamper-proof. At thia point the only option seems to be upgrading but the celeron upgrade available is minimal and not worth the money.
    I'm now starting my research on building my first system which appears to be a more cost effective route for me. Hope you find what you're lookin for. good luck.

My test result here:
    Sony PCV-RX650, with Asus P4B266LM MB bios up to sony's 1004, there is still no way to tweeking in bios.
    I decided to take a test, 2 weeks before 1-yr warranty.
    Flashed it w/ Asus p4b226m or E bios. Dead. no boot, power for only about 1 second. I turned it in for warranty and it just came back, Free, no charge.
    The bios is soldered (no socketed or removable) to mb. So no way to take it out and reflash.
    So wait til some eeprom grogramer hacks and posts the cracked bios, live w/ it.
    hehe.

hey........for anyone that has one of these........an update....i threw a 2.4 400fsb cpu in mine........it recognized it an ran just fine.....i did flash the new bios from sony before i tried it

Digginthis43 -new here and i happen to have just picked up the same comp.

I was wondering how it turned out after your Proc upgrade to the 2.4 with heat stability etc.

If Digginthis43 is still here - or if anyone else has done this with ther Sony PCV-RX650 would like to hear the results using the1004 bios upgrade with what ever proc upgrade.

TIA
    chase