Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia n 40 drivers

Originally posted by foxwolfen

Man, I am a Canadian, I support Canadian companies, but ATI needs to get its head out of its *** and stop thinking they know what they are doing, go back to school and start fresh... I have not had one ATI card that I liked.
    Wha about the 9700 ?

that thing has been sold out the very first week it was released

i've been using ATI + nVidia + Matrox all along, and i like ATI and Matrox more overall

Matrox for business needs, and ATI for Graphical stuff and Games

nVidia is more of a test bench and to compare which games looks better in which card.

BTW, never had a single problem with any of the above.

i even had to force Feed a AGP card onto an AGP mobo that had no option to turn off the onboard AGP, so i set them up as a dual video ATI + S3 LOL , also nVidia + S3

those were the crappy PCChips mobos

Dunno about the 9700. Me, im not prepared to spend 500 dollars for a card that will be obsolite in six months.

As for the earlier versions, (8000, 7000, LE, Rage Fury pro...) the 2d is absolutely abismal, the worst I have seen in years, but typical of every ATI card I have owned. 16 bit settings in 3d also were remarkably ugly. IBM seemed to love installing them in their machines which explained why they were such poor performers. It confused the hell out of us techies as we all new the cost of the nvidia cards were no higher but performance levels and visial quality were far far superior.

As for matrox, I loved my old mystique 220. Combined with NEC's PVR addin card, I had 32bit ingame graphics at 30fps about two years before the rest of the world even knew what 3d was

Bringing this back on-topic, I have since removed the Det40.41 drivers as the anomolies were too great. I am going to post a note about my experiences this weekend as I ripped out all versions of windows, and finally solved the BSOD problem once and for all, with out having to use the beta drivers.

PS. I am actually enjoying this forum, the people here are all pretty smart and rational people. It is refreshing to engage in a forum with this level of maturity.

I wonder what's wrong with people having problems with the 40.x drivers
    i ran them by now on 12 diff machines with no problems
    and ran 3DMarks several times already

Originally posted by AllGamer
    I wonder what's wrong with people having problems with the 40.x drivers
    i ran them by now on 12 diff machines with no problems
    and ran 3DMarks several times already
    I suspect the problems are due to driver interaction with other system components that may not be present on the machines you tested. I think it's time to develop a web based DB to track the various chipset/vid/mb/memory combo's and see what has the most problems...

I am begining to suspect it is one of three possible things (again on my machine)

1. a problem with the SB PCI128 (this was a mistake to buy and I regret it.)

2. AGP mini-port drivers being out of date (sis seems to have forgotten about their 735 series).

3. Coolbits tweak. It is the source of non-SP1 crashes on my machine.

FoxW

you might be onto something there..

all of my machines that i've installed 40.x and ran test on them had SP3 with all the other windows update.

Originally posted by AllGamer
    Which GeForce do you have?
    i'm, using the crappy GF4 MX
    and i get all the settings all the way to 1600x1200, actually more, but i doubt it's of any real use in a 19"

but yeah that option you said it's listed

and i'm able to change the refresh rate to 85 hz, easily without any Hacking tool
    I have GF2MX400 64MB.
    Actually, I can adjust the settings too, but I don't have an option fore only some resolution, as for example, 1280*960 (which is 4:3 --- 1280*1024 is 5:4).

And, I can change my RR too, but after a bugfix I have some pluses:
    a) after a resolution changes I always get an optimal RR;
    b) games are working on optimal RR, not 60Hz.

Nvidia Refresh Rate Fix didn't help too.

Maybe, I need a newer version of RivaTuner (I have RT 2.0 RC11 now)?
    Last edited by Kurylo; 09-10-2002 at 04:17 PM.

Originally posted by Kurylo

Nvidia Refresh Rate Fix didn't help too.

Maybe, I need a newer version of RivaTuner (I have RT 2.0 RC11 now)?
    In my experience, riva tuner and NRRF MkII have caused me nothing but grief... Most of the riva tuner settings are completely useless and possibly dangerous. Nrrf also causes me problems and never seems to work...

Here is what I use:

Coolbits to unlock the advanced settings within the driver (rivatuner uses it as well but goes way beyond what is required)

Reforce.exe to set all modes to a refresh you like...

Both work well (though coolbits causes some problems for me in XP prior to XPSP1). Both are available at majorgeeks.com.

NVMax is problematic in XP, but works fine in 9x.

If you can't find coolbits... simply create a text file in wordpad, name it coolbits.reg and copy the following into it:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvTweak]
    "CoolBits"=dword:00000003

(Make sure the stuff between each [ ] is all on one line and there is a space between nvidia and corporation.)

Save it, right click on the file and click merge. Or you can type it into regedit directly.

As for Reforce, gimme an email address and i'll mail it to you its only 169kb. With it the only thing to watch out for is the fact that nvidia always puts a new monitor definition in when you install new drivers, thus you may have more than one listed. just do the same for all and it should work fine.

Det 40.41 seems to have the fix already built in, as I did not need reforce with them, but they are a bit buggy still.

FoxW

Reforce, or RefreshForce, can be had here:
    http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

Thanks for helping, I'll try...

I lost over 1000 points by installing the 40.41 drivers ~ I immediately went back to the 30.82 drivers

what are your specs?

Originally posted by salandar
    I lost over 1000 points by installing the 40.41 drivers ~ I immediately went back to the 30.82 drivers
    HOLY ****!

that's NUTs!

over 1k point man, there's something Seriously wrong there.

what nVidia do you have?

I have the geforce4 4400 MSI board...

I'm not sure if I installed the new drivers incorrectly or something ~ I just downloaded the file, downloaded the patch fix, ran the patch fix first to get rid of duplicate entries, restart, ran the new installer for the 40.41 drivers, restart, and ran 3dmark.

I wasn't very happy with the score It may just be my issue because for some reason, I can't seem to install software right ever. I can't get everquest running, I have a decent system, and can't get scores above 10,500 in 3dmark.

AMDXP2200+ CPU
    MSI KT333 Ultra ~ ms6380e mobo
    Corsair DDR2700 333MHz RAM
    Maxtor 40gb 7200rpm hdd
    MSI GeForce4 4400

I really think my bottleneck is in the crappy mobo i have:/

Banned
    i have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!

very odd indeed you system look Good
    in fact better than mine

Did you check your AGP?

is it set at 4x AGP or 2x AGP?

did you set your AGP Aperture to 1/2 size of your Video RAM ?

did you enablve AGP write, Read, etc, etc, etc??

try that