Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: recommend a capture card

Hybrid View

recommend a capture card

can someone recommend a card that will be used to display an analog or svideo video source on a high end flatscreen? or direct me to a source of good info? already been through a lotta google links and searches, but i need more direction. DV input not needed but would be nice. prefer under 300 bucks.

thanks!
    rafael

Gone
    He said capture card not video card/capture which is ALOT more $.....
    What OS are you using? Let me know.

hello and welcome to sysopt.!!!

correct me if am wrong you are lookin for a Tuner Video Capture card???

hello and welcome to sysopt.!!!

correct me if am wrong you are lookin for a Tuner Video Capture card???

I think this is a good one
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

I am using XP Pro. I don't need it to have a tuner because the signal it will be taking is from a Time Warner digital cable box on the composite video out, or svideo. I don't think a tuner card can take the digital cable signal...

I got an ATI TV Wonder card since it was pretty cheap and had the needed input. I wanted to test it on my home system before I put it in the target system, but my Permedia 2 card apparently does not support video overlay. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I could not see what. It is a cheesy system anyway.

Thanks for the help folks - I look forward to hearing more.

Gone
    Check on your video card. It says my G3 doesnt support overlay but yet it does. Heck its in the control panel. So ignore it and install anyhow it'll work if so. Thats why I asked which OS I was gonna tell you not to get the ATI TV Wonder or Ve.....

ok cool. If it does not work with my system it is no big deal, I just wanted to test it out. The system it will end up in will have a pretty cutting edge card in it.

Is there another card I should look at for my purposes?

Gone
    "Is there another card I should look at for my purposes?"

What are you going to do? Record fav. tv shows when out like HDDTv or similar. Make backups of old vcr tapes? Watch tc on pc. Output to tv also? Explain what your purposes are. One things for sure you dont have to get a all in wonder now as you already have a cature card so a G3 or up will be fine as it has tv out s-video digital keystone corection for projectors and so on. Nvidias cards look good but ATI is a little smoother (not in speed I mean apearence). So how picky about detail are you? Or are you a gamer and want tv stuff aswell? Give me some details of your typical pc useage. This will vary the cards that are right for you.

I just want to watch CNN etc on my puter while I work. Don't need it to be perfect, I probably will not even record anything. I will keep it in a small window. Not picky.

Ultimate Member
    Any simple PCI TV card will get you past the capturing task. If you want S-Video input, then shop for that feature. Mind you, the Windows drivers for those usually suck beyond words.

The displaying part of the story largely depends on your graphics card. "Overlay" support must be there (and working, driver quality again ...). Then you can run video-in-a-window, or fullscreen. Mind you that most graphics cards cannot scale the overlay UP, only DOWN ... so be prepared for 640x480 fullscreen (or 768x576 if you're in Europe).

I'm running a DVD player like that, hooked to the TV card's video-in. Display is a dual head Radeon 7500LE, with the 2nd head used for little but showing fullscreen TV, DVD, or VLM.

regards, Peter

Gone
    Agree's with peter!

help once again

Sorry for being such a pain but...

the TV Wonder ended up having a few annoying bugs that will be enough to make it unuseable for this purpose. (ATI tech support will only help out if your graphics card is ATI). The Matrox 450 eTV will not work since it is AGP and so is the Parhelia that will be in the system. Argh. I would like to match up the brands if it would help with compatibility. Any suggestions besides ATI?

thanks again.

Originally posted by $1500-P4 gamer
    Agree's with peter!
    i agree's too

which is odd, peter and i hardly agrees on anything when it comes to hardware

Re: help once again

Originally posted by rafaelg
    Sorry for being such a pain but...

the TV Wonder ended up having a few annoying bugs that will be enough to make it unuseable for this purpose. (ATI tech support will only help out if your graphics card is ATI). The Matrox 450 eTV will not work since it is AGP and so is the Parhelia that will be in the system. Argh. I would like to match up the brands if it would help with compatibility. Any suggestions besides ATI?

thanks again.
    there is the USB ATI

have you tried the MATROX Rainbow ?

there's this one made by Zoltrix, i wonder if it accepts S-Video

there was this one made by Iomega, but they stopped making them

also was this other one called Snappy

and then it comes the professional level of the stuff which usually cost over $2000 just for a stupid card that does the same thing the ATI can do, and has even worse driver and support.

so go figure