Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is thermal paste a "must"?

ok.. i managed to scrap off the thermal pad - looked like plasticne/plastic.. but the area doesn't look very clean, and has my scrape marks in from my knife, i've tried to even it out though...

when i add the thermal paste, do i just add a drop in the centre of the CPU and then put the heatsink on, or do i need to spread in on the CPU evenly before i add the heatsink? if i need to spread it how even should it be?

also, does it matter if i get the thermal pasyte on the CPU?

help please!

Ultimate Member
    Check the url for the application guide i gave you earlier, its all there, step by step... (i dont just write things for the sake of it)

The long and short of it is - apply it to the CORE only (the raised black part of the CPU, and the area of the heatsink that will contact the core... nowhere else, you get it inbetween the CPU bridges and it could be good night vienna...

--Jakk

Is thermal paste a "must"?
    No. In fact it is no longer recommended by AMD. If you plan to overclock then it might help a little.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Originally posted by ukulele
    No. In fact it is no longer recommended by AMD. If you plan to overclock then it might help a little.
    Dear oh dear,

I think Mr & Mrs Arctic-Silver must be turning purple to
    hear that one

Me thinks this thermal paste stuff is a hot potatoe
    that needs binning

Me I use the Std White gooey stuff its cheap, it works

But if you have more money than sense go 4 it !

Originally posted by CrashNFreeze
    is this a good thermal paste? i bought it at the local computer store (when i say local, i mean about 30 minutes drive there and back).

Balance Stars 700 thermal compound:
    thermal conducitivity: 7.5W/m-k
    thermal resistance: 0.06G-in2/W
    10% silver included..

didn't come with any templates, just the syringe, red top. Lable looks real.

I know it might not compare to arctic silver, but is this thermal compound better to use than my Akasa AK785's thermal strip?

right now, i'm more inclined to the heatsink's thermal strip..
    Sounds to me that you have a chinese thermal compound which is totally **** you are wasting time and money go buy the real thing most of us here have told you to buy ARTIC SILVER 3 and you still are trying to substitute the quality thermal compound AS3 with a crappy thermal strip and a fake artic silver 3 .If you are going to buy thermal compound spend the extra money and buy a product that will last you for years and give you performance. Especially if you are going to overclock the cpu, you need ARTIC SILVER3 stop trying to take short cuts..

That artic thermal compound is **** sounds like you have one of the fakes mentioned in the ARTIC SILVER WEBSITE click here this is what you have a fake, get the real thing dude http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_fraud.htm

Also here is the ARTIC SILVER WEBSITE with info for ARTIC SILVER 3 http://www.articsilver.com/as3.htm

If for some reason you dont want to waste more money which you already have on a fake artic silver then you can also consider another High Quality Thermal Compound CALLED NANOTHERM which would come 2nd place to Artic Silver 3 and the price is affordable as well the site is here with reviews
    http://www.esgn.com/

Oh my God! Crash and Freeze almost used to wrong stuff. Please somebody help this man and send him a dab of the right stuff before he blows the whole town up!

thermal paste is not a must !
    you can use some car lubricating oil !
    try to drop 1 drop of the oil on your cpu core it works great !

Wow! Cool, 123eskk, did you ever try synthetic?

Originally posted by ukulele
    Oh my God! Crash and Freeze almost used to wrong stuff. Please somebody help this man and send him a dab of the right stuff before he blows the whole town up!
    I would hope that he did not blow himself and the town up yikes!!! j/k CrashNFreeze keep your family at sysopt posted about your decision and your final results thanks...

Ultimate Member
    Well ive always used a knife and its been alright , as long as he didnt go in rambo stylee and engrave hsi name into the base of the heatsink

PS If youve got crappy thermal paste, go to the nearest maplins and get there generic stuff - its very good for no name stuff

--Jakk

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Well ive always used a knife and its been alright......
    --Jakk
    Except when I tried the "Chainsaw" HE HE HE

Ultimate Member
    Actually best thing i would reccomend other than a razor blade is one of those laboratory spatulas (my dad works in a scientist and has some at home occasionally), theyre similar to butter knifes but the blades are extremely thin, i use em to both remove the pads and apply the paste... when i can get hold of one of course...

they are as they say - My Weapon Of Choice

--Jakk

I have some "Wonderful" Yakamoto Paste Thermal!

It has a thermal conductivity rating of: 4.0w/m~k

Thermal resistance of: >0.06 C-in5/W

Is that good?

Ultimate Member
    Sounds impressive - i wouldnt know - i just buy the cheap *****

--Jakk