Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is thermal paste a "must"?

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Well ive always used a knife and its been alright , as long as he didnt go in rambo stylee and engrave hsi name into the base of the heatsink

PS If youve got crappy thermal paste, go to the nearest maplins and get there generic stuff - its very good for no name stuff

--Jakk
    ok, update report:
    my comp hasnt blown up.. yet...

apart from the engraves on the heatsink, everything else ran ok (setting up the hard drive IDE ports was an absolute ***** - last time i get a mate to set the partitions!).

However, i'm not that impressed with the results of my thermal paste/heatsink experiment. If i had the chance to do it all again, i'd stick to the thermal strip on the heatsink. Next time, i'll stick with what i got, until i get experienced at these things. You live and learn.

CPU temp: 50-60oC. (On starting for first time it was about 40oC). It's only the high end once i've been running games for around 4 or 5 hours.
    System temp: 35-50oC.
    That's with 2 extra fans in there. It would be 3 fans, but i saw that the RPM on the heatsink fan were going from 5200 to around as low as 4200RPM in a flicker, that might be because of airflow.

btw, balance star is actaully mentioned on some sites, it's just not as popular or as affective as this mystic"arctic silver" stuff..

If my gigabyte GA7rVXP supported voltage settings, i would have changed the core voltage to lower the CPU temp.. but wouldnt ya know it.. it doesnt allow it i think? Any further tips on lowering the CPU temp?

I've had a few crashes, one because i wasn't running the correct BIOS, which caused a lock-up in games. Shorted that by downloading the latest BIOS.
    And i'm now getting monitor incompatabilies with the refresh rate i'm choosing. Either way, any crashes are down to my impatience and wrong graphics card set up. For instance, Max Payne is now freezing on cut scenes(?). i need a few more experiments to optimise my settings.

but still..

Not very pleased with the CPU temp. But i hear AMD's fry at 90oC, so i'm still a LONG way off. I'd have to leave my comp on for 72 hours all out Quake 3 fragging to reach boiling temp.. what i do have is doing the job, just not as well as i'd have hoped. Then again, might be cos of the stratches on the heatsink.

thank's for the replies all - & thank's for the e-mail Bigjakkstaffa.
    Last edited by CrashNFreeze; 08-25-2002 at 08:11 PM.

Originally posted by j.m@talk21.com
    I have some "Wonderful" Yakamoto Paste Thermal!

It has a thermal conductivity rating of: 4.0w/m~k

Thermal resistance of: >0.06 C-in5/W

Is that good?
    Not really.
    I hear arctic silver is around 8.5 - 9w/m-k
    Mine was 7.5.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Originally posted by CrashNFreeze

Not really.
    I hear arctic silver is around 8.5 - 9w/m-k
    Mine was 7.5.
    How comes you got 50-60 degs then?

could be your quoting me off a different scale?

I go 46 full load (Seti on all time) 24hrs a day
    read em & weep

what's full load mean?

it may surprise you learn i'm not alarmed by my CPU temp. I'm just disappointed with it. i've never installed a heatsink or CPU before. im getting around 52oC now. that's not way off..

cpu running at 100% capacity

Ultimate Member
    If it really concerns you that much you can always post asing for help with lapping and see if you can get rid of the scratches, although like i said ive run a couple of HS's with scratches and never had problems, you could also do a search for a program called Vcool, which will help bring dsown temps whilst in the OS but NOT whilst playing games or other intensive apps. Another suggestion would be to put a case fan onto the side case panel overhead of the CPU.

Oh yeah and keep the window open , if i leave mine shut my temps will go from about 37 - 39 up to 42 ish

Those temps seem a bit high for me but liek you say your within limits, but as a quick thing are you sure you have the CPU fan plugged into the COU fan header and not a Case fan header?

...and finally, if you choose to change your HSF at a later date, www.overclockers.co.uk have some real heavy duty stuiff

--Jakk

CrashNFreeze do you have a stock heatsink and fan or aftermarket?? If aftermarket what make?

I live in a city where ambient temp is rather high. It always hit 30 C.

My CPU is running @ 55C full load. Mobo is @ 34 C. So, since the difference between mobo and CPU is high, air flow inside the case is allright. I really need a better CPU cooler, since these default AMD hs / fans are a joke.

Almost forgot: Asus A7S333, 768 MB PC2100 DDR RAM, Athlon XP 2100+ running @ 137 FSB default multiplier.
    StealthNet.

Cooling Apparel Go HERE They Ship International Too!

Originally posted by StealthNet
    I live in a city where ambient temp is rather high. It always hit 30 C.

My CPU is running @ 55C full load. Mobo is @ 34 C. So, since the difference between mobo and CPU is high, air flow inside the case is allright. I really need a better CPU cooler, since these default AMD hs / fans are a joke.

Almost forgot: Asus A7S333, 768 MB PC2100 DDR RAM, Athlon XP 2100+ running @ 137 FSB default multiplier.
    You can check the reviews for heatsinks here at http://www.heatsinkdatabase.com

another site you can check reviews as well http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

I have just ordered a Thermal right SLK800 with a delta 80cfm fan to go with it. I dont have heat problems I just like shopping
    $49:00 for the SLK pretty good I thought.

AND NO i'm not going to use "Garlic Silver" or Whatever
    My Balance Stars stuff will do fine

Originally posted by j.m@talk21.com
    I have just ordered a Thermal right SLK800 with a delta 80cfm fan to go with it. I dont have heat problems I just like shopping
    $49:00 for the SLK pretty good I thought.

AND NO i'm not going to use "Garlic Silver" or Whatever
    My Balance Stars stuff will do fine
    Thermalright's SLK800 is a fine choice for Socket A cooling but I would definitely apply artic silver due to its cpu core thermal conductivity but what the heck you use what you like

When I next get to go out shop lifting I'll get some
    artic silver till then its CHEEEEEEPO'

hey big change from the fan avatar to the poop hilarious