Thread: Quick question about Swap File?? What is it and do I need it?

Quick question about Swap File?? What is it and do I need it?

Ok I am going back to my old config here, this Soyo MB with its UDMA33 sucks *****.

Ok setup
    AMD K6-II 500MHz
    Epox MVP4/J MB
    512 MB Ram
    G4/MX420 AGP (having to trade for a PCI cause the MB doesn't have an AGP)
    52x Cdrom
    8X cdrw
    For right now a 20 GB Maxtor and a 9 GB Seagate
    As of the 20th an 80GB Maxtor and the 20GB maxtor
    Running Win98se & Win2K Pro

Now I've been told I need a big Swap file so I can help improve my performance in the gaming area, and it would help in my performance in other areas also.

What is a Swap file, how do you create a big one and why do I need one??

Also on a second note, how would you suggest setting up this system, as far as where to install and how to insall?? I am gonn run everything on NTFS, except the partition for 98se, and a partition for music, that way both 98 and 2K can use that drive (is that right, can 2K still read Fat32 if in itself its on a NTFS drive?)

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at some other poor sucker.

The swap file is used for virtual memory. the computer uses hard drive space as virtual ram for process that require more ram than you have. it's better to have more ram, but i wouldn't run more than 512 in win98se.

you already have a swap file in both versions of windows. it is created automatically. you can specify the size of the swap file and it should help your performance. in win2k, you can create a second swap file on a second drive to help also. i wouldn't recommend moving the swap file since win2k needs a swap file on the system drive in case of memory dumps. In the past, you wanted to limit the swap file to between 1.5 to 2x the amount of physical ram you have. That is a bit much if you have 512, so 512 would probably be ok. just set the minimum and maximum sizes to the same amount.

for win98, go to mycomputer properties, performance, virtual memory

for win2k, go to mycomputer properties, advanced, performance options, virtual memory. you can limit your swap file on the c: drive to 128mb, then create a second swap file for the remaining 384mb on the second drive. this is just a suggestion.

yes, win2k can read fat32 or ntfs if the system files are on ntfs. this is just a suggestion:

20gb drive c:win98, d: win2k with 10GB each
    9gb drive e:music, second win2k swap file

Thanks that helped a lot. I am gonna reformat this thing probably tomorrow and start from scratch, except for the music files.

Then next week when my 80Gigger comes I will ghost everything over to it. And put all my music on the 20GB. The seagate is borrowed and going back when the 80 gets here.

So should I have a different partition for each o/s' apps and games, or should I just install everything on the same partition that the corresponding o/s is installed on?? Did that make any sense?

you'll have to install the apps for each OS, so you can just put them on the same partition as the system files. just keep a separate partition or drive for data files and a second swap file.

Ok will do I mean heck I got 80Gb+ to play with so I think I am covered. Not that I needed all that room, but got a great deal and always better to have extra space.

80Gb for less than a $1 a Gig is awsome.

Hi, take a look here, very interesting about Win9x/ME memory and resources.

http://aumha.org/a/memmgmt.htm

http://aumha.org/a/resource.htm

Pierre.

if you don't really want the SWAP/PAGE file, then you can setup a RAM drive if you can spear some RAM, and put your SWAP / PAGE file in there.

swap file virtual memory. If that option is simply left enabled, for gaming purposes, it really doesn't have to be messed with. The warnings are correct about some computer configs will not run without it. That's an old but accurate story.

The other uses, not worried about maximizing memory.
    It's important to note that the virtual memory stays on the drive, mostly, even during power off, it has been written. Also when considering the swap file and memory. To free drive space /resources, the swap file on some configs can be off, and deleted. The system then unplugged for a few. Then, when booted, you have some refreshed resources. And if needed, depending on your o/s and hardware, re enabling virtual memory and a reboot will give you back some of those gamer resources.
    Not technical, just works for me when I need to brother.