Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Cost Adjusted Comparison of the Athlon and Pentium 4

Bipolarbill,
    In the post "hasn't toms hardware gone downhill lately?", Didn't you post about how he always seems biased toward someone?

I donno, mighta been someone else. If ya ask me though, I don't think any of toms newer articles should be considered accurate unless they stop biasing everything

Gone
    Nope that was me. Unless BP also said the same thing. And its true, Tom's H is pro Intel one week and then pro AMD the next. Dont try to figure it out. Its just stupid like his website.

I think of the four major (now three Dell, Compaq/HP, Gateway) PC companies all but one offer Workstations with AMD CPU's in them. So about 75% of the vendors are willing to put their names on AMD's.

I sell virutally 99-100% AMD's for Workstations to my small business clients who average about 10 Workstations each. About 2/3's of the servers I sell are AMD with no problems related to the CPU or stability.

I usually bid both AMD and Intel for both workstations and servers so that my clients can have the best choice or best price performance. Since warranty labor comes out of my pocket, I monitor it very closely. There is no difference in RMA's related to Intel over AMD.

I think that the people complaining the most about AMD's have little experience with them and probably are just loud mouths who feel the need to push their views on everyone else. I think you guys are full of it.
    tony@computerfix-it.com

tonyscarpelli writes:
    I think you guys are full of it.
    Whoa!! I think some raw nerves are being exposed. Maybe we should tone it down a bit.
    Nah!! AMD Forever!!

(But only because I'm a cheap ******* and can't afford Intel.)

First of all, i really like reading THG, and how do you get that they are Pro Intel? Its after looking at their benchmarks, that i learned that AMD is better Mhz for Mhz then the Intel, and if your wondering why its "Pro Intel one week, and Pro AMD another", they do have more then one writer, and wouldnt you know, they have diff opinons, isnt that a crazy idea.

And another thing, whos the mod if this thread? You might want to kill this thing before it gets outa hand, ppl are really starting to get pissed at eachother.

i think you're right slade. before someone does kill this thing i'd just like to say i run a pair of Duron systems and the only time i have any problems is in summer, when i'm doing way too many things at once. and then it's only the 850, which has only standard cooling, that gives me any problems. windows XP Pro helps there, but if the hardware couldn't do it . . .

i've seen alot of reviews supporting both sides of this argument, and i have to say it depends on what you're going to be doing with it in the long run that should dictate your choice.

P4 for video and multimedia, AMD for games and business. and a Duron for audio-only work.

What? Kill a thread because it is too controversial? It is just this type of thread that makes Sysopt interesting. Bump the whiners, keep the thread. If somebody starts slinging ****, sling it back. The fact is if anyone is "full of it" it's probably me at least half the time, but do I care if someone offends me? Hell no, I love a good dog fight.

often disgression is the better part of valour

corrupted, what you say is true. I don't mean to come off as a rabble rouser, but this subject matter has forever been a topic of heated debate. People do indeed defend thier own decisions, right or wrong. They also tend to follow the crowd like lemmings on a death march. One year ago the trend was all for AMD on this forum. This year it is Intel, and for good reason, but not the reasons addressed in this current topic which is price/performance comparison. When it gets to the point of calling names to make a point then discretion is indeed a virtue, but the fact is the point was made and although it was not very diplomatic, there is a certain truth what Tony said. I don't see where any forum rules were broken and he is entitled to his opinion too. Open debate is healthy even if it gets a bit heated at times. Personally I got a good chuckle out of his response, but I always do try to look at the lighter side.

Let's keep this thing going, If you make a comment that someone else doesn't agree with they have a right to question that comment, it's called a discussion.

As for me, I can't wait til the day we can throw a "Virtual Punch" that'll knock someone out of thier chair ,

But I guess we will need more processing power and faster connection speeds for that.

Originally posted by ukulele
    What? Kill a thread because it is too controversial? It is just this type of thread that makes Sysopt interesting.
    We're doing OK in this thread. We're not doing a lot of personal attacks (although the occaisional slip in.) Debate is healthy -- particularly when both sides are open to learning about the other's position.

Rob

rbogue writes:
    Debate is healthy -- particularly when both sides are open to learning about the other's position.
    Sysopt has helped me, especially with the above. I used to be much more virulently anti-Intel. However, it was getting into heated debates with a very knowledgeable pro-Intellian that made me re-think my position (thanks P4 gamer). I respect Intel products much more than I used to. Now I just wish AMD had more money for developement. Both have become excellent CPU makers and thier competition is breeding excellence in the lightning fast advancement of computer technology.

Originally posted by tony_scarpelli
    I think of the four major (now three Dell, Compaq/HP, Gateway) PC companies all but one offer Workstations with AMD CPU's in them. So about 75% of the vendors are willing to put their names on AMD's.

Neither Gateway nor Dell offer AMD based workstations. HP/Compaq is one company. Only 1 of the 3 - NOT FOUR - major PC vendors is willing to put their names on AMDs. I have not checked, though, hp/compaq's site to confirm that they offer AMD workstations or if all of their AMD systems are targeted to the home market, in which case they would not be workstations.

Neither Gateway nor Dell offer AMD based workstations.
    Let's not get into semantics here. I know plenty of people who use home PC's for work stations. What's in a name?

I know this link is getting worn out, But ...I would love to see em do a cost\performance comparison with This Baby

Intels for breakfast anybody