Thread: Download streaming audio file?

Download streaming audio file?

...I know in most cases it defeats the purpose

However, is it possible to download an archived streaming audio file in its entirety onto your hard drive? I wish to listen to various archived radio programs and can't tie up bandwidth. Thanks.

yes it's possible, just search your Cache
    for the newest file with the latest timestamp, move it to another location, and saved and rename it to what you want.

depending on which player you use the Temp location is different

I run my sound system through a home stereo system which has a nice high quality tape recorder attached. When I want to save streaming media I just record it to tape. That way I can play it back without using any resources on the computer at all. Who says casette tapes are dead?

What about the Streaming Videos?

What about the Streaming Videos?
    If you have TV out, I would guess that same principle applies. You could save to a VCR tape, but I haven't tried that.

I tried finding the .rm file in cache (it was in doc & settings\Temp Internet Files) but that looks like it is merely a 1Kb pointer file that begins the stream again.

I can record the stream as a .wav at home with my Creative Recorder (the convert to MP3). In fact this works great. But I'm doing more work than I want. At work I just want to download the file and play it but I have yet found a way to find the actual file from which the stream is being produced.

It seems to me that all you will find is the file that starts the stream. The actual file is stored in a temporary cache and played from that. It updates as it goes. The material is copyrighted and not designed to be recorded digitally. There may be a work around but it can probably only done by using illegal software. I think if you record to tape and only use it for your own use that is is okay because you are not actually copying the origional digital file.

recording video

recently I've been recording allot of Video from Television and VCR onto pc ... what a pain ..

it eats harddrive space like there is no tomorrow and configuring sound is not much fun... but it works... if you really want to do it... let me know... I think I've got it mastered...
    William