Thread: Dell or WinXP???

Dell or WinXP???

Hi everyone,

My sister purchased a new dell desktop with WinXP home edition a couple of months ago. After one month the computer did not start up and gave here an error on winnt/system32 corrupt. I informed her that the regisrty is messed up so all I did was used her Winxp cd and booted off the cd and selected to repair option during installation. Everything ok, until last week. Now she is telling me that WindowsXP is not loading again. She said the computer froze up and she turned it off manually. Then tried to reboot and got the same error about the system32 being corrupt. I then elected to do a clean reinstall and reinstalled WinXP again. She calls last night and GUESS WHAT, you guessed it WinXP not working again. I got another call from my sister-in-law who also purchased a dell WinXP home edition pc and -by the way I did not touch her computer-She is have the same problem. Windows not starting up.

So is WinXP home edition that prone to crash or are the Dell systems bad??

I'm thinking of installing Win2K pro on both of their machines. What do you guys/girls think???

Wow these opens up for a whole new way to get some money back from Dell, but i'll not gonna get into it.

Yes, i definitely think it's more of a problem with the DELL PC than the WinXP software.

for as much as i don't like WinXP cuz of its too gay look, WinXp is a very solid OS compared to Win2K

so yes you can try to use Win2K on their PCs, but i think in a long run you'll see the same Problem.

Thanks AllGamer

Yes, i definitely think it's more of a problem with the DELL PC than the WinXP software.
    I told them to call dell for support eventhough I repair computers myself, I feel since they have 1 year warrenty let dell fix it.

I thought dell machines were solid. I noticed that they were on top of some editor choice's like zdnets.

As far as the Winxp look, can't you select the option to have it look like classic windows98.

Dell machines are rock solid, Micro$oft products are not.

My Xp is driving me bonkers, crashing randomly, won't let me run £d2001 etc. But I am preservering with it, I also have repaired a corrupt "system" more than once and clean installed a couple of times, but i am determined it won't beat me. All my parts work fine with win2k, so its definately not hardware.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

well that geeky or gay look is one thing, the other thing i don't like is that it waiste waaaaaay more space than Win2k

of all the OS i like WinNT4 it uses the least space, of all windoze OS

after running XP, i don't think they will be happy with W2K. I suggest an upgrade to XP Pro.

I agree that dell machines are pretty rock solid. The fact is, XP simply uses devices differently than any other OS and as a result, components that run on other NT based OS's work fine, but not on XP. Many manufacturers like HP and Compaq won't even support their pc's if you put XP on it. It's not like XP is a bad Operating System, I've found it to be better in many ways, it just isn't fully supported by every hardware vendor.

hummmm

Hummm. WEll i like to put my 2 cents on dis through my experience. I see everyone on this forum have alot of faith in XP cuz they have good experience with all and stuff. Well i find Xp bad at managing memory. I seen in 3 different computer XP slowdown to a crawl even when no program was running. I had reinstall the whole thing to fix it. But anywayz enough with my Xp problems i think wat u should do is take advantage of dells highly praised technical support. I think it's XP andnot Dell's actually machine thats giving u grief. Also u said u know someone else with a dell havin the same problem? Thing is are they runnin XP too? IF they are u can't say its just the machine cuz u havent changed any variables. Both is a Dell Both is runnin XP.

Yes both machines are running WinXP home edition and both machines are dells. We will see how good Dell's tech support is, because I advised both of them to call tech support.

I don't know what they are doing to their computers but the operting system shouldn't be crashing that much escpecally on brand new machines with realitvely clean copies of WinXP. I know that both are not gammers, just using computers for college and web serfing and some MP3 downloading.

virus scanned yet?

call dell

i thinku should call dell tech support and get ur issue resolved
    beleive me they do a good job!
    bye
    with luv,
    vasu

Re: Dell or WinXP???

Originally posted by alguzman
    Hi everyone,

So is WinXP home edition that prone to crash or are the Dell systems bad??
    Neither.

I run XP home on my 8 month old Dell and it has never foze!

Just a reminder... while Dell does make a good product it doesn't mean that they are perfect.. they as well as every other company have defective systems and their support isn't always perfect as they tend to subcontract to various "non-technical" crash course call centres... I know because I worked in one of them years ago for a different account. It's a hit and miss situation and it sounds like you received two pc's with a bad install... or maybe some other hardware issue.. suggest Fdisk format and reinstall... more than likely that's what they will have you do anyway if they don't just have you attempt to use the repair again. They almost always do before they will attempt to replace hardware unless you go in guns loaded etc...

good luck
    William

Banned
    i had a system error with winxp too. WHen booting up it said some file is currupt OR some hardware is malfunctioning and it doesnt want to boot to prevent damage!
    Bullsh**
    i tried repairing but didnt work cause of above problems.
    did fresh install!
    i didnt have problems with winxp ever since, been running it for 9 months now and i LOVE it.
    as for the gay fisher price look.... i dont know what ur talking about

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...608#post688608

PS: just cool you cant have the same attachment twice in forum! checks file size
    Last edited by germanjulian; 08-09-2002 at 04:44 AM.