Thread: Connection status window

Connection status window

Running windows XP Pro.

My modem is a creative PCI with V.92.

After disconnecting, the connection status window takes a loooooong time to close out. Seems like 30 seconds.
    Ive been told its my modem communicating with windows and taking too long to close out. Something about DTR? I was also told that you can enter some registry number and a time in seconds to decrease this time out.

Well, I got the registry number from the manual and typed = 5. For 5 seconds in the Extra Initialization commands in Modem properties>advanced. It does nothing for me.
    I contacted creative and they have not helped.

Anyone know anything about this problem and what can be done?

This is my first post here at sysopt so sorry for the newbie question.

Have you tried right-clicking the connection icon in the Tasktray and selecting disconnect? At least you won't have to look at it.

Welcome to SysOpt, n00b!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Before I went to cable (3 weeks ago) I had a delay with my modems "disconnecting" on my xp machine - looks like you tried an init string to have the modem disconnect more quickly?

Do a google search (Creative won't help) to look for init strings settings - or you say you have the manual, but remember that you may think you've entered the right instructions but they may be incorrect, or may simply be overwritten by the modem's defaults without you realizing it.

You can also look at the modem's log file - search your HDD for a file like "modem.*" - it will show what's happening everytime you dial up, connect, disconnect and hangup.

auto full login/logon

now Im not SURE about XP (Its been a while) but in windows in your control panel/network...

when you check the props of each one in the list ( adapters etc) it automatically does a full driver logon for..windows network??

ANyway.. you can select QUICK logon instead.. and since having the FULL logon DOES make it take longer to CONNECT... maybe it would effect the faster DISconnect time as well?

It wont effect your actual ISP connection at all.
    And it wont hurt to try it. There may be more than one in the list that you have to change.

You can disable the WINS network in all those too. Its an old protocal and I dont know why it still auto- sets- it- up.
    "Germs attack people where they are their weakest, which explains why there are so many head colds." Alfred E. Neuman

Sus~