Thread: Can't figure Mandrake out! Help please!

Can't figure Mandrake out! Help please!

Hey all. I've gotten Madrake 8.2 installed semi-succesfully(CD's 2 and 3 didn't burn properly so I couldn't install a lot of packages) but, I can't find a way to get the system to re-boot so I can get into Windows at will. Well, the reset and power button work, but that's doing things the easy way...hehe Next, I'm using Gnome, but want to change my XFree version (For some reason it's running 3. something or another....). I need to be running XFree 4.0.1(?) or better to get my correct drivers to load for my GeForce 4. And last, but not least, I can't log on as root. I can log in under the user name I created and access things that need root's password, but I can't actually log in as root. It says invalid login/password, login failed or something like that. I'm enjoying having a version of Linux installed finally that actually can use my Cable internet connection. =) It's fantastic and allows me to finally start actually start learning more about Linux. Well, thanks all in advance for the help. Later!

easy way in linux

type in Reboot

to reboot kinda obvious

but then there are prenty of other commands, i'll let you figure those out later.

as for the Xfree drivers, yeah you'll need Xfree servers 4.x for newer cards.

now ifyou can't log in as the Root, ****, you are pretty screwed.

you can always type in superuser, and try to fix it.

but since your install never installed ppproperly

i'll just format and go from sractch again.

Well, I boot directlly into X, so, no command line. When I log out of Gnome, I go directly to the login screen again with no re-boot option. (I remember the reboot command from previously playing with RedHat 6) Mandrake 8.2 does come with XFree 4.?, but I can't figure out how to switch to it. It was offered once..hehehe I think I'll try re-burning the ISO's and re-installing like you suggested. Thanks AllGamer!

If you're using the GDM login manager, click on System, and select Reboot. If its KDM, then its under Menu or something. If for some reason you still can't find a reboot option then hit Ctrl + F2 to get into a console. Login as root and type shutdown -r now.

By default Mandrake should have installed XFree86 4.x unless you told it otherwise.

If you forgot your root password, reboot your system. At the LILO prompt type 'linux -s' or 'linux single'. When the bash prompt appears type 'passwd'. Enter the new password. Type 'exit'. This will reboot the system, and you'll be able to login with your new password.

Does your card even work in Linux, or do you just need the OpenGL drivers? If its just OpenGL, then go to this site and download (right click, select Save Target As...) the nVidia install script. Some users (including myself) have had problems when installing the nVidia drivers themselves in Mandrake 8.2, and this script fixes that problem. As soon as you download it, login as root, do chmod 777 nvidiasetup.pl and then run it by doing ./nvidiasetup.pl. This should correctly install the drivers for you. When they're done installing just restart the X server and login. You should be able to enjoy excellent 3D accellerated graphics.

I hope some of my post helps. Good luck with Linux. Report back if you get any other problems.
    Last edited by Praetorian; 08-08-2002 at 06:34 PM.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.