0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 2014 or later

16 31.37%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: When 3.5" Floppy will be replaced

http://www.japaninc.net/print.php?articleID=653

according to there artical Yoshiro Nakamatsu does.

"He completed the project while at the University of Tokyo's Faculty of Engineering. The result, he says, was a "floppy media and drive" that could be read with magnetic and light sensors and for which he received a Japanese patent in 1952, 20 years before IBM got a US patent for a basic floppy design and 28 years before Sony and Philips Electronics introduced the compact disc in 1980. Big Blue will only say it owns the legal patent to the floppy and that it reached several nonexclusive patent agreements with NakaMats in the late 1970s to avoid conflicts."

Coooooooooool
    thanks for the link
    i lost that info so long ago.

i just love computer history, and this is part of it in the making.

Originally posted by AllGamer
    well if Sony decides to finally one day release the copy patents for the mini-disc that will fit perfectly into that hole
    but why bother
    a Zip drive fits there
    a LS120 fits there
    a bunch of Tape and DAT type also fits there
    Why bother? Well, for one thing mini-CD's are cool, and the rest aren't. I realize there are various possibilities, but that was my point. Which ONE will become the new standard. Most of the other alternatives have had their chance and have never caught on.

Originally posted by deadkenny

Why bother? Well, for one thing mini-CD's are cool, and the rest aren't. I realize there are various possibilities, but that was my point. Which ONE will become the new standard. Most of the other alternatives have had their chance and have never caught on.
    in the case of the sony mini disc, they never bothered to "caught on", they wanted to single handely take on the whole marked

and too bad for them, MP3 came out, and the sony mini disc went sideways kinda belly upping like dying fish in a fish tank

to me the floppy is the best type of boot up that you can ever thing about, not only are they so cheap to replace, about a dollar at a junk store, you get fifty floppies for three bucks, and hey, a mini-cdr can only be written once unless you use a mini cd-rw but on the outcome it's more expensive.

BTW, I have seen a zip drive being stuck into a floppy drive, HAHAHAHAHA

true about the price

and yeah i have also seen that when Zip100 was brand new, and everybody was trying to JAM that darn this swearing and all in college, trying to fit a Zip100 into a floopy drive 3.5 1.44 wayy back then.

LOL that was the funniest shiiiiit ever

Originally posted by gjimene2
    to me the floppy is the best type of boot up that you can ever thing about, not only are they so cheap to replace, about a dollar at a junk store, you get fifty floppies for three bucks, and hey, a mini-cdr can only be written once unless you use a mini cd-rw but on the outcome it's more expensive.

BTW, I have seen a zip drive being stuck into a floppy drive, HAHAHAHAHA
    Yes, but the regular CD are being written to ("burned") so commonly now that I was thinking of the mini-CD starting off as ROM intially, with the CD becoming the writeable medium of choice (i.e. instead of a CD-ROM and 3.5" floppy combo, you would see a CDRW and mini-CD ROM combo - see, the CD becomes the writeable medium 'replacing' the floppy in a sense, and the mini-CD is the ROM medium, playing the role of the CD in pre-burner days). Just all speculation anyways.

Originally posted by AllGamer
    true about the price

and yeah i have also seen that when Zip100 was brand new, and everybody was trying to JAM that darn this swearing and all in college, trying to fit a Zip100 into a floopy drive 3.5 1.44 wayy back then.

LOL that was the funniest shiiiiit ever
    LoL ive seen this, saw some guy shove a floppy into a zip drive and then try to pull up the files.

Originally posted by deadkenny

Yes, but the regular CD are being written to ("burned") so commonly now that I was thinking of the mini-CD starting off as ROM intially, with the CD becoming the writeable medium of choice (i.e. instead of a CD-ROM and 3.5" floppy combo, you would see a CDRW and mini-CD ROM combo - see, the CD becomes the writeable medium 'replacing' the floppy in a sense, and the mini-CD is the ROM medium, playing the role of the CD in pre-burner days). Just all speculation anyways.

Just wondering....

what makes you think that mini-CDs are not writeable?

mini-CDs are writeable even with their mini-CDs walkmans, if you buy the slightly more expensive models, around $500
    most stereo system that has TapeDeck, DVD/CD and mini-CD it's writeable too
    1 mini-CD = 1 CD
    650 meg per mini-CD
    or 74 Min of audio

that's why i originally said it's too bad that stupid Sony doesn't want to release the copy patents and rights so other companies can make them, so we can put it in computers.

all because Sony is part of that music copy right group.

funny thing is that they still invented the mini CD for the purpose of recording your own CDs or stuff to it, which mean they are in Direct violation of those copy protection laws.

LOL

wow the polls almost evenly split between 2005- and 2014+ !

ah.. that doesn't mean anything, only what we think.

at the end it comes down to the manufactures and MOBO makers for the final outcome