0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 2014 or later

16 31.37%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: When 3.5" Floppy will be replaced

Originally posted by mpc2

Do all you floppy jockies think they are going to continue to build PC's the same way forever?
    you can probably say that again.

there hasn't been any change in the last 22 years more or less

so even if that's true i doubt they'll go anywhere anytime soon

Originally posted by ukulele

Actually 5 1/4" diskettes were true floppys. The 3 1/2" diskettes were not. The term floppy was a carry over. There were in fact 8 1/2 " floppys before them. I still have an origional IBM 8 1/2" floppy storage box. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
    yup i know a friend that still has a funtional 8" FDD and spare 8" disk for them
    120k !!! and max was only 300k !!!!
    BYTES!!!!!!
    lol

i begged him to gimme at least one 8" disk for my own collection, he didn't give.

so oh well....

but yeah those are cool, they can't store ****, but they are just cool

Geez, I've only seen the 8 inchers,

I do have a 5 1/4 drive somewhere, it's a 720kb, and it still works and I know where I can get my hands on some 2s2d discs for it too

But I also have a 32mb hard drive too,, still running and a 486 dx4 66 and mobo,, vesa slots too, and a vesa video card, no ram though, but I think I have a case and ps for it,,

Too bad you guys(?) only have a 3.5".
    I have the 5.25" and 8" floppies in my own collection. BTW... even a 3.5" is still a floppy platter, encased in a hard sheath.

i know that.

They tried to pull a similar stund, when they first released CDs at 1x

back then the first CD/ROMs needed what they call the MPC casing for the CD, before you can load the CD.

they didn't have the CD tray or CD slots as we have them today.

so in essence they were doing the same as with the 3.5 FDD, they were putting a CD inside one of those things, just larger, then inserting that BIG FDD CD into the CD drive.

I still have a few of those in use in my 4x NEC mutlispeed portable
    i can even use that as a normal "portable" CD player.

it's portable alrite, and you can chage CD, but the darn thign is sooooo freaking heavy, and it needs AC power.

so if i do carry that out for Jogging, i'll need to tag along an UPS

LOL

nice weight and jog training there.
    Last edited by AllGamer; 08-11-2002 at 02:17 AM.

Wow, then my old Sony Mavica FD71 digital camera will become obsolete.

I guess after over 6000 pics and 4 years it's about time to move up to the Sony Mavica CD400.
    I doubt if my new CD400 will be as reliable as my old floppy drive camera.

Man, I have an old Sony 2x cd drive with the caddie, still works, except I lost the drivers

I used it on my old 286 system, it was so cool then No,, I don't have the 286 any more, it died

i think the USB pen drive can be considered a successor to the fdd...but fdd is gonna go a long way

I think it will go away, but only when we get a cased cd, that is an optical disk that has a sleeve for protection. I'm actually quite surprised that cd's aren't made this way already. At work we use optical drives for our AS/400 system that look like 5 1/4 floppies, only about 1/4 inch thick, and basically it is two cd's in a hard plastic case, each holds about 5.2 gigs. With the technology of dvd's, we could put a dvd in a protective case, and fit up to 9.4 gigs on it. Then the only problem is making it bootable, which is a problem with bios, not anything else. Just have to have standard dvd drivers built into bios.

I voted 2010.
    System Specs:
    256 Mb PC2100
    30 Gig Maxtor
    32Mb Nvidia Tnt2 Agp
    Lots of Blood, Sweat, and Tears...

i think the USB pen drive can be considered a successor to the fdd...but fdd is gonna go a long way
    That may very well be true, but only when they are cheap enough that you can afford to give them away like a floppy or cdr. More often then not that is exactly what I do with both of them. As long as we are still on the subject, I find myself more and more using a Smartmedia card to transfer large files up to 128 mb. They work great for that on any system with USB, and they are way faster then a floppy or cd burner.

Originally posted by mpc2

Do all you floppy jockies think they are going to continue to build PC's the same way forever?
    good point

good point
    Certainly, this is a given, but probably not for many more years to come. Contrary to what a few people seem to think, the FBI will be using them for many more decades to come. You can bet on that. Some will still work 20 years from now. You can bet on that too.

I'm sure much the same was said about 5.25" drives. The 3.5" drives will not be on 'modern' machines in a couple years. The interesting question is "what will go in the 3.5" bays?" In the same way that CD-ROMS went into the 5.25" bays, I predict that some sort of mini CD-ROM will go into the 3.5" bays.

well if Sony decides to finally one day release the copy patents for the mini-disc that will fit perfectly into that hole
    but why bother
    a Zip drive fits there
    a LS120 fits there
    a bunch of Tape and DAT type also fits there

Originally posted by AllGamer
    well if Sony decides to finally one day release the copy patents for the mini-disc that will fit perfectly into that hole
    but why bother
    a Zip drive fits there
    a LS120 fits there
    a bunch of Tape and DAT type also fits there
    Who owns the patent for the 3.5" floppy ne ways?? He must have made a fortune by now. Either that or hes passed away with old age.