0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 2014 or later

16 31.37%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: When 3.5" Floppy will be replaced

Ultimate Member
    Floppies seem to have a terrible habit of getting corrupted or files not working offa them, especially in dos and especially when theyre boot disks in my experience. They seem to very fragile on the PC, not like when using the same disk on the Amiga, that truly was tough as nails, you could jump up and down in a floppy and it would probably still work in Amiga DOS / Workbench

--Jakk

well you can thanks Microshaft for that shiiiity file system, that has been a torment for everybody from DOS 1.0 beta to WinME, and even now in WinXP

Maybe with the FD32MB system, floppys won't die instead the current floppy drives will. But if they make a floppy that holds than much data they will probably reconstruct the floppy's shell to make it more durable and then it wouldn't be a floppy... or would it....

huh , you lost me there dude...

FD32MB system:
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,40501,00.asp

It's not popular yet but prices will drop when competition rolls around.

if that's the reason

I rather have them Push more the 120meg FDD. that 1 has much more space, and it's still 1.44 compatible
    and it also has boot support like the 1.44

but of course its on IDE.

so which mean, if you are trying to figure out an IDE problem during boot time

you are still SCREWED!!

FDD is still best.

Originally posted by Bizkitkid2001
    I voted for more than 2014 or later because I think they will never go away
    Originally posted by AllGamer
    Yeah i believe they'll not go away for a long long while

Probably until we get Cerebrum cybernetic inplants.
    What about DNA Computers? With the current rate of genetic research those shouldn't take too long.

I think I should have made the poll longer, should have gone by +2 years and +5 years.

we are jumping subjects already, but i like the new theme

Well, i can see we'll have Quantum Computers before we come close with the DNA computers.

DNA computers research is still in its baby cratter.

meanwhile the Quantum (ATOMs) computers are already in "production" and working on major selected universities around the world.

in google do a search for Quantum Computing.

so far the 2 most effective ones are the Helium and H2O version of it.

I feel the 1.44 is here for a long time. What other device is as inexpensive, portable, universally available and will be found when booting in an emergency situation Not all machines have a cd drive, some won't boot from it, and it's not as easy to carry around.

Zip is as portable as the old floppy, but not all machines have one, most won't boot to it and it's expensive.

USB for boot device, hardly, no drivers available to recognize USB, it sucks any how

Floppys are cheap and everyone has one, except for a few early Imacs But even Apple conceded to demand and made them available.

I vote for the good old cheap floppy drive

Also, on the network boot, how?? if the machine doesn't have some network recognition built into the bios it sure won't boot to a network drive
    Last edited by leprechaun_40; 08-08-2002 at 04:18 PM.

wouldnt want to get along with out the 3 1/2 floppy, sure beats the old 5 1/4 with 360K floppies, but say you find a couple files or some thing you just want to save to think about, dont want to permenently HD, it, you sure arnt going to burn a CD, what is more handy than thal little floppy drive??? I always keep an empty disk in the drive .not quite in. most time just hit ,send to , A

In my opinion the floppy is the most terrible invention in computer history. It is very fragile, expensive and i have had more problems with floppy drives then any other component. Just 2 days ago i lost the metal clip of afloppy in my lapptop and had to call compaq on how to get the stupid thing out ened up spending $50 on getting the floppy replaced. It is very exensive considering a 40x cdburner can be had for $40 and cdrs are $.20
    a piece and hold more than 400 times the data and are bootable. A floppy disk holds 1.44 megs and cost around $.40 a piece. Also as hard disks get larger and computers more complicated we will need more effiecient utilities to fix our computer problems that just dont fit on stupid little floppies. When widows xp came out the floppy disk should have been declared dead i bet whithin the next few years less than 1% of computers will run windows 98 and older. To give an example of what i mean by more efficient utilities take a look at formatt time from a 98 boot disk to the xp cdrom. As far as a viable replacement for the floppy the mini dvd is portable durable and in most cases boot able and can hold 1000 times more than a floppy. DEATH TO THE FLOPPY!!!!!

Originally posted by alondra
    wouldnt want to get along with out the 3 1/2 floppy, sure beats the old 5 1/4 with 360K floppies, but say you find a couple files or some thing you just want to save to think about, dont want to permenently HD, it, you sure arnt going to burn a CD, what is more handy than thal little floppy drive??? I always keep an empty disk in the drive .not quite in. most time just hit ,send to , A
    I'd just copy it to a cd-rw, plenty of those and faster copying than the floppy

Originally posted by AllGamer
    we are jumping subjects already, but i like the new theme

Well, i can see we'll have Quantum Computers before we come close with the DNA computers.

DNA computers research is still in its baby cratter.

meanwhile the Quantum (ATOMs) computers are already in "production" and working on major selected universities around the world.

in google do a search for Quantum Computing.

so far the 2 most effective ones are the Helium and H2O version of it.
    even with these in production you still believe that floppy won't be replaced soon?

I can ftp stuff it to my university email acount faster than I can to a floppy. Plus I wont loose the thing. Unless of course the server dies.

I like the USB keychain Idea as replacement for the floppy. But advanced technology does not allways replace old technology. I mean look at Zip, Bernuli, LS-120, Mini Disk just to name a few.

It all comes down to the lowest common denominator, and the floppy is that. We all agree that it is inadequate when it comes to data transfer, but it's still around and is still useful.