0 0%

0 0%
  • 2014 or later

16 31.37%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: When 3.5" Floppy will be replaced

Check this link out
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/newreply...hreadid=113575

This is yet another proof why FDD is more important.

That thread means nothing. The topic of this thread deals with the future and Windows 98 is the past.

The floppy is already on its way out and will be history in just a few years, along with the PCI bus, SDRAM, etc.

There is nothing you can do with a floppy that can't be accomlished with a CD...

Does that mean some people still wont use them? No. Some people still drive cars made in the 1940's too.

The floppy is computings past.........get over it........let it die.

personaly I miss the 5 1/4 floppy. NOT!

I had been told that next year Intel will start introducing mother boards with out floppy drive conections . Rather, they will introduce serial IDE. I understand that these new motherboards will have two IDE's and two serial IDE's. It smells like the begining of the end for the floppy. We will all have to install super floppy's on the primary IDE to make it bootable.

Imac's didn't have one and they were about as popular as Eskimo Pies in Nome, Alaska.

Originally posted by mpc2

There is nothing you can do with a floppy that can't be accomlished with a CD...
    Boot when you have IDE problems?

And again, CDs are cumbersome, they don't fit in your pocket.

MAC tried aboloshing the floppy and it didn't work, you need the FDD because it's so much lower level than other drives it's useful in emergencies, USB is useless in soem situations.

Sure, people would like you to never need to format their brand PC, but when you built your own the first thing you do is see if it works with just mobo, ram, proc and fdd, whenever someone comes on sysopt and says "help, new built PC doesn't boot at all", first thing you say is to reseat the vid card, then you say take it down to just bare components, and one of those is the FDD.

FDDs have much lower failure rate (and cost about £5) than otehr drives.

The lowly floppy has saved my **** many times I've used it as a boot device and for moving files. Do you want to use an entire CD just to move 3 files that will fit on a floppy? Kinda senseless, expensive and wasteful. I needed VBRUN 100, 200, and 300 to run some programs and they weren't on my system, I used a Floppy to move them from a friends system, not a CD or zip.

Boot your system and format from a cd, can you? Not always, some bios don't allow for cd to be bootable.

IDE problems? Zip and CD are now useless

Also, as has been said earlier, Apple tried to do away with it, and had to go back and put em in

I've also use floppys to move small single files and then reused the disc later, do that with yer cd and it gets expensive.

Ultimate Member
    Sorry -- but floppy WILL DIE -- just depends when - i have NO use for floppies anymore, now all of my PC's are networked together for interconnectivity, i have high speed (if you can call it that) internet for external transportation of files, and thanks to the advent of bootable CD's, i no longer NEED use floppys for emergency repair procedures etc... its all a matter of time until they go the way of the dodo, however theyre dirt cheap - so im not complaining about em

--Jakk

I never use them because there is always something wrong w them. If I can't ftp it I either write to a normal cd (which you can of course use many many times until it's full) or I use a rewritable CD. The cost is very low - 1 $ for a CD or 5 if it's a rewritable. The expense was the cd-writer - but now I've got that....

Ok, everybody just talkes about transfer and size and stuff.

HAVE ANYONE BOTHER TO THINK WHAT YOU CAN DO TO BOOT UP YOUR COMPUTER, IF YOUR

IDE and SCSI and Parallel Port is dead?

then FDD is your only hope.

i was just helping a guy on another chat, where he didn't have a CD ROM and he needed to boot to be able to format his HDD because is HDD is fried!!!

so No CD to boot, HDD is dead

No SCSI, how are you going to start the computer if you did not have a FDD ?

uh, uh ?

tell me...

Ok, everybody just talkes about transfer and size and stuff.

HAVE ANYONE BOTHER TO THINK WHAT YOU CAN DO TO BOOT UP YOUR COMPUTER, IF YOUR

IDE and SCSI is dead?

then FDD is your only hope.

i was just helping a guy on another chat, where he didn't have a CD ROM and he needed to boot to be able to format his HDD because is HDD is fried!!!

so No CD to boot, HDD is dead

No SCSI, how are you going to start the computer if you did not have a FDD ?

uh, uh ?

tell me...

Ultimate Member
    If the IDE / SCSI was knackered there would be NO POINT IN BOOTING as you wouldnt be able to access any of your data, youd just be stuck at dos A:\ prompt. If that happened youd be off for a new mobo or HDD controller card. And as in said case if your HDD was fried you would still be able to use the bootable CDROM to get in...

--Jakk

If the IDE / SCSI was knackered there would be NO POINT IN BOOTING as you wouldnt be able to access any of your data, youd just be stuck at dos A:\ prompt. If that happened youd be off for a new mobo or HDD controller card. And as in said case if your HDD was fried you would still be able to use the bootable CDROM to get in...

This is assuming you have a bootable cdrom or access to a computer with with a cdrw. Any computer with a floppy drive and windows can make a startup disk. I have quite a few other programs that boot from a floppy to work also, including hd utilities, memory checkers, secret file cleaners, zip utilities, dos cdrom drivers and backup restore utilities, just to name a few. Of course there is work arounds with a cd, but floppies make it easy. If you know DOS there is a whole lot of things you can do from an a: prompt.

This is assuming you have a bootable cdrom or access to a computer with with a cdrw. Any computer with a floppy drive and windows can make a startup disk. I have quite a few other programs that boot from a floppy to work also, including hd utilities, memory checkers, secret file cleaners, zip utilities, dos cdrom drivers and backup restore utilities, just to name a few. Of course there is work arounds with a cd, but floppies make it easy. If you know DOS there is a whole lot of things you can do from an a: prompt. A start up disk on a floppy has saved my buns more times then I can count.

Sorry for the double post. Blame it on a slow connection today.
    Last edited by ukulele; 08-09-2002 at 02:46 PM.

Originally posted by ukulele
    If you know DOS there is a whole lot of things you can do from an a: prompt. A start up disk on a floppy has saved my buns more times then I can count.
    Correct!!, you'll be amazed at all the things you can do in DOS, it's simply countless even if it's only from one 1.44 FDD disk

Bigjakkstaffa, re: in the said case

well it might has never happend to you, but not all the time when the IDE or/and SCSI doesn't work, does not mean the Mobo is dead.

Can just be a HDD, with a corrupt partition, as it happend to that guy.

or sometimes the IDE or SCSI board BIOS might have just went kapush, and with a BIOS refresh .... guess from where?? ... ohh a FLOPPY disk... you can reset the BIOS or load a new one, and everything is back to normal

i had to do it once for a RAID controller of mine, and a SCSI update, on a bad SCSI board.

so guess what saved the day again??

oohhh a Floppy disk....

in such other example with the IDE RAID when that don't work you can't boot from the CD ROM, so where are you gonna boot from??

ooohhh aaa floopy disk ....

One really good use for floppys, Microscope and Drive Pro come on floppy, why? cuz, it can boot the system, that's why Sometimes you need to boot them with the special OS that comes with these, so you can diagnose and fix that dead machine, and what are you going to boot from? The floppy of course