Thread: can't delete a file

can't delete a file

i have a .tmp file that i can't delete. i tried to rename it, change to read only, and it says it can't be deleted because it might be corrupted or damage..

so what do i do?
    Dar

try restarting and trying again.

If this fails and you can move the file you could move it to c:\recycled

cannot be moved
    Dar

Can you delete it through DOS?

Have you tried precision guided munitions. or even a low yield thermonuclear device?

Seriously, this file is probably required by a running process. What's the name of this .tmp file, and where is it on your system? You should usually expect to see a couple of these files in the "temp" (or whatever it's called) directory; Windows will create temp files in there during a normal session.

If you'd really, really (!) like to delete the file, then you could try starting Windows in Safe Mode. Then Ctrl+Alt+Del and shutdown all processes not essential to system operation, if any are running that is!

A .tmp file that is in use after a reboot sometimes indicates a virus. I wish I could remember which one but I remember having this problem on one of the machines I maintain.

try Deltree <filenam>.tmp

if that wont work
    boot into safe mode and try again

if yet that doesn't work
    boot to DOS

and do it from there
    if you are in NTFS

you can still boot to DOS, using the CD
    or an NTFS bootable disk

and then still do the same deltree that file.

IF THAT YET STILL DOES NOT WORK, wow man, you better FDISK, and Format, then reinstall.

Oh, geez, a .tmp you can't delete after a reboot is indictive of a virus??? If I only I had known these things so long ago...

If it's not a virus, I've had problems once in awhile with a directory or file not being found when I want to delete it - you could try to reboot, then run scandisk (w or w/o safe mode) to see if you have errors with files, directories and other errors? That usually has done the trick for me.

Hello
    A computer I was working on for my mother had a program called TRICKLER that stored files in the temp directory and it couldn't be deleted or moved because it was loaded at startup and ran in the background (it didn't even show up with ctrl.alt .del.) we disabled it in the sysinfo/start up table then finally deleted it.

be well
    chip55
    I'm out of my mind..be back in 5 minutes! If I return before I get back, tell me to wait until I get there!