Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Parents against gaming. your thoughts?

Tell your mom that games are an outlet for all the stress caused by school and wihtout them you will become very tense and probably won't do as well in school. That should help some.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

example all A's in classes except Art, You GPA is a 3.89
    Just curious, how did art classes affect the GPA. The school I went to was a college prep school and didn't even teach a course in art. This school was run by Franciscan Monks who must have thought art was a foolish endevour or lead to perversion of the morals or something. I've been a successful artist most of my life and am sure I could have done even better if these boneheads would have recognized my talent when they had an opportunity to teach me something. They did give me a good foundation in math, science and literary skills, but art should be even more important as it is the culmination of all these studies and one of the most valuable assets you can have for industry.

Ultimate Member
    No, when "people" refers to Social life, they refer to 1 nite stands, Dance Club, Beer, have a good time, sex, etc.
    ...all of which are the reasons i wish i had one

--Jakk

My dad

My dad says that games are made in the Devil's workshop and that they make people live in a fantasy and sometimes they show a boob or say some words that God don't like. I told him he was an a-hole and he chased me all the way down the street in his bare feet and cracked me in the back with a tomato stick. He made me pray right out in the middle of the street in front of my frens house. Then he poured all my pogs out in the yard and shredded them up with the lawnmower. I can't have no games that don't have the word "Bible" or "Pontoon" in it.

well, nothing like that every happened to me in the days of wolfenstein original, but i'd say some parents just are to 'old' to understand games. i dont know the real answer, cause im not a parent, but as to beating your child with a tomato stick and destroying his personal game artifacts, its ridiculous. i get really mad when i see japanese animation/pokemon cards, so as to the point were i want to burn every one of them and kill the person who drained his whole piggy banck on some anime garbage. maybe theres some correlation?

ps. thanks for the sympathy with the parents. i appreciate it, i dont really like to talk about them, but my dad passed away first in the early 90's, and my mom recently. i cant bear saying anymore than that; excuse me though its kind of hard to express emotions of the forums,

ukulele- It is really stupid how they do this, but Art, music, and gym are actualyl considered clases that affect the GPA. I remember many people not getting a 4.0 because they got a B in art. What a crock that is.

Also if you fail even one year of gym( by no dressing, kinda hard to fail all year but it has happened) you wouldl not graduate High school. Even if you had A+ in every other class as you need 4 years of gym for some odd reason.

Bah, New York state education what the hell is wrong with them?
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

My dad says that games are made in the Devil's workshop and that they make people live in a fantasy and sometimes they show a boob or say some words that God don't like. I told him he was an a-hole and he chased me all the way down the street in his bare feet and cracked me in the back with a tomato stick. He made me pray right out in the middle of the street in front of my frens house. Then he poured all my pogs out in the yard and shredded them up with the lawnmower. I can't have no games that don't have the word "Bible" or "Pontoon" in it.
    Bide your time. When you are 18 you can legally leave home and make you own decisions about what is right and wrong. For now you are best off to just go with the flow. Your dad is wrong to do what he did but he has his own convictions and you are stuck with it for the time being. Some parents are looking after their own interests more then their children's. He has peer pressure too. He also has lessons in life to learn. Don't hate him for this. Just do your thing and do the best you can and hope understands this one day. My dad is still trying to understand me and I am almost 49 and no failure like he thought I would be.

Re: My dad

Originally posted by rrugg
    I AM NOT SUPRISED

this was taken from his personal wesite:

SuP bAnGeRs N bIzNiTcHeS. yO i'M jAcE (aKa JaSoN) aNd DiS iS mAh PaGe. Yo HeRe Go ThE 411 oN mE.

I'm 18 years old.
    My AIM is RodRugg so ya'll can be all chattin' wit me.
    I be representin Reno in full effect. The biggest little city in the world. Sup.
    I work up in a pool hall. Whass up!!
    I got my own crib this summer (Whass up!) and that's tight.
    When I'm not working, I spend my time pumpin out rhymes, listening to cool music, mackin' wit muh Gs and battling this god **** asthma.
    I love the ladies and the ladies love me.
    I just graduated from high school and I'm glad to be up outta dat wack *** place. School sucks and learning stuff is a waste of time.
    When I was 16, I got addicted to cough syrup real bad, but that's all over with.
    I like to collect hunting knives and old coke bottles and write lyrics.
    One time I punched my shop teacher in the face and broke his jaw.
    I like to play Quake3 when I'm dustin'. Sometimes I play for 10 hours str8.
    My favorite foods are hamburgers and tater tots. I eat it for lunch every day. Whass up!
    One time I ran over this kid with a lawnmower and got the bum rap. I had to go to juvenile even tho it wasn't my fault.
    Me and my friend A-Dawg got kicked out of the San Francisco Zoo for life for thowin dirt at some animal.
    My old man's been in jail since I was 5 because he freaked out and buried my mom in the backyard up to her neck and left her there. I know it sounds trippin but she's still pretty f*@#ed up about it.

My Favorite Sayings: "Yo dude, come check this out before I flush it." - A-Dawg

it woul seem nominal judging all the stuff you've been through

What the hell is wrong with him, look at some of his pictures( that he edited himself into) Or thats what it looks like.

'shutter'

weird.

an example
    http://www.angelfire.com/apes/uck/photos/pic17.html

( why is it with his website I am under the impression his 'posts' may be a bit far off?)
    Last edited by gibsinep; 08-05-2002 at 05:04 PM.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

VERY scarry.

Ultimate Member
    Id say that the boy has issues...

(should i be saying boy -- he is older than me afterall )

--Jakk

your about 10x more mature than him though

I remember many people not getting a 4.0 because they got a B in art. What a crock that is.
    I really can't agree with you there. The GPA is an overall assessment of what you learned (unless you are a cheater). Unfortunately we all have a certain weakness in some subjects. Some people just can't draw a straight line, some can't count past their fingers and toes and some can't spel "spel". Trying to maintain a 4.0 in subjects you don't excell in could slow you down in the subjects that you do well in. I wouldn't worry so much about maintaining a perfect GPA. Concentrate on learning what you are best at and get the core requirements behind you, but most important, study what you enjoy the most. If you enjoy gaming, figure out a way to make a living at it. There is plenty of room for creative people in this field too. This is where discipline is a necessity. Find time for both play and work on your computer. Moderation is the key.

ukulele- on the subject of getting B in art that could ruin a perfect GPA, this is somthing, I am sorry, that ALL artist dont get. Some people can draw, and unlike counting and spelling it can not be taught to a good job. Sure you can improve but some will never improve to an A ability in ART. It is like running, if you are born slow, sure you can improve and get faster however you will never be fast.

Spelling can be taught and so can counting if it is studied hard enough anyone should be able to get it. ( unless it is from mental problems which is ok)

I always was bad in Art, but managed to get A's in it. I really cant figure it out myslef but I am not going to try.

Art,gym, and music should not be included in an over all GPA.

IMO.

What really sucks in ART, is that no matter how good you are at painting, drawing, sculping, etc.

If you don't scores on those stupid ART history test, and those darn literatures, those ******* teachers will screw you over.

i always had perfect scores for all the manual stuff, but when it came to those **** boring artistic history, it just made me sleep.

ART is suppose to be self expression, and relaxed, forcing you to study history, is pointless, unless you are into that arcane stuff, into those arches, or into those piccasso abstracted objectivity view of the world.

and well... you get my point.

ART has to be free to be good, it has to be in your brood, it has to be in your spirit, it comes freely, it selfs guides itself, its not objective, it's creative, it's limited only by your imagination.