Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Best PIII out there

The Best PIII out there

I've got a contender:

A PIII-1000Mhz processor o/c'd to 1.1 Ghz.

It's stuffed in a Compaq Deskpro Micro-atx case if you can believe it.

Sandra 2001 CPU benchmark scores:

ALU - 2941
    FPU - 1464

I thought this looked pretty good compared to the (lower) P4 1.5 scores in the benchmark comparison.

Has anyone else bumped up a P3 to P4 killing levels?

T

Yup a PIII 1.26@1.4 and get ~8700 on 3dmark2001se with Geforce4ti4200 128mb. He could get more performance easy.

Dual P3 1000 @ 1000MHz
    Abit VP6
    1GB PC133
    1 18g Seagate Cheetah 10,000rpm SCSI
    3 36g Seagate Cheetah 10,000rpm SCSI
    Plextor 24x10x40 CDRW
    Lite-On LTD 163 DVD
    Adaptec 19160 SCSI Controller
    Elsa 64mb Gforce2mx 400
    Soundblaster Live
    3Com 990-TX-97 10/100 Nic
    Enermax 550w PSU

Celeron 1.3GHz @ 1.3GHz
    256mb Kingston PC 133
    Abit ST-6 Motherboard
    Pny 64mb Gforce 2 TI
    Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
    Linksys 10/100 Nic
    40X CDROM
    250w PSU
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Originally posted by Ankerson
    Dual P3 1000 @ 1000MHz
    Abit VP6
    1GB PC133
    1 18g Seagate Cheetah 10,000rpm SCSI
    3 36g Seagate Cheetah 10,000rpm SCSI
    Plextor 24x10x40 CDRW
    Lite-On LTD 163 DVD
    Adaptec 19160 SCSI Controller
    Elsa 64mb Gforce2mx 400
    Soundblaster Live
    3Com 990-TX-97 10/100 Nic
    Enermax 550w PSU
    Have you run Sandra on that? I'd love to know what it scores. Diddo for Bensaxx's P3 - the 3dmark score is mostly video card (and yours is very nice), but I'm curious what the P3 can do.

T

Sandra 2002 Pro

Dual P3 CPU
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intel I5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz, 4gb GSkill DDR3 1600, GB P55M-UD2, XFX Radeon 5850. , Seagate Constellation ES 1 TB, Seasonic Gold 620w, Win Vista Ultimate, Toshiba 32" HDTV

Sandra 2002 Pro

Multimedia

Sandra 2002 Pro

Hard drive

WORST P3

I think i have the worst P3 out there. I use PC mark 2002 and my scores where 2074 CPU / 1250 Memory / 379 HDD

http://service.madonion.com/compare?pcm=528920

It tells me 0mhz FSB , whats up with that ???

I need to know why this 800mhz P3 runs worse then my buddies 400mhz Celeron .

Im running 3DMark on it now, I think its going to die . lol

w00t ! It finished without Dieing . 3DMark Score is 401.. That has to be the lowest ever. 486dx PCs probably out perform me.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TO GET THIS THING RUNNING LIKE A NICE p3 800. The last link is a picture , its an odd machine so it limits my options to make it faster

Http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4071040

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/images/...on26693_lg.gif
    Last edited by Tditty; 07-29-2002 at 12:02 PM.

Re: WORST P3

Originally posted by Tditty
    CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TO GET THIS THING RUNNING LIKE A NICE p3 800.
    Have you gone through the BIOS? If it's at all flexible it'll let you adjust the FSB. Try setting it manually to 103mhz and see if everything goes then. My guess would be overly conservative (or just plain wrong) bios default settings.

BTW, don't feel bad, the P3-500 Compaq doorstops at work wouldn't run 3dmark and got a whopping 1100/800/250 on pcmark.

T

Gone

Re: The Best PIII out there

Originally posted by tking
    I've got a contender:

A PIII-1000Mhz processor o/c'd to 1.1 Ghz.

It's stuffed in a Compaq Deskpro Micro-atx case if you can believe it.

Sandra 2001 CPU benchmark scores:

ALU - 2941
    FPU - 1464

I thought this looked pretty good compared to the (lower) P4 1.5 scores in the benchmark comparison.

Has anyone else bumped up a P3 to P4 killing levels?

T
    Uhmmm-----------=== Hehe
    P4 1.5gig@1.8 (1.8 fab)
    120fsb
    256mb rdram Underclocked to 720mhz Need better ram it dont like 960mhz in the summer getting pc1066 next

ALU- 3369
    FPU- 928/2201

Can get 133fsb easy by what temps and stability shows (idle temp. the same as stock and full load 7F hotter-ohh) though I need to do the wire trick on it since my mobo reverts to Northwood vcore at 133fsb jumper mode.... was told no wire trick for Williamettes but yet I found one.
    P4's aint so bad-

P.S. all my games are sse and sse2 what about yours? Even Giants/ Jedi Knight II which this plays like its nothing. Same with my compiling stuff like Tmpeg inc. and etc. It flys! So my P4's 2201 is more usefull to me than your 1464 thats a dif of 737 points and not counting the built in video card optimisations in openGL and look at the ALU difference there!!! Lets not even get into multimedia, P4's way more powerfull there-play dvd's its got the stuff and then way more. Some people need to rethink about what fpu is- who cares about seti and other antiquated unoptimised outdated poorly coded **** in raw mode, my stuff is sse and so is most everything newer so who cares. Not flaiming you but still cant see where this is suposed to matter?

Re: Re: The Best PIII out there

Originally posted by $1500-P4 gamer
    ALU- 3369
    FPU- 928/2201
    P4's way more powerfull there-play dvd's its got the stuff and then way more.
    Not flaiming you but still cant see where this is suposed to matter?
    Dude! Why would I think you're flaming me, we're usually on the rational side of the fence when it comes to dealing with AMD religious fervor

I think i've gotten more out of your emails about processor differences than I have out of the last four magazines I've read.

Now that I've got you all buffed up , I'm dying to take a run at your P4! The compaqs at work don't OC really well (only with Podien software), but the wife's P3 at home is a nasty little Abit based system that loves to o/c. I'll run some benchmarks on it and see how your P4 compares.

... speaking of P4s doing multimedia better, my loved one complains that even her super p3 doesn't play movies the way she'd like. A P4 is optimized to do this much better?

On another tangent, would it be way out to say that the P3 and the Athlon are much more similiar than the P4 and the P3 (or the P4 and the Athlon)? I'm thinking that based on what you're saying about P4 optimization vs. raw processing power (which seems to be an AMD trait).

Last question (promise), is the PCmark bench a better tool for seeing real world performance of a processor?

T

Gone
    Sorry about the flame part, just covering all the bases. Some people get very offended, didnt mean to imply you were one of them.

"I think i've gotten more out of your emails about processor differences than I have out of the last four magazines I've read."

Why thank you-hey my hat still fits!!!

In the respect of dvd playback-divx and etc. yes the P4 is a beast in this area just remember to match it with the right vid card that will take advantage of it. Look at the sse2 fpu! As I said alot is sse and sse2 especially multi-media stuff and encoders. I cut my divx encoding time in half compared to my old P3 sys. My dvd's play without a flaw or a dropped frame ever. But only go with rdram if your looking at a P4 its very mem bandwidth hungry. In gaming there about the same unless your talking a 2gig P4 or higher then theres a dif. But again your only gonna gain so much through the proc after a certain point in that area the rest is the vid card.

"On another tangent, would it be way out to say that the P3 and the Athlon are much more similiar than the P4 and the P3 (or the P4 and the Athlon)? I'm thinking that based on what you're saying about P4 optimization vs. raw processing power (which seems to be an AMD trait)."

Thats exactly right. The P4 is a whole new breed geared for pure mhz. You give a little to get alittle like the 20stage pipeline-that equates to a high mhz. It all evens out in the end. This is also why its the O'clocking giant it is. The longer pipeline makes for less heat in certain parts of the chip that cannot be cooled through a better HSF (down to deep and too hot). The P3 and XP are of basically the same tech. P4 is a whole dif. ball game. The P4 is highly optimised on the bet that sse2 would take of and it did. As did sse on the P3. The Northwoods of today (512k l2) make my P4 (256 l2) look like a wimp-so consider that aswell, seeing how anything you get today will be a Northy and faster mhz aswell. People slam "optimisation" like its cheating. To me its what ever gets the job done faster. If you can make a chip faster through simple software optimisation your a fool not to- now amd is paying royalties once again for sse2 on the hammer. Hmmm me thinks they think the same! Raw is on the way out- again look at the trend. Intel gambled on sse with the P3. It took off-XP followed the lead (as always ). The P4 has sse/sse2 it was a gamble that once again paid off -mean while they got the bad rep. Now Hammer is to have it- hmmm see a pattern? Intel is certainly the risk takers in this market straying from the "its gotta be this way" to the "shouldnt it be this way." I mean if some coding can make you pc twice as fast litterally-wouldnt you want it!

"Last question (promise), is the PCmark bench a better tool for seeing real world performance of a processor?"

Two of the same breed "yes". But cross platform "no". If your comparing a p3 to a p3 its a good way to tell or a XP to a Xp or P3. But the P4 is a dif. cpu architecture all together. Your real world performance will be alot dif. then what the bench will reveal. Like when I loose to a tbird 1.4gig in raw fpu (not sse2-NOOO there its stomps em) I still have a higher PR rating-its a 2gig rating vs.1890 or somthing. It doesnt add up.
    So far there is really no one single bench that sums it all up. The P4's king in one area whilst the P3 and xp king of another. Depends on your needs. But both game extreemly well and no dif. will be seen. If ya like to o'clock the p4 is champ in that area aswell. In mutli media needs though I would go with the P4 every time. Sounds like exactly what your other half needs. Get her a nice 2gig on a asus pc1066(lots o o'clocking room there) rddram mobo for christmas-its a gift that will keep on giving if ya know what I mean.

WoW- thats a long post.

What did the guy use for cooling to get 17230 score in 3DMARK?
    There can be only one.®©

he used Liquid Nitrogen.... and lotsa Vmodding

Re: Re: The Best PIII out there

Originally posted by $1500-P4 gamer
    [B]
    Uhmmm-----------=== Hehe
    P4 1.5gig@1.8 (1.8 fab)
    120fsb
    256mb rdram Underclocked to 720mhz Need better ram it dont like 960mhz in the summer getting pc1066 next

ALU- 3369
    FPU- 928/2201

heheh... AMD Duron 1.3 256 ddr

alu 3697
    fpu 1769

no o/c.. no tweaks

hehe bout half the cost too. mmm and sse as well