Ok guys here goes:

The way I set up my computer when I installed DSL for some reason windows always prompted me for a logon at startup. I assumed that I had the network connection incorrectly set up so I goes into network connexion and I remove Windows Primary logon. Well I get a message, "you windows network is imcomplete continue?" so I click yes. Well whatever I did got rid of the logon screen but now windows seems to be taking a LONG time to load. Like 1:33 where it used to be less (or so it seems). Anyways, i noticed that when the windows (98) splash screen comes up after a few secs the C: drive lite goes out. Then it kinda sits there for like 15 secs then the C: drive fires back up and away we go.

This reminds me of what used to happen on my lan when I didn't have the cable plugged in. Windows (apparently) appears to be looking for a newtork or something that isn't there and must be timing out or something. Any ideas? Maybe my DSL is configured wrong or something.

Well I go back o network to try and reinstall Windows Primary logon and for somereason it wants a file that appears to not be on the win98se cd. So I figure that I will simply remove the network adapter and reinstall from scratch. Big f'ing mistake. BSOD at boot. Had to roll back the reg now everything seems stable. But back to my question:

1) how do I get rid of that **** "windows logon" that pops up at every startup (i just cancel out of it anyways)

2) why does my computer stall at the windows logon? What the hell is windows looking for? A network? Is it trying to auto find an IP? Most importantly HOW DO I STOP IT (from hanging that is)

3) What should my network setting look like for a run of the mill DSL connection look like?

Thanks for patience reading my long and rambling post. Please help if possible.

El_Brio