Thread: Slow boot-up , network connection problem? (advanced help needed)

Slow boot-up , network connection problem? (advanced help needed)

Ok guys here goes:

The way I set up my computer when I installed DSL for some reason windows always prompted me for a logon at startup. I assumed that I had the network connection incorrectly set up so I goes into network connexion and I remove Windows Primary logon. Well I get a message, "you windows network is imcomplete continue?" so I click yes. Well whatever I did got rid of the logon screen but now windows seems to be taking a LONG time to load. Like 1:33 where it used to be less (or so it seems). Anyways, i noticed that when the windows (98) splash screen comes up after a few secs the C: drive lite goes out. Then it kinda sits there for like 15 secs then the C: drive fires back up and away we go.

This reminds me of what used to happen on my lan when I didn't have the cable plugged in. Windows (apparently) appears to be looking for a newtork or something that isn't there and must be timing out or something. Any ideas? Maybe my DSL is configured wrong or something.

Well I go back o network to try and reinstall Windows Primary logon and for somereason it wants a file that appears to not be on the win98se cd. So I figure that I will simply remove the network adapter and reinstall from scratch. Big f'ing mistake. BSOD at boot. Had to roll back the reg now everything seems stable. But back to my question:

1) how do I get rid of that **** "windows logon" that pops up at every startup (i just cancel out of it anyways)

2) why does my computer stall at the windows logon? What the hell is windows looking for? A network? Is it trying to auto find an IP? Most importantly HOW DO I STOP IT (from hanging that is)

3) What should my network setting look like for a run of the mill DSL connection look like?

Thanks for patience reading my long and rambling post. Please help if possible.

El_Brio

Stop hitting Cancel and Windows will leave you alone. Enter something, you knucklehead!

The NIC is negotiating an IP with your modem/provider. If the delay bothers you, don't turn off the PC.

If you still get a logon request, use Tweak UI to make it automatic:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../NTTweakUI.asp
    MS MCP, MCSE

Re: Slow boot-up , network connection problem? (advanced help needed)

Originally posted by El_Brio

2) why does my computer stall at the windows logon? What the hell is windows looking for? A network? Is it trying to auto find an IP? Most importantly HOW DO I STOP IT (from hanging that is)

El_Brio
    I had the same problem.. i solved mine with the help of some ppl online.

to fix this you might have to..

1. go into your neighborhood properties
    2. select your enternet card properties
    3. go to "IP Adress" tab
    4. then "specify your IP adress" using the following settings..

IP adress: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

im currently using these settings... and they got rid of the pause or "hanging" at windows logon. From what i can remember the enternet card is trying to find a temporary IP before logon into windows. So with these settings it help prevent it looking for the IP and saves time.

Someone correct me if im wrong, it was a long time ago....

oh yeah what about your "Wins Configuration" and "DNS Configuration" under your enternet properties. Mine is disabled but i forgot if you disable these or not. And im not on a network so i guess it doesnt matter for me. But the first method should work for u try it and reboot.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by ChadWiK; 07-23-2002 at 02:49 AM.

Cool beans. Thanks Chadwik. Seems like a familiar solution. If I remember correctly I had to do this before..... (before I tried XP and hated it that is). My boot time decreased to 1:01 from 1:33. Not too shabby. Still get that annoying windows logon though.

Any way to get rid of this?

Thanks guys.

BTW BiPolar Putting something in the logon doesn't seem to do anything.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Check network properties for "client for MS network" if its not there add it back in then you will get control of logging and try family logon.

So family logging will not prompt me for a password? When I tried to add windows client it prompted me for a file that apparently wasn't on the win 98 se cd. So I canceled out of the setup but the windows primary network or whatever the hell it is is now there. I believe there is a checkbox for family logon. What is the difference?

Close only works in hand grenades and horseshoes. Open Network Properties and see what your Primary Logon is. It should be Windows Logon. Once set, Windows Logon won't bother you. Client for Microsoft Networks is a nag and will never leave you alone unless you use Tweak UI.

When adding components, the drivers are in the Win98(9x) folder on the Windows CD (you haven't mentioned your Windows version yet). Alternately, you could browse to C:\Windows\System or System32.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 07-23-2002 at 09:42 PM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

np glad to help.

for me im using windows logon on my one and only computer i dont get that message.

ummm, another thing for me to speed up my bootup process is disabling some of the programs loading at startup. What i mean is when you hit ctrl-alt-del you can see all the programs that are currently running. Just make sure you dont hit it 2 times to cause it to reboot, yes sometimes it does happen...

When my slow comp bootup i only have 4 programs running behind windows and only 1 icon in system tray. I think my bootup is around 30-40 sec with this slow comp. Anyway to minimize the number of programs running to save bootup time and resources go to run and type msconfig->startup tab if you have windows 98 like me. This will give you what programs are currently running and which ones you can disable.

Oh yeah you might wanna check out these sites for what program to safely disable and what not.
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startlist.htm
    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/index.htm
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm <-- good ones long list.

And you might already know about msconfig and these things... but in case you dont know its a good way to save resources and bootup time.

BP and rangeral are correct on this , but if you need M$ to tell you

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q152104&

Ahhhh best reply yet. Why didn't I think to go to Microshaft? Maybe it's because I always feel dirty afterwards... thanks guys will try tonight.

El_BRIO