Thread: SCSI Question

SCSI Question

if i don't have a terminator, can i use the end of the cable? will that work?
    Dar

someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think it will work. I'm pretty sure you need to have a terminator.

If the device you are using, IE a hard drive, is terminated you can put it on the end of the cable and it will work. I have my self terminating CD/RW on the end of a cable with no additional terminators and it works fine.

Some details would be helpfull about your setup. Is it LVD or SE and what devices are on. What HBA do you have and what cable do you use?

Basically (and barring miracles) you MUST terminate each end of a SCSI chain. Without termination you get signal echoes bouncing back down the chain and the normally spooky behavior of SCSI chains becomes really weird and rarely works. The computer end (almost) always comes terminated.

Many drives have internal plug-in terminators so if you have that sort of drive, and they are plugged in, that's all you need. Some cases had terminators and you could turn terminaton off or on. Otherwise, you really do need that nice little terminator on the 2nd SCSI port of the drive case.
    FijiJohn