Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I found a little secrete about windows 98 upgrade and windows XP upgrade!

I found a little secrete about windows 98 upgrade and windows XP upgrade!

Today i was having problems installing my new hard drive. When I figured it out I was real tired and I didn't want to install windows 95 then 98 then XP. So I went straight to XP and started the setup. All this time i had XP upgrade I thought that you had to have an earlier version of windows on your system. But you don't have to have it installed at all. During the setup it asked you to put in the windows 98 CD to verify that you are a user of windows 98 or ME and are eligable to install Windows XP. SO people who are getting the full version of XP are getting ripped off! All they have to ddo is borrow a friends CD for a few seconds so that the XP setup can tell that you have an earlier copy of windows. They make everyone think that windows has to be installed to upgrade but you don't. If you look on the side of the XP upgrade box is clearly states, and I quote " The enclosed program will search your hard disk and/ or CD to confirm your eligibility for ths upgrade. The software will install only if you are a licensed user of one of the following products: Windows 98
    Windows 98 Second Edition
    Windows Millennium Edition" un quote.

So does that mean that if you use an earlier version, not an owner, then you can borrow a copy from your friend? If it doesn't mean that, then don't go do it, this is just a faster way of installing windows XP upgrade.

Or I good be a totalle idiot, and everyone already knows about this and I'm to stupid to realize it before

Laters,
    BiZkItKiD2001

Re: I found a little secrete about windows 98 upgrade and windows XP upgrade!

Originally posted by Bizkitkid2001
    Today i was having problems installing my new hard drive. When I figured it out I was real tired and I didn't want to install windows 95 then 98 then XP. So I went straight to XP and started the setup. All this time i had XP upgrade I thought that you had to have an earlier version of windows on your system. But you don't have to have it installed at all. During the setup it asked you to put in the windows 98 CD to verify that you are a user of windows 98 or ME and are eligable to install Windows XP. SO people who are getting the full version of XP are getting ripped off! All they have to ddo is borrow a friends CD for a few seconds so that the XP setup can tell that you have an earlier copy of windows. They make everyone think that windows has to be installed to upgrade but you don't. If you look on the side of the XP upgrade box is clearly states, and I quote " The enclosed program will search your hard disk and/ or CD to confirm your eligibility for ths upgrade. The software will install only if you are a licensed user of one of the following products: Windows 98
    Windows 98 Second Edition
    Windows Millennium Edition" un quote.

So does that mean that if you use an earlier version, not an owner, then you can borrow a copy from your friend? If it doesn't mean that, then don't go do it, this is just a faster way of installing windows XP upgrade.

Or I good be a totalle idiot, and everyone already knows about this and I'm to stupid to realize it before

Laters,
    BiZkItKiD2001

heheh

You can do that but why???? You are supposed to have a copy of 98/98se before you get the Xp upgrade, ..

By the way the Xp does not seacrh the comp it takes certain things from 98/98se cd and installs it!

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Yea its been around for awhile as far as 9x upgrade cd's are concerned but I wasn't sure if it worked with an XP upgrade cd now I know it does, thanks.

It checks for win.com and winver.exe to verify.

I thought this was well known, too. Oh well, live and learn.

geez, been doing that for a few years with 95, 98 and ME,,works great,, I hate having to install all of 98 before dropping in my ME Upgrade disc, so I cheated,, works fine

I hate being an idiot

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    No your not an idiot, I didn't know if it worked with XP yet and you've helped answer this.

one thing bad about upgrading is that it still has some win 98 or win me files when you install xp. Hence it is VERY BUGGY at first, when i upgrade from Me to XP, the computer crashes very 2-3 minutes. And most of the times, freezes up on start up or after your computer POST. After a while, the bug seems to go away, i guess i burned it in.

Wow..no way!!
    when I bought the upgrade for 98 1st edit. and did a format, it asked for my win95 upgrade and then my (I blieve)6 floppys for 3.1

Hmmm,, never had it ask for more than the previous editions CD. I've never even owned Win. 3.1, thank god.

Originally posted by leprechaun_40
    Hmmm,, never had it ask for more than the previous editions CD. I've never even owned Win. 3.1, thank god.
    You poor thing... you missed out on the transformation from a very very tiny pile of ****, to the largest pile of **** the worlds ever seen !!

Actually, im about to purchase parts for a new system...
    AMD XP 2100 etc..
    im thinking for starters, im going to install DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11, and benchmark using an old 16bit based app.
    From there, expand on to multiple boot's across multiple HDD's for the system, to ultimately (hopefully) have the following OS's:
    MS DOS 6.22, Win 3.11, Red Hat Linux, Win 98SE, Win2K, BeOS, WinXP

I said I hadn't owned Win 3.1,, I have had to use it,, it sucked,, made the old Mac's look good. No wonder some people went over to Apples.

What you are doing sounds like fun. I've still got DOS 6.22 on another machine, because it works well, I hate Microsloth but there aren't many apps for other O/S's out there yet. Maybe Billys Palladium will get Linux off the ground Of course, then I'll have to learn it. At least it doesn't have built in spyware like Palladium.

just a thought

on the upgrade versions

straight from teh horses mouth, while attending OTC here in Missouri...

(I am not sure if I am able to use names here so I will call him by our nickname for him)

"The Pope" (no offense to religious sectors) was our class insuctor in "Networking and Computers". He carries excessive credentials, but of course we all have our opinions. He told the class concerning this exact subject, that upgrades often work fine but are more prone to bug out. Tech support is always there in such instances but he mentioned that getting an original full version is always better than upgrading since some files are shared form the original lower grade version of windows. The new install for the OS is using old files and has to work out the problems it may encounter. The cost of course if far less for an uprade, but if you ever have to wipe the drive or change a drive or FDISK and FORMAT, you have the problem of having to retain the the original lower grade MS OS in order to re-install the MS upgrade. Just an opinion and no, I have never tried to upgrade yet, only new OS's...so take the above as you wish.
    straight from the heart of the Ozarks!

can someone explain to me how the windows xp activation %$^# works? i mean i made copies of xp and distributed them to freinds, they all used the smae serial no. and all activated it through the internet activation option, and no microsoft anti piracy group contacted me yet, and its been about 9 months.

i ALWAYS wondered WHY microsoft doesnt put copy protection into their cd's? i could easily make tons of copies with nero and sell them, but if they had copy protection if would cut down on SOME piracy.

the big software companies inflate the price of the new products to cover for the poeple that use copied software. wheather is good or bad they have to make back their costs somehow.

The small software companies (who often make better software) just go bankrupt.

The higher the price of software the more people will copy it. the more money they lose on their last product the higher the price of the latest.

It costs a lot of money to take someone to court and if they will not make back that money back it is not worth it for them. If you only make a few copies then they will proberly not bother but if you make thousands of copies then they are losing a lot of money and it will then become a big deal to them and MS have enough money to punish you though the courts.

Your risk your choice!
    (sorry if my spelling is bad)