Thread: Access and Dates

Access and Dates

I did an application for a company to keep track of customers and orders and stuff using access and vb. Now the whole thing is finished and polished off but ....

they say that they have a problem with the date.
    when they enter the date it will be ok but in a day or two when they check it again the day and month will be switched???

now they say it tends to happen quite often but i haven't been able to duplicate this behaviour my self and can't come up with a reason why this would be happening ( other than "its just M$")

if anybody has any idea or suggestion, or knows that there might be a problem with access 2k (since there is a "fiew") please let me know cause i am stoked!!

thanks in advance.

DR

To track the problem down I would try this:

-enter some new date info into the .mdb file and if the format is ok, save that file as your own a make it read-only.
    -try opening that file on different computers with Access, and the same computer a few days later, then see what happens to the format.

This will give you an idea if it's system related or program related.
    Perhaps the local settings on the company's computers are forcing Access to reformat the data.

Hope that helps, anyways.

Try making the format shor-date if they dont need the time on it.

Thanks for the suggestion pcmech007.

I tried doing that and opening it on a different system, but just one since thats all i got available to me and the dates were ok.

they say they have the dates to set up for a certain format but i made the software work with the format they use.

this is really screwed up.

i think the fault is either in their system or after a couple of days they they arent sure about the date anymore or something??

i don't know if ill figure this one out.

DR

but in a day or two when they check it again the day and month will be switched
    so, 01/02/28

becomes, 02/01/28?

now:

Is it a "day or two"?

is, this an all 'access' app???

ISO uses like 1-12-2002. Maybe they are inputting that. And Access displays 12/1/02. I think its just a display issue.

Well, the DB is in access but everything else is done through VB.
    and they say about 2 days later however i haven't seen the date change on my system yet, so i still haven't been able to duplicate the problem on my system and it is like an hours drive one way so i would like to avoid having to go there a couple times to figure this out.

the date formats that it works with are:
    mm/dd/yyyy
    dd-mmm-yyyy
    but i tried it and it makes no difference if you use / or -
    it still works fine

im going to have to have a serious session with the guy to know every detail of this problem or even go there 2 or 3 times to see it first hand.

and yes, 01/02/28 would become 02/01/28
    or atleast that is how i understand it