Thread: Trouble with Kazaa & ONLY Kazaa!!

Trouble with Kazaa & ONLY Kazaa!!

I am having trouble getting Kazaa to open. EVERY other program opens just fine. Kazaa is the only one that won't open. No error messages at all. I tried WITH and W/O my firewall, Zone Alarm Pro. No dice. I tried closing every other program...no dice. I even DOWNLOADED the latest version. I couldn't even install it. What the heck gives here? I am running Win98SE, AMD 500mhz, 256mb, 8.4gbhd. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Kazaa spies on you hardcore - Uninstall that sucka and do some googling for kazaa lite.

Howdy. You have the wrong version of Kazaa. Kazaa has a ton of spyware and slows ya down.

First, go here...

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    offers Ad-aware, a program dedicated to scanning for and removing advertising systems and spyware.

then go here

http://doa2.host.sk/

happy computing!

-Artificial Intelligence is prefferable to actual stupidity any day
    - Artificial intelligence is prefferable to actual stupidity any day. ;-)

I tried the following: Uninstalled Kazaa; downloaded and installed Ad-Aware; downloaded and installed Kazaa Lite. Guess what. it didn't help. Now Kazaa Lite won't open. I don't understand. Kazaa was working just fine before. Why is this the ONLY program that won't open. This is too weird.

seriously man get rid of Kazza, its bad bad news. it does more things than most people know. If you really want a P2P program then the new morpheus should be ok as they have filtered out 99% of the spyware and its a lot more system friendly.

Ohh and some other advice buy the CD's or apps its much safer

Ultimate Member
    Trick X speaks the gospel there like,

despite what everyone keeps saying about kazza and kazza lite and all the rave reviews ive never goten on with it, id reccomend morpheus (although the install download used to be quite large - not sure about now), or the most reliable ive found to be is grokster, the install file isnt massive either -- give em both a whirl - see what you think -- and then report back -- hopefully happy

--Jakk

Kazaa needs the spyware in order for it to work, if I'm not mistaken. Even if you use Kazaa-Lite there is a file that Adaware picks up as some sort of spyware called Cydoor, or something to that effect. If you would have FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS when installing Kazaa-Lite you would have read the instructions for not removing the Cydoor file. It is required for the program to run. It's my understanding that Cydoor does nothing but serve you some popup ads while Kazaa-Lite is running. Big Deal. Kazaa-Lite only removed the spyware that hooked you up to some shared computing network. I forget what its called. Look for info about it at www.cnet.com. And I know I've got some info about it in a thread around here somewhere. Hopefully everytime you use AdAware you create a backup. It may come in handy this time around. If reinstalling Kazaa-Lite and leaving the CyDoor file as is doesn't work, I don't have any more good ideas. And as an after thought, if you do get Kazaa-Lite to work, don't upgrade to the newest version in case it does something to either reinstall the spyware that isn't in it, or disables what you already have so it doesn't work.

I finally got Kazaa Lite to run properly. The fix? I upgraded my installation of Zone Alarm Pro to ver 3.0.118. I noticed that Kazaa was mentioned at the update page for Zone Alarm, so I downloaded the update. Who would've thunk it? Especially when I tried running Kazaa Lite with Zone Alarm Pro NOT running. Thanx to all those who replied.

www.kazaalite.com is the best place to get it.

eespinosa - Before you got KaZaA to work correctly with Zone Alarm Pro version 3.0.118, what version of Zone Alarm were you using? I had a similar problem when I tried to update my Zone Alarm from the last version of ZAP 2.6 to 3.0 when it first came out. I got all of my other software to run correctly but could not get KaZaA to open up. I finally re-installed 2.6 and KaZaA started to work correctly again. If the latest version of ZAP (3.0.118) allows KaZaA to work correctly I would like to try the upgrade again. Please let me know. Thanks.

jlgallag
    jlgallag

remove the spyware!!!!

I am sure that even though Kazaa lite is out, many people still use Kazaa.
    So this is a way to remove the spyware from kazaa, without downloading any
    software. what the spyware does is looks at everything you are doing and sends
    it to a company named 'Brilliant'. I know, its very scary. So heres the way to
    uninstall it....
    1 click the start button, then go into control panel.
    2 in the control panel select add remove programs
    3 in the add remove programs screen highlight the file name
    'B3d projector'
    4 click change\remove button
    (you may get a message that the uninstall is sussessful.)
    5 click the start button> search> for files or folders
    6 Type in "BDE" (no quotations)
    7 a folder will be found. double click the folder
    8 open the folder, then run the file called bdeclean.exe
    9 go back to the search field and type in "Brilliant"(no quotations)
    10 if the folder is found delete it
    12 then back in the search field, find each one of the these then delete them.

bdedownloader.dll
    bdedata2.dll
    bdefdi.dll
    bdeinsta2.dll
    bdeinstall.exe
    bdesecureinstall.cab
    bdesecureinstall.exe
    bdeverify.exe
    bdeverify.dll

To jlgallag, I'm not exactly sure of the previous ver of Zone Alarms Pro was, but it was something like "3.0.0xx" I hope this helps.
    Last edited by eespinosa; 07-07-2002 at 12:05 PM.