Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Santa Cruz drivers and XP

Problem with Santa Cruz drivers and XP

Hi,

Well I got my turtle beach santa cruz sound card today in the mail. I put it in the PCI slot fine. I go into Windows XP, it says it has found new hardware and then searches for drivers, it finds them on the OEM disk I got with the card. but everytime It goes to install it, it says

An error occured during the installation of this device.

The data is corrupt.

So I go and try to download the drivers. I do and get the same error. Also the drivers dont install when xp uses it default drivers for it.

I had onboard sound but I disabled it in the BIOS, and no longer have it. It is no longer in device manager.
    In device manager I have an error next to Multimedia audio controller and it says no driver installed. But I cant install my driver for it

I also tryed to install the drives that XP has default but no go, I tryed to install them by the update tab, no go. I try to roll back but of course I have no drivers.
    Why can't I get these drivers installed.

Windows xp pro
    ak75-ec motherboard
    1.4 t-bird
    640mb ram
    geforce 3

I am stumped here.
    Thanks
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Have you tried installing from a Setup file on the CD?
    MS MCP, MCSE

The data is corrupt.
    Sounds very strange to me, especially when you saying it also occurs with freshly downloaded drivers
    Try running Scandisk and also wiping all the "temp" files in all the "temp" directories (c:\windows\temp, c:\documents and settings\(your profile)\local settings\temp and so on). Then run Scandisk and Defrag once again.
    Try the soundcard in different slot.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Yes forgot to mention that. I install from the cd it says it has finished with no problems.

but then I go into device manager and it still has no driver installed for it. Nor does it have it listed as a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. Just listed as a Multimedia audio controller with an error next to it.

Thanks

Thanks ND. I will try that, however I have tryed 3 different PCI slots so that isnt it. I also should have made it clearer that when I download the drivers and install I dont get that message the same thing happens as when I install from the disk---I go into device manager and it still has no driver installed for it.--Even after it says the install was ok.

edit- I also forgot to mention I did a virus and spyware scan but found nothing
    Last edited by gibsinep; 07-03-2002 at 08:17 PM.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Ok I tryed doing all that and then installing from the disk again.

Now While installing from disk in the corner XP once again tells me it has found new hadware but experianced an error during the install. The same error as before. Perhaps that is interfering with the driver install from the cd. How can I disable that automatic feature in XP that detects new hardware. As the same thing is happening when I install the driver from hardrive also as cd. XP re-finds the hardware and they has an error with it.

After installing from the disk once and HD once again it still installs ok but in device manager isnt seen as the Santa cruz sound card. Nor does it say it has any drivers installed.

Thanks for the help

Big, er... sineP =D

In the readme.txt with the Santa Cruz driver download is some important info. Your posts don't indicate if you followed the recommended installation process, or not. In case not, please:

Go into Add/Remove programs and uninstall "Turtle Beach Santa Cruz" (if present). Also, remove all possible remaining references to the Sound Card (device manager, delete any sound card related entries). When satisfied that you've cleaned out the device references, reboot.

When booting you should see the auto-detect process kick in. CANCEL it. Do NOT allow it to continue.

Ok, now you're in XP without having installed anything for the card (if everyone behaved themselves). Go find the .exe that is the extracted driverset you downloaded, probably called "TBSCruz4161s.exe" or something similar. Execute that program. Click on "next" and follow any prompts that appear onscreen. NOTE: I've also read in places one might be advised to be disconnected from the Internet during certain unsigned driver installations to prevent XP from "running home to momma" (aka. Microshaft) and replacing unsigned drivers for signed ones it might find? Dunno about that, but no need to be on the Internet during the install, so you might consider taking that course of action out of superstition (I don't, but since you're having problems I think it can't hurt to be extra cautious).

Reboot once install is finished (pay not attention to whether or not XP tells you to, or not). Now, check and see if your install issues are still present. Post back and lemme know. I own a SC myself and have had nothing but smooth sailing on the initial driver install and on several updates since then.

Best of luck,

-lb

Can you find the drivers on the cd or d/l file?

If so try setting up the drivers manually rather than using setup.

You may want to uninstall drivers before trying this:
    Go to Device Manager then to sound card, change driver, select location etc > point to where drivers are

Also have you checked Turtle Beachs website cause I thought I read somewhere about Santa Cruz issues with XP [actually XP with Santa Cruz ]

OK try lanboys way first [whattaguy posted as I was typing ]

NO!!!

LOL, Me and the other guy here must be crossing paths while posting. <insistence on trying it my way first, deleted>

I will note, however, that XP and the Santa Cruz get along great ever since several driver updates ago.

Peace,

-lb
    Last edited by lanboy; 07-03-2002 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks a lot guys. I will try those out.

I kinda did what lanboy said but not completely so I will go through that way. Thanks a lot guys.

OK heres the deal. I think we are on to somthing.

I have a a big problem that being is XP detects and install everything in the taskbar were I cant cancel it. This is the chain events.All of them are said above a icon in the taskbar

1 Found new hardware
    2. Santa Cruz

3 Then it brings up a window saying an error ocured during the installation ofthis device. SO i have no way of canceling XP auto detect. I cant hit cancel I have no way of doing it.

So how can I cancel this form automatically happening?

Thanks

Uninstall, boot to Safe Mode and manual install via executable?
    MS MCP, MCSE

Also after installing the drivers [one way or another] after your reboot XP will "find new hardware" again such as your gameport etc. but hopefully it will find./use the drivers you just installed

Having fun yet?
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5852028.asp

Windows may have installed incorrect Drivers. After you Download the latest
    Drivers from our Web Site, follow these steps:

1. Boot into Safe mode and remove the old Santa Cruz drivers from the
    Device Manager.

2. Shutdown the system and carefully take the card out of the machine.

3. Boot into normal mode and check your Device Manager to make sure it
    matches what you have in Safe mode. If it does not, boot back into
    Safe mode and remove the drivers that do not appear in normal mode.

4. When you have both device managers matching, Shutdown the machine and
    carefully replace the card. Disconnect your internet connection
    temporarily, and make sure the CD is not in the CD-Rom drive.

5. At the first opportunity to cancel the Hardware Installation Wizard,
    do so. You want to get to the desktop.

6. The instructions for installing these drivers correctly are in the
    readme file included in the zip file.

7. Don't forget to reconnect your internet connection.

8. When you run the exe file embedded in the zip file for the first time,
    if it finds anything from the old installation (for example, the Control
    Panel Software), it will give you the choice to remove or rebuild.

9. Choose remove, reboot, and perform from step #6.

Support site
    Last edited by cyclone2; 07-03-2002 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks all of you. It is a liitle late but tomorrow I will give it all a shot. Thanks again.

O yeah I stopped having fun 9 hours ago.

Ok well I did exactly what cyclone2 pointed me toward. So I boot into windows(normal) and after unistalling everthing in safe mode, and taking the card out, then I replaced the card because everything matched. Then I come into windows after it all with my card back in and it says. It found (says this above taskbar

<new multimedia audio device
    <Santa cruz

Then I get a message asking if I want to install the driver that is not digatally signed. I click no AS I have my own corect driver.

Then I get in the taskbar

<Santa Cruz

Then a big windows saying the data is corrupt.

So there must be some stupid old driver files left?

I am bout 1 step from sending thhis piece of junk back and gettting a different card.

Thanks