Thread: [hopefully not silly] questions about Windows Update

[hopefully not silly] questions about Windows Update

I use Windows Update pretty regularly to keep security etc. updates current and I don't recall every having any special problem (I'm W98se etc.).

Recently, driver updates have begon being presented as available - specifically for my Promise 66 Card and my ATI AIW Pro Card (both of these have the latest available from Promise & ATI).

The questions are:

Are these [usually] ok to accept?
    Has there been any experience with __it happening?
    Will these supercede updates that I have applied from Promise or ATI?
    Are these separate from, and work in concert with, the Promise/ATI drivers?

Things are working ok - I just don't want to get into drivers from hell land <g>.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Geo. S.

The drivers Windows proposes to upgrade are generally latest WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab) tested, so in most cases they offer maximum compatability with your existing hardware. Try to upgrade and see what happens in each case - you can always go back to the previous version in case of new bugs

really theres no point updating those kink of drivers until you encounter a problem. My modem drivers are years old but my modem connects very fast an i have no problems atall so why get the new drivers that may cause problems??? I can unnderstand the need to update graphics/Sound/Motherboard etc but for those if they are serving you well i'd let them be, or make sure you have the old ones to revert to if the new ones have bugs

Richard

Personally, I image my drive before accepting any updates or installing any new programs. If something goes bogus, I just restore!

I may be wrong, but I always think it's better to get driver updates only if you need them and only from the manufacturer's site. The exception for me is video drivers, I upgrade them all the time and keep the version that performs the best.

If they're WHQL drivers I'm sure they'll be very compatible and SHOULD be bug-free.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I felt that they might be okay but I wasn't inclined to take them because who knows what's going to happen - I'm not aware of anything not working ok for me.

I've always felt more comfortable with an update from the manufacturer - they should know their product.

I think maybe I'll sit tight for now but a CDRW has long been on my wish list then I can, too, do the image backup/restore dance when necessary (If I had a bay available I might add a really big disk then image all my other disks to slices on it - but oh well).

Thanks.
    Geo. S.

you said you don't have a cdrw to make backups, another option would be norton ghost where you could make your backup image on another hard drive or you can partition an area on the same drive for backups.
    I personally don't update unless I'm having a problem. I operate under the rule IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. Sorry grandma. (she was an english teacher)

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    GSalisbury good choice using 98 as that would be a real pain to fix whereas XP you could rollback, does make it easier in XP. I consider win update dangerous to use and have never used it, mainly service pak1 for 98fe I've found safe to use as a separate d/l but not thru update.

Yeah I go with Mcool on that one.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-