Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can not connect to Internet with DSL

Can not connect to Internet with DSL

I have had the problem for 1.5 weeks. I called up my ISP and tried to work things through. No luck, so Friday they sent out a technician to see how my line was and he was able to connect with his laptop just fine. So they figured it was a bad network card. I went and bought a new one and installed it and the cd with drivers. Well I tried to connect and no luck. Does anyone know anything I can try before I hae to bring it in and cost me a bunch of money.

Thanks

this maybe a stupid sugestion and I would hope the tech would have tried this but he/she may not have. so the tech was able to get his laptop working, do you know if he tried using your computer to get on? as some isp will not touch the custermers computers for fear of a law suit over lost data. anyhow my point here is have you tried the online custmer OCA and regerster your computer for it's own MAC address? especialy now the you bought a new netwerk card since each card has it's own ip address? your provider may only allow one or two ip address to your DSL?

The tech used my modem, phone line hooked into his laptop and it worked. Then he had my computer hooked and did nothing. So that is how he cam up with the results. Is that what is being asked of me?

I dont know about the OCA and registering for a MAC. How do I do this?

you proably will have to call the tech support for the web page address for the custmer OCA"online custmer administration " it will most liekly be something like "http:\\oca.hsia.somthing"
    and it will ask you for your password and user ID there you should find the steps to regester for a new mac address for your ne netwerk card? once you have don that you may have to reboot..just curious have you tried going under the command promt and type IPCONFIG? just to see if your get a DNS or ip address?

I did run IPCONFIG and it did give me the correct IP Address, Subnet address and my Gateway.

sounds to me as if you need to regerster for a MAC address for that computer ..do you have your LAN settings to obtain a IP address automaticly (dynamic IP address) or manual(staitc IP address) these are just sugestions to point you in the right direction? one other thing if you have a firewall disable it and try
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 06-23-2002 at 05:46 PM.

I am appreciating your help. I have had this computer working on the network for over 1 year till this. So every new network card has to be assigned a new IP address? I guess I dont follow that part. I am guessing I have a static IP address as everytime I talked to a tech The same address was verified. I do not have Zone Alarm active as that is the firewall I use.

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    What OS are you using anyway? System specs would help, if your using ipconfig then you must be using nt of some sort go back to the cmd prompt type ipconfig /release hit enter and then ipconfig /renew and enter to bind the new card to your system or protocols if you don't get anything try another slot and also remove your protocols restart and add them back in. Again give us your OS. Forgot this is dsl also remove pppoe and reinstall it again.

I did run IPCONFIG and it did give me the correct IP Address, Subnet address and my Gateway.

Did your IP startr with 169.*.*.* if so that is windows giving you that ip not a dhcp server. did you try ipconfig /release all.
    if your running 2k/xp did you stop and restart DHCP services and you must leave in you old nic, because your new mac will not be in the database
    Last edited by maximus02143; 06-23-2002 at 06:44 PM.

I am running 98SE, 750 mhz Athelon, 256 Ram

the protocols? Is this the IP/TCP in the network neighbor? IF i remove, how do I put them back in?

what is pppoe? Do not know what that is.

My Ip starts out with 208....

anyone still around to help me?

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    If its 98 you should be typing winipcfg in the run box off the start button then select your network card in the drop down window above and hit the release and renew buttons, actually I meant to say winpoet look for it in add/remove programs in the control panel and uninstall it then restart and reinstall see what happens. Try the winipcfg first if you don't get nothing then try the winpoet method.

Is your IE browser set to handle your dsl? Maybe some program reset it to something else.

I have had an ADSL internet connection for almost 2 years and have never registered any MAC address with my ISP.

Both IPCONFIG and WINIPCFG work in Win 98SE. IPCONFIG needs to be run from a C:\windows prompt in a DOS box WINIPCFG is run in Windows.

When you signed up for DSL service did your ISP give you an information sheet with your Email address, IP address and subnet mask, gateway server's IP address DNS server's primary and secondary IP addresses.

If you don't know what PPPoE(Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) is you obviously don't use it to connect to the internet and don't need to worry about winpoet.

If you have the instruction sheet and it has an IP address assigned to your connection you have a static IP

Open control panel, click on the network icon, click on the network adapter that your DSL connection uses to connect to the internet to highlight it, choose the properties button, the properties sheet should open to the IP address page make sure this IP address matches the one assigned by your ISP go through the rest of the pages making sure the IP addresses match the ones provided by your ISP.

You may want to check with your ISP to be sure your IP addresses are up to date. My ISP has changed gateways once and DNS servers twice and is changing DNS servers again July 1st

Open internet explorer, if you get the MSN Welcome page you were successful if you don't , go to tools at the top of the page, choose "internet options" on the internet options properties sheet choose the "connections" tab, choose connect to the internet to start the internet connection wizard making sure to tell it to connect via LAN and re-enter all the information as provided by your ISP.
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro, X6800 Conroe, ATI X1950XTX OC Uber edition CrossFire Set, 4GB G.Skill (4 x 1GB) DDR2 1000, (2) WD5000KS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb HDDs, Plextor PX-755SA DVD RW, Adaptec SAS RAID subsystem

I want to start by saying I appreciate your help.

OK, I tried to do the winipcfig from the start..run
    I did see my network card there and it was the only one. I highlighted it but it did not give me the choice to release or renew. I dont know if i goofed this up when I went into MS-DOS and typed in IPCONFIG/RELEASE and also IPCONFIG/RENEW. I do know when I did that there where several option and I dont know if I was suppost ot choose any additional options.

I have used IE 6 on my DSL line and it had worked. How would I tell if something was reset? I have a old computer at home and I can connect to the internet as that is how I am connecting now.

When I opened a browser and went to tools..internet options..connections...i tried the LAN button but that does not have a internet wizard. So I tried the top button on create internet conncetion and it gave me a message box saying "Failed to load the internet connection wizard helper component" did I lose a file somehow?

Ok, I am not sure if I quite get this.

1) How do you connect to your DSL connection, i.e. always on, or some sort of dialup like software like Enternet?

2) Are you connecting and just not able to receive anything, another words IE keeps saying Page Cannot Be Displayed?

Let me know, maybe I can find something out, also who provides the DSL?
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at some other poor sucker.