Thread: Looking for a moderately priced sound card..

Looking for a moderately priced sound card..

I'm one of those people attempting to copy my whole ancient record collection to my hard drive. Anyone have any suggestions and/or recommendations on a reasonably priced (under $125) sound card that will do the trick? I basically want to have one with a stereo input (if such exists, as I haven't seen one yet). I intend to convert the files to mp3's and burn cd's like most people, and are there any special features (this includes any supporting software) that I should look for that will make this task easier? I am already running a pentium 4 with win 98se computer, so I should have most or all of what is needed in my system... - minihertz

Sound Card

I would recommend Sound Blaster Audigy MP3. I have the SBA Gamer there the same card just different software is shipped. its reasonabily priced just around $100. i got mine (new boxed) for $65 off the net. Its a great card for the money.

I'm running an athlon 1.3 t-bird @ 1.5 w/ win2k pro and it does an excellent job of converting files to different sound formats.

get info here

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigymp3
    Last edited by BadBoy_77; 06-11-2002 at 05:34 AM.

I have been using the turtle beach Santa Cruz sound card. The newer versions are supposed to be great. However, I think SoundBlaster cards give you more features and for $64 I would grap up that Audigy.

for that price you migh be able to snap up a SB live 5.1 plat with the front panel if you are doing a lot of digital encoding etc which i do th front panel is very useful. I know the Audigy has this option but i couldnt tell you how much they cost but i know the live+panel reaches around $100-$130 ish

Sound blaster

you can find the audigy platinum on the net somewhere(s) around $150-250

if go retail (circut city, staples, etc) they might be 199-299 depending on store markup.

i'd stick to net. ebay, bizrate and so on.

Soundblaster Audigy MP3 on Newegg for $85 RETAIL.....add about 7-10 bucks for shipping and you have an excellent choice and an excellent distributor.

I just bought the gamer version and it sounds great. Came with a separate Firewire card as well.

Fritz44
    Last edited by Fritz44; 06-11-2002 at 11:15 AM.