Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my MS optical mouse

What's wrong with my MS optical mouse

From time to time, it would just disconnect. The red light turns off and i can't do anything with it until I reboot the whole system...

JTax

Use the PS/2 adapter. USB does that is another USB device gets piggish.
    MS MCP, MCSE

USB what?

I thought it was my usb ports that messed up, i tried to plug the mouse into different ports ( i have 4 ) but all failed.

I'm sorry bipolar, i don't understand what you meant with a usb going piggish.

The mouse is the only usb device i have. The problem started after i installed windows xp, i'm not sure if that means anything, also i've installed the intellimouse software. Either way, something is wrong.

JTAx

Open System Information (MSINFO32.EXE) and navigate to Hardware Resources > IRQs. Click anywhere in the right pane and then press CTRL-A and then CTRL-C. You have copied that data to the clipboard. Paste that data in a reply here.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Here you go

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 3 NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 OK
    IRQ 3 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 3 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 3 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) OK
    IRQ 3 Instant Wireless - Network PCI CARD #2 OK
    IRQ 3 Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3 OK
    IRQ 3 HPT370 UDMA/ATA100 RAID Controller OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

Thanks for helping me out.

JTAx

Is this Win2K or WinXP?
    MS MCP, MCSE

It's...

Windows XP.

Also, do you know why sometimes when xp loads up, it just freezes at the faded logo (before it contrasts and you can see the loading blocks moving)?

And also, is there an option for windows to not ask me to check the disk after the first time that i cancel it? You see, everytime my mouse disconnects, xp doesn't close properly. With win98, it stopped asking me to check the disk after i cancelled it the first time, but with xp, no matter if it closes properly the next time, there it is again when i boot up...

I remember an update that i think concerned that matter, i installed it a while back, i wonder if i'm supposed to set an option...

JTAx

Also, do you know why sometimes when xp loads up, it just freezes at the faded logo (before it contrasts and you can see the loading blocks moving)?

It's detecting (enumerating) hardware - normal.

And also, is there an option for windows to not ask me to check the disk after the first time that i cancel it? You see, everytime my mouse disconnects, xp doesn't close properly. With win98, it stopped asking me to check the disk after i cancelled it the first time, but with xp, no matter if it closes properly the next time, there it is again when i boot up...

Use MSCONFIG.EXE > Advanced to change that.

On the USB thing, download and install the VIA 4-in-1 drivers and USB Filter patch:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2
    MS MCP, MCSE

thanks

I'll test the drivers and let you know if they worked.

For the windows xp logo freeze, i mean that it freezes forever and i have to reboot the comp. But it's not so bad, it usually works fine the second time i boot up. If you know what to do, i'd appreciate the help, if not, don't worry about it. Thanks though man.

JTAx

It freezes solid and must be restarted? That's either bad hardware (possibly USB) or you should just Repair WinXP. Boot from the XP CD and select Setup > F8 > Install > Repair - not Recovery Console.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Gone
    Yeah that recovery console just gives you a dos prompt type thing.

Installed the drivers

Alright, i installed the latest via and the usb filter. Though my mouse did disconnect once, it was fine today and i was on the comp for long hours.

What happened yesterday was that i was watching a movie and when it was over and i got up to exit media player, it disconnected (though i don't know if it was before or after i moved the mouse)

Either way, if today was just luck and it happens some more, i'll let you know.

As far as the msconfig, i assumed you meant boot.ini -> Advanced, but i didn't find anything regarding how to disable the check disk after a successful shut down. I was not sure what the other options meant so i left them alone.

JTAx

PS: Should i install the USB 2.0 from the via website? Or are they for the newer motherboards? Alright, thanks again bill.

USB 2.0? Are you keeping secrets?
    MS MCP, MCSE

This happens to me a lot. I have a USB mouse with a PS2 adapter and a Dell system. WHenever I would loose the mouse I would jiggle the plug and it would come back to life.

Apparently you can damage the PS/2 port or mouse itself by unplugging it from a PS/2 port while the PC is on. It may also be the same if you jiggle it a bit. USB shouldn't have that prob but who knows.

What happens when you try another mouse either USB or PS/2?