Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: which MS OS is better?

which MS OS is better?

I'm running winME in my pc and i wanted to upgrade to a newer OS. Which is better? WinXP or Win2k? or should i just stick to WinMe. I do a lot of web surfing, chatting, downloading, and cd burning. I'm not much of a gamer. I have a PIII 1ghz with 256 mb of RAM. There are currently no probs with my system. I run scandisk and defrag once a week because i move and change large files often, plus Norton's WinDoctor.

IMHO, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you upgrade to 2000 or xp, some of your programs may not work. Do some research and make sure that everything you have will run on 2000 or xp. It sounds like your system is pretty stable, so you might want to hold off. Just my thoughts.

If you do decide to upgrade from ME, I would use Win 2k. I use it everyday and have many applications running. It is a very stable os. Good Luck

I agree, what beneifts do you expect from a newer OS. Fair enough ME is poor with a capital P, but then it works for you!

I was going to upgrade to 2000Pro, but then someone pointed out, why buy old software. Get XP Pro with the new Plus Pack/Upgrade and you should be laughing, if not having your pocket/wallet/bank account (why can't we just have money in a wallet? ) lighter.

Stefan
    Stefan

Win9x/ME are pure ***** - my personal experience many times...
    If you wanna OS from MS, then choose Win2K/XP - the only way to be.
    Here are the advantages:
    1. Pure stability;
    2. More secure;
    3. CPU "HLT" cooler integrated;
    4. WinNT Kernel;
    5. More friendly user interface;
    6. Faster;
    7. Optimized cache and disk operations;
    8. Supports MUCH RAM;
    9. Supports SMP;
    10. Perfect multitasking;
    11. WinXP have integrated RAW sockets support and an integrated firewall;
    12. NTFS support;
    13...XX and much much more - those are the features I've remembered just this minute.

I agree with Kurylo... the one time I tried Windows ME I only used it for an hour before I went to Win2k (don't you just love pirated software?) Windows ME is terrible if you ask me, I'm using WinXP Pro these days, no complaints except it has some SERIOUS compatability issues with CD burning software, especially ez-cd creator.

I agree if it ant broke dont fix it.

Ihad a stable ME system up graded to XP and its got worse and slower.
    XP ant no more stable.

I totaly agree with BJUK, my system ran way faster and more stable when I had windows ME on It. XP is too slow!!!!! Just keep ME.

XP is great. I have used for like 7 months and like it the most out of 95, 98, 98se, 2k, or me.

In 7 months I havent froze, crashed, or locked up at all. really really stable and does a good job at managing memory.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

KMA
    IMO W2K because it is faster, more stable and has better memory management than "Why ME". Also IMO XP is not much more than W2K with some unneeded **** added. I refuse to use XP because of the activation **** too. Also W2K has a better TCP/IP stack than "Why ME" from what I understand.

I have used all versions of Windows, I have to say for me the best has been Win2000Pro ME was very good for me no problems at all.
    Xp for me is SH*T, Sorry but it is ****, unstable no use with older software, even with the emulation ****, slow etc etc.
    Win2000 on the other hand has been the complete opposite.
    I have read somewhere not sure where, that Win2000 runs applications, games etc alot faster than Xp does.
    I am also a online gamer, with Win2000 my connection and games run far better.
    If you want to upgrade goto Win2000, you wont be sorry.
    I wasnt.

It's better to burnout than fade away!

wizard101uk- was all your hardware compaitble with XP, if not that could cause instability and slowness.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

I been using XP for 7 months, (new computer) the only freeze was after running check disk.
    No other problem or complaint.
    XP is GREAT!

But I don't think it is for older slower systems.

Well arkie I have a my second system running it

Duron 750mhz
    128mb ram
    Geforce 2mx
    AK75-EC

And it still never freezes and is very fast.

if you have the disk space, dual boot between 98SE (not ME) and WinXP/Win2k (windows XP is everything Windows 2000 is)
    ...sweet.