Thread: win98se shut down woes-----

win98se shut down woes-----

On my Compaq Armada 3500 (PII-366) notebook will restart, inbstead of shutting down---when i perform the run>shutdown sequence...

My Gateway PIII/866 whill (on same manuver) shutdown the hdd but the monitor rermains on with the Windows "shutdown" screen!

I think these two problems have a common cause and solution?

solutions?

tx
    ed

Is this a recent development?

Does the Gateway say "You may now turn off your computer"?

Look in Power Options on both PCs. This should be in Display > Screen Saver.

Usually, a restart situation can be addressed with a BIOS (ROM in Compaq-speak) update. As a matter of fact, I would update the BIOS on both.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I wouldn't assume because they are both shutdown problems that they have the same cause. I would suggest using the shutdown trouble shooter that is included with the Win 98 help or on the Microsoft site and see if the solution is there.

I use W98se.

After I had to re-load a number of times due to a drive that went south, I started enjoying<g> the Shutdown=Reboot experience.

At first I just lived with it and did a Shutdown to DOS and then powered-off; but eventually that wore thin and I started pursuing the KB Articles etc. but then that, too, started to wear me out because there's so much of it; however I did wind-up at a fix that worked for me.

I was originally W95 upgraded to W98 upgraded to W98se.

It turned out that my [vanilla/full] loads of 98se caused the msconfig/General/Advanced panel to not have the Disable Fast Shudown option.

I use the Xteq Systems X-Setup Tuning Tool. It has an option to restore the Disable Fast Shutdown option.

I did that and then went to msconfig and selected the Disable option and now my W98se system shuts down properly.

That might work for you.
    Geo. S.

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdownz.htm
    If the box is missing in Windows 98 SE, it means you have already applied the Shutdown Patch, which has permanently disabled Fast Shutdown and then removed the box.

There may be a program that is not shutting down right. use msconfig to disable background programs and re-enable them a few at a time. this will help to isolate the naughty program. antivirus is notorious for this problem.

another thing would be to log off, then do a shutdown. In a network environment, Win98 doesn't "unhook" properly especially with faster computers.

For other tips, check out this technet article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/directo..._SRCH&SPR=W98&

SOLUTIONS!!!!!!!...........................

(a) The Compaq was "fixed" by disabling "fast shutdown"

(b) The Gateway was "fixed" by totally wiping the hdd and performing a factory OS reinstall (with all the Gateway drivers)

Both now shutdown almost immediately.

The Gateway has been "Flaky" for several months (ie--video not loading properly, modem acting sluggishly, shutdown freezing etc)...the factory reinstall seems to have cured all--I now am informed the "Fedora" (a Gateway acronym for their IBM motherboard) MB is quirky..will consider replacing same with another board..hopefully I can use the same (gateway) case (altho they put an elcheepo power supply therein--only 135 watts!)

Thank God I had the Gateway restore discs as they contain many drivers for the mothervoard..dont know how i wld ever have restored without this disc!--at least the "old" compuiters (P166s and earlier) "work" with "just" win9X (provides all the drivers)!!
    ed

All's well that ends well.

Man...I would upgrade to Win2K on the laptop and XP on your upgraded beige box when you get the chance. Win9x gets brittle bones after a year or so.
    MS MCP, MCSE