Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Norton ghost partition to partition copy

Norton ghost partition to partition copy

I did a partition to partition copy. It ended with 3,848,xxx,xxx Mb on D: and 4,894,xxx,xxx Mb on C:. These are primary and exteded partitions on my HDD ( sorry, C: is the prim and D: is the ext.). It shows, under "My Computer", as 3.58 Gig (D) and 4.55 Gig (C).

First, why does it round down to these numbers and secondly, why didn't the approximately, one Gig copy to the D:?

My first thought was, hidden files. But those are only hidden because the OS says they are. The hard drive doesn't know that and should do a simple copy of all 1's and 0's.

Man, I'm looking for answers here!

I appreciate all help offered.

rounder

First, there are 1024MB in a GB - not 1000. That explains a lot, eh?

Second, D is a logical partition in the extended partition. Picture an extended partition as a "wrapper" in which you place logical partitions. Programs like Partition Magic allow you to fudge it a little, but the above is the unwritten rule.

BTW...welcome to SysOpt!
    MS MCP, MCSE

BipolarBill, You are absolutely correct.

Do you have any idea as to why "My Computer" - Properties of C: and properties of D: are showing different amounts of space used of these two "drives"?

I assumed a copy would be just that, a copy. What might fail to copy when using Ghost? On another forum someone asked wheter I did a "clone" or an "image". The only term I remember seeing was "copy".

Well you never said whether the drives were identical or not. I assumed that they weren't.

If you "clone" drive to drive, they will be absolutely identical. If you clone partition to drive and have a hidden partition (this is common in pre-made PCs) on drive 1, you may not be using the entire second drive. There may be unpartitioned space there.

If you have Partition Magic, you can view your partitions with it. In Win2K and WinXP, you can view them with Disk Management (DISKMGMT.MSC).

There is also this little freebee:

http://www.cadvancedap.com/Zeleps/
    MS MCP, MCSE

Let me start from the beginning.
    I have one physical HDD that I partitioned into a primary (logical C: - 30 Gig) and an extended (logical D: - 15 Gig).

I used Norton Ghost to copy the data on my C: to my D:, to use for emergency recovery. When it finished, I noticed that there was nearly 1 Gig less space used on my D:, than on my C:. I was hoping to see exact Mb usage, when I checked them, to verify a good copy.

I believe all information I have is either in this or the earlier post.

Your terminology is throwing me. When you image a partition to a file, that's called a partition dump. You said "copy". If you truly chose Local > Partition > To Partition (which is a copy), you shouldn't have. You should have chosen Local > Partition > To Image. In that case, there would be a single *.GHO file on partition D.

If you did indeed create an image on D, it will be slightly compressed into on single file, explaining the size difference. If, on the other hand, you have directories on D instead of an image file, you should format it as FAT32 and run Ghost again to dump to an image instead.

Understand that when you copy partitions or drives in Ghost, it changes the destination on a very low level. If it was FAT32 and you copy an NTFS partition to it, it will be NTFS when you're done.

Depending on your version of Ghost and how you copied, the swap file may either may not be copied or Windows will dispose of the duplicated swap file knowing that it is bogus.

Advice:

Format D and use Ghost to create an image file on D. Name it ODDWEEK.GHO. Next week, run it again and name it EVENWK.GHO. Now you have two backups taking up all of about 6-7GB - leaving room for other things.

MS MCP, MCSE

I know good advice wben I hear it, and that sounds like good advice. What you have described here is exactly what I have been after. Backup for my system.

Are you proposing that I backup weekly, every other week odd and every other week even?

Whatever you can keep track of! I wouldn't space them out more than 2 weeks though.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Remember also, that you can resize the partition (but, inside valid limits...)
    Use the Ghost line parameters for such task

Cloning:

ghost(pe) -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=d:\name.gho

Restoring:
    ghost(pe) -clone,mode=pload,src=d:\name.gho,dst=1:1,sze1=F

or:

ghost(pe) -clone,mode=pload,src=d:\name.gho,dst=1:1,sze1=xxxM

where xxx is the amount of space in MB you want that partition to occupy

I don't think he's ready for that yet, kaz.

MS MCP, MCSE

BipolarBill,

I did the Local>Partition>Image and had a little trouble with it taking a file name for destination, but I got past that. Everything seemed to be going well, until it stopped and asked for me to insert the next media (a second disc?), it said something in reference to span.

I know it was going to the D:, because I checked my D: drive and it showed 2,4xx Mb used and 12,xxxMb free space.

I would guess your first thought would be, I screwed up on the destination, as that was mine. Though, after checking the status of D:, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Why would it stop at that point, thinking the destination drive was full and needed to have more "media" (space)?

I am ready to try again, but would like some experienced feedback before I go again.

Thanks, rounder

An easy way around that problem is to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT on the floppy. Edit this line:

\Ghost\Ghostpe.exe

to this:

\Ghost\Ghostpe.exe -auto

This turns on auto-spanning.

Otherwise, just choose a name next time.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I see the "auto spanning" under "options" (I can do this before starting the image without doing it in DOS), but unless your using limited-spaced discs, how does spanning apply?

edit:

On second thought, that may have been auto-naming. Oh, well, I'll check it out, possibly, tomorrow evening. I'll reply when I have more.

Thanks, for your continued interest!

rounder man
    Last edited by rounder; 06-05-2002 at 10:25 PM.

The -auto switch is placed in the batch file if you specify in the disk setup - true. It's both auto-naming and auto-spanning. It "spans" to another image file with the .GHS extension without prompting. It will create them and number them 001, 002, etc.
    MS MCP, MCSE

BipolarBill,

"It "spans" to another image file with the .GHS extension without prompting."

To another image file on a HDD that has more than enough room? Why the "span"?

Sorry, for the inquisitivness. Thats just how I come to understand things.

rounder