Thread: ICS trouble

ICS trouble

I'm trying to use ICS in Win2k to share my dial-up connection, but whenever I click enable sharing, ICS brings in error 783, can't start.

According to MS' website, this should be caused by another computer having the IP address 192.168.0.1, but this address is mine and mine only here. I tried changing my IP to something else, since ICS will put it back to 192.168.0.1, but it didn't change the outcome.

Shut down all computers on the network and try enabling it, or atleast unplug the ICS machine from the network, also make sure you are adding ICS to the modem connection and not the network connection.

Yes, it's been tried.

I know how it works (or at least how it used to)

I used to have problems with ICS before, none like this.

The problem has become more serious : even Sygate won't share the connection !

The network adapter is enabled, correct, I would imagine it is I just want to make sure. Can you get access to the LAN through the NIC and can you get on the net with the modem?

Yes, independantly, each works.

Here's what happened in case it could help. Until yesterday, I used ICS. When I got back home, I had a post it on my screen : "internet doesn't work". Checked on the clients, none were able to connect, so the problem was server based. The server itself can access the net and the local LAN, and ICS was disabled. No one access my computer but me.

I really wish I could help but I am not big on networks

ICS setup

Hi and I have run the ICS feature but under win98SE. I had the same trub when I was using dynamic (DHCP) IP's. I had to switch to static IP's and manualy configure each machine network setup. And yes turn off all the other machines. Configure your machine first. Ensure that you can get on the internet. Turn on one machine at a time and configure it and use static ip's. Ensure that you can get to the network and internet from that machine. Now check that you still can get to the network and internet from your machine. Continue this thru all machines. I know its a lot of rebooting and so forth but in the end you know it will work. Take a look at the link below and see if it helps. Also ensure that you put the gateway address into ALL machines on the network, there is a section for that. I do not use dynamic IP's (DHCP) because of the logging and networking trubs I have had. Now I can't wait till I get my staic ip for my dsl connection, no more PPOE and login **** for me. Good luck and Hope that it works. You might want to try windows XP Pro. Its more user friendly to me and it will do most if not all the work for you.

http://www.sysopt.com/articles/icsproxy/index.html

ICS setup

Oh I forgot to mention and sorry for doing this double post. If you can not get it to work and have set it up as per the book. And when all or everything else fails your routing table could be screwed up. If that is the case then you will have to rebuild the routing table by uninstalling the nic cards and reinstalling them. Then configure your network and internet connection ( both nic cards ) do this on the server your machine (ICS Server). A messed up routing table could be the trub too. By uninstalling the nic cards then re-installing will rebuild the routing table. I do not know of any other way to do this so sorry for that. Best of wishes and good luck.