Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How does this system look?

Philip1952s got it right, its all about a SCSI drive (18-36Gb) for OS and installs and an IDE (40+Gb) for data (MP3s, video, backup of your SCSI drive...). Can't beat the snappyness of SCSI, 1.2M hours MTBF is an added bonus .

Originally posted by Philip1952
    deadkenny
    For a lot of people having 160 gig of storage is a waste. My full load of programs and all stored items take less than 4.5 gig. I have a burner. I do use it or the old 8igg HDD I have installed for backups. I don't store anything on the OS drive that I do not use in a regular manor.
    There are places for a striped setup. But running the OS on it isn't one of them.
    If you notice Iproctor said this is for school. He will have data on it he won't want to loose. He said stable and fast. To fit that bill SCSI is one option. Striped isn't. To big of chance of data loose on it.
    If he needs mass storage. Then throw a cheap IDE drive on it to store on.
    Maybe SCSI drives are cheaper in the U.S. than up here, but no way would I pay like $250 for an 18GB drive (and that's only 10,000rpm). For that price I could get a pair of 40GB IDE drives and a RAID card. If you don't need that much space, you can RAID 0 and 1 and cover the bases. Sure it's not as fast and maybe not as safe (although SCSI drives die too) but it's still got SCSI beat in $ per unit storage.

You're getting a little ripped, newegg has the Seagate 15k 18Gb for $208 ($160 for the 10k). The only benefit of RAIDing the IDEs over the SCSI is space, but heck, get a cheep 120Gb 5400 RPM IDE for space and a fast SCSI 18Gb for OS and software.

Check the location d00d, stuff is a lot more expensive this side of the border. BTW, I found a much better deal than you. Your US$208 converts to over CN$320.

$204 was the 15k though, 10k @ pricewatch about $150, which looks to be about the same as what you found....

boy did this discussion get off topic

Ultimate Member
    I don't think it got that far off. He asked for an opion on a computer he is thinking about building. I gave an opion on his choice of HDD selection. For the small price difference between the two drives. Here in the US that is. The 15k drive was a better option. Plus the Atlas 3 drive is faster than the Cheetah 10k.
    Someone else suggested another option. We just talked out that option.
    The rest of the system asked about looked like a good solid setup that would last him thru most of his schools years to come.
    Last edited by Philip1952; 05-30-2002 at 04:00 PM.