Thread: where is SHARE tab

where is SHARE tab

[Go to My Computer or Explorer and right-click on the drive(s) you’d like to share with others ]

That's the quote I got from networking, but I can't follow that step because it only have 2 tabs:
    GENERAL and TOOLS so where is SHARING tab go? (I have windows 98) do I missing something when setup win 98 ?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    If you right click on the drive you should get a drop down list which includes many things such as (open, explore, find, scan for viruses, share, etc).

Or you can select the drive, right click, then properties, then you should have the 3 tabs (general, tool, sharing).

Ensure you have enabled MS File & Print Sharing.

Originally posted by Sterling_Aug
    If you right click on the drive you should get a drop down list which includes many things such as (open, explore, find, scan for viruses, share, etc).

Or you can select the drive, right click, then properties, then you should have the 3 tabs (general, tool, sharing).
    I did just that and only 2 tabs show GENERAL-TOOLS
    I also have check off in Files- Printer sharing

Originally posted by hoang201
    I did just that and only 2 tabs show GENERAL-TOOLS
    I also have check off in Files- Printer sharing
    To be clear, those boxes in the MS File & Print Sharing need to be checked so you can share resources.

If that is already done... something doesn't seem to be working correctly then or it has been disabled in the registry.

Next step would be to use poledit.exe (found on the Win9x CD) to open the registry and see if it has been disabled.

If not, then remove all network protocol/clients/services. You can probably leave the adapters without any problem. Then reboot and add those services/protocols/clients again.

If this is Win2k..... you have to have 2NIC's installed and working before you can access any other sharing options if i remember rightly.

If you're using Win98/ME, i'd say windows is screwed, format and re-install .
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''

Thanks, DVNT1 I finally got it :-)

Originally posted by hoang201
    Thanks, DVNT1 I finally got it :-)
    Great! What finally fixed it?

Strat...That isnt true.

I have run about 5 computers me with 2k and the other with either 2k or win98 and have not had only problems and needed 2 network cards. Just have to be configured right.

Most of the time, the second network card is used for broadband access especially for Cable.

-Lord Sech

Strat, Lord Sech is correct. You don't need two NICs for the file sharing tab. I missed that earlier or I would have pointed that out too.

Sorry, I do believe you are correct.

It is for sharing an internet connection you need 2 NIC's not file-sharing.

The tab for Internet Connection Sharing only appears on the NIC that is connected to the WAN when there is another NIC installed and configured, this NIC is used to send out the internet connection to other computer(s) on the LAN.
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''

Originally posted by DVNT1

To be clear, those boxes in the MS File & Print Sharing need to be checked so you can share resources.

If that is already done... something doesn't seem to be working correctly then or it has been disabled in the registry.

Next step would be to use poledit.exe (found on the Win9x CD) to open the registry and see if it has been disabled.

If not, then remove all network protocol/clients/services. You can probably leave the adapters without any problem. Then reboot and add those services/protocols/clients again.
    The first time I check file and printer sharing it didn'd ask me to reboot, maybe I did something wrong, the second time I try again and then it reboot machine and there I have it ... HN