Thread: Choosing a modem

Choosing a modem

I need a new modem. I have a gigabyte GA7VTX motherboard all pci slots. Thought about the v92 since it will work either way V90 V92. I Have never had a pci modem, only isa modems. I just thought people here would recomend a few good ones. On a pci slot modem, when you install it, in device manager will it show up in two different places, or just one place like a isa modem does. Thanks for the replys.

Intimate Member
    Lotsa luck fella...To my knowledge, there are no PCI modems that come close to the USR/3Com 56 K V-90 ISA hardware modem.

The best that I can recommend (from some of my friends installations) would be a Lucent chipset based modem (and keep your fingers and toes crossed)

Re: Choosing a modem

Originally posted by J1CS
    I need a new modem. I have a gigabyte GA7VTX motherboard all pci slots. Thought about the v92 since it will work either way V90 V92. I Have never had a pci modem, only isa modems. I just thought people here would recomend a few good ones. On a pci slot modem, when you install it, in device manager will it show up in two different places, or just one place like a isa modem does. Thanks for the replys.
    The two-part driver modem is a PCI "Winmodem". They will not work with Linux if you should try it.

Zoom makes excellent and reasonable external modems. Avoid USB like it's Ebola! If you're shopping for the best PCI modem, look for any USR modem labeled "Full hardware" or "Controller-based". Here's one:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...04c6a7a7d6b10/
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 05-22-2002 at 02:20 PM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The two different types are hardware and software modems. You can get either type in a PCI configuration. I know of no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a PCI modem that's just as good as any ISA modem.

Intimate Member
    My appologies if I mis-spoke. I was unaware that there was a PCI hardware modem. I had looked for one in late 2000, and early 2001 and didn't find any. That was one reason to go with the Iwill board...it has one ISA slot.

They were rare back then, Bov.

Me? I never mis-sprech. Who edited my post?!

MS MCP, MCSE

I have a USR PCI V.90 hardware modem but I don't use it anymore.

I prefer the SupraMax V.92 (SUP2751), though it's a software one, the speed and connection reliability are better than the USR's here, probably due to line noise. Diamond modems seem less noise sensitive.

If you are dealing with ISA , your MB must be a little old. The newer cards are all pci, don't downgrade to the v.90, the v.92 connects alot better. I have the Diamond Max v.92 and works good, but any v.92 should do you fine. By the way what OS are you running?

Gone
    V.90-V.92 they are almost the same thing! I checked up with usr this week and as always they gave me a free firmware update that turned my modem from a v.90-v.92. (nother reason for hardware modems)Not a single dif. in speed or connection at all. The only thing it added was the ability to recieve incomeing calls while I was in the net. V.92 has the modem hold ability beyond that its not much. Check with modem manufac. as many do firmware upgrade the v.90's to v.92. Hope that helped.

Speaking of modems, if you have it on your motherboard, has anyone used the audio modem riser slot on your board?

I bought a coup;e of Creative Labs v92 modems,, installation was simple,, CD rom supplied drivers are good,,, modems work fine,, less than $20.00 a piece at Best buy,, and a rebate also,,

I've been using the USR Performance Pro Fax modem. It's PCI based but has its own onboard controller. Works really well.
    This area reserved for highly intelligent observations.

Yup...that's a keeper, BigBlue66!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bought a cheap Archtec modem to get me by until I could get a USR PRO modem. Might change my mind. I really like this modem so far, no problems at all. Just thought I would give it a plug.

Originally posted by J1CS
    Speaking of modems, if you have it on your motherboard, has anyone used the audio modem riser slot on your board?
    i want to but I can't find one!!!!!!!!!!!!I have only 3 PCI slots (1 AMR and 1 ISA) on my Soyo 7VEM and I don't want a modem taking a slot up. But then agian i don't use dial-up..............

"Soft" and "Win" modems hog up system resoureces and are bad for gaming. Since they don't have a controller on-board they have to use your CPU and other resoureces, which can lower valuable frame rates. They're cheaper but sometimes they're not worth it. If your really on a budget get a soft or win modem but get it from a good brand like 3Com.
    Last edited by bob05; 05-27-2002 at 08:02 AM.