View Poll Results: Which Console Would You Buy ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xbox

8 44.44%
  • Gamecube

3 16.67%
  • Playstation 2

7 38.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PS2 and Xbox Price Drops

Now that sounds like an impressive Gamecube! Little out of my price range, though.

EFFECTIVE MAY 21ST, GAMECUBE IS $149.95 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- uncle_jimbo

I posted this before, but I'm going to post it again. If anyone has a SAMS membership, they are offering Gamecube, X-Box and P2 bundle packs for great prices. You get the console, two controllers, and at least 2 games (some even come with strategy guides). Check it ou!

It's about the games and Sony's PS2 has the most 3rd party support and has more great games. As for power, the PS2 has the most powerful CPU, the highest pixel fill rate, extremely high frame buffer and z-buffer read write bandwidth, and the highest raw geometric performance.

Those who call PS2 **** just don't know what their talking about, Sony was able to develop a revolutionary architecture that has a future in the gaming industry. That accomplished icredible raw performance, raw performance that was very difficult for Microsoft to surpass after a one year delay.

I consider the PS2 a technical marvel and consider the XBOX a step backward that was saved by the DirectX/C++ programmable GPU and easy to implement texture compression.

You want to see what PS2 is capable of:

Well, since gamecube came down fifty bucks, I might get that one later. But right now I'm so poor that I want to get a PSOne for heaven sake.

peace

Begun the console war has.......Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the consoles. Also, I read something interesting a few days back about how Sony was planning to lower the price point of their games......Man, first the price of all 3 drop and now there's a possible reduction in game prices. This may be the best time to own a console....

Originally posted by Jeff253
    As for power, the PS2 has the most powerful CPU, the highest pixel fill rate, extremely high frame buffer and z-buffer read write bandwidth, and the highest raw geometric performance.
    Gamecube Specs:
    Clock Frequency 485 MHz
    CPU Capacity 1125 Dmips (Dhrystone 2.1)
    Embedded Frame Buffer Approx. 2MB Sustainable Latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)
    Pixel Depth 24-bit Color, 24-bit Z Buffer
    Texture Read Bandwidth 10.4GB/second (Peak)
    Main Memory Bandwidth 2.6GB/second (Peak)

Info attained from here: http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gcn/gcn_specs.jsp

X-Box Specs:
    Central Processing Unit: 733 Mhz Intel Processor
    GPU: 300 Mhz X-Chip (in conjunction with nVidia), 1 Trillion OPS, 140 Billion FLOPS
    Polygons Per Second: 300 million (maximum), 150 million (with texture and lighting)
    Memory Bandwidth 6.4 GB/sec
    Pixel Fill Rate - No Texture 4.8 G/Sec (anti-aliased)
    Pixel Fill Rate - 1 Textures 4.8 G/Sec (anti-aliased)

Info attained from here:
    http://www.xboxgamers.com/hardware/console/index.shtml

Playstation 2 Specs:
    CPU 128-bit Playstation 2 CPU
    System Clock Frequency 294.912 MHz
    Memory Bus Bandwidth 3.2GB per Second
    Pixel Configuration RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
    Polygon Drawing Rate 75 Million Polygons per Second

Info attained from: http://www.scea.com/news/press_examp...s2&ReleaseID=9

I don't know what you mean by CPU power, but the X-Box has the fastest CPU out of all the systems. As for the graphics, the specs speak for themselves, however, all of the systems are capable of producing great graphics.

Originally posted by tycoonist

Gamecube Specs:
    Clock Frequency 485 MHz
    CPU Capacity 1125 Dmips (Dhrystone 2.1)
    Embedded Frame Buffer Approx. 2MB Sustainable Latency : 6.2ns (1T-SRAM)
    Pixel Depth 24-bit Color, 24-bit Z Buffer
    Texture Read Bandwidth 10.4GB/second (Peak)
    Main Memory Bandwidth 2.6GB/second (Peak)

Info attained from here: http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gcn/gcn_specs.jsp

X-Box Specs:
    Central Processing Unit: 733 Mhz Intel Processor
    GPU: 300 Mhz X-Chip (in conjunction with nVidia), 1 Trillion OPS, 140 Billion FLOPS
    Polygons Per Second: 300 million (maximum), 150 million (with texture and lighting)
    Memory Bandwidth 6.4 GB/sec
    Pixel Fill Rate - No Texture 4.8 G/Sec (anti-aliased)
    Pixel Fill Rate - 1 Textures 4.8 G/Sec (anti-aliased)

Info attained from here:

Playstation 2 Specs:
    CPU 128-bit Playstation 2 CPU
    System Clock Frequency 294.912 MHz
    Memory Bus Bandwidth 3.2GB per Second
    Pixel Configuration RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
    Polygon Drawing Rate 75 Million Polygons per Second

Info attained from: http://www.scea.com/news/press_examp...s2&ReleaseID=9

I don't know what you mean by CPU power, but the X-Box has the fastest CPU out of all the systems. As for the graphics, the specs speak for themselves, however, all of the systems are capable of producing great graphics.
    First you have to understand what the numbers mean. How did you conclude that XBOX has the fastest CPU, just because of the 733 MHz. If that's what you did, then wrong. You have to remember that frequency by itself doesn't equal performance or how fast a processor is. Here are some equations that illustrate my point:

speed = rate x time

-or-

speed or power of CPU = # of calculations x frequency (MHz)

You have to understand the two processors in some detail before concluding which is faster, so let's compare:

PS2 CPU is called the Emotion Engine. Here are facts about it: 300 MHz, 128-bit, highly parrallel processor, 128-bit ALU capable of 4-8 integer calculations per cycle, 2x 128-bit FPU capable of 20 real number calculations per cycle, 8 instructions per cycle.

XBOX CPU is a Pentium III w/ cache memory size of a Celeron. It operates at 733 MHz, 32-bit CPU. Capable of about 2.7 instructions per cycle and capablity of calculating about 1.5 real numbers per cycle.

Which is the fastest now that you have some understanding about the CPUs of both systems?

I don't want to go into the other specs, but without understanding what the numbers mean, you could jump to wrong conclusions.

Furthermore, the specs listed above for the XBOX are old. When the XBOX's GPU was running at 300 MHz, it was then downgraded to 233 MHz. The pixel fill rate listed is for a 300 MHz GPU, as you can see 4800 is divisable by 300. The pixel fill rate of the XBOX is 233 MHz, which would approximately equal 3728. The pixel fill is wrong since 233 x 4 doesn't equal 3728, this means that Microsoft or nVidia has played with this number. Looking at the specs guess what I see "(anti-aliased)", which means that the theoretical pixel fill rate of 3728 results from 4x FSAA. This is wrong, since it is the same pixels being re-rendered for anti-aliasing this will not increase pixel fill rate. Pixel fill rate for the X-box without that "(anti-aliased)" nonesense, which is the way it should be listed, is 933 M/sec or 0.93 G/sec.

Finally, I want to point out that the PS2 has a frame buffer and z-buffer read write bandwidth of 48.6 GB/sec. If total bandwidth is listed, PS2 will have an incredible 53 GB/sec while XBOX is 6.4 GB/sec (shared).

I want to also point out that XBOX is one year newer than PS2 in technology and it may not have the raw performance of PS2 but it has a 50% graphics advantage because of an easy to program GPU and easy to impliment texture compression. For PS2 to even be able to produce graphics that compare or surpass XBOX's graphics is evidence to the technical marvel PS2 is. The XBOX was supposed to be 3 times as powerful as PS2, but is barely achieving only a 50% advantage (because of the above reasons I gave) that's narrowing as the true power of the PS2's vector units are being unlocked (remember their being programmed in assembly while XBOX devs could program in C++/DirectX. The release of vector C++ for PS2 will make tapping the power of PS2 much easier and the gap between PS2 and XBOX will surely narrow).

...And one more thing, I took a look at this site:

Some of the information there is wrong and some laughable, like 80 GFLOPS, anybody who knows what a GFLOP is would know that there is no way in hell that XBOX is capable of that. I don't even have to give an explanation of why that # is just outrageous. However, there are some who don't know what a GLOP is so I'll say why that number is outrageous.

1) For a Pentium3 to be able to do that many operations it needs to be 4096-bit and issue 128 instructions per cycle and not only that contain the operation units to perform the calculations. Since a Pentium3 doesn't have anywhere near these specs, then it's no way in hell possible for the CPU.

2) If the 80 GFLOPS is from the NV2a GPU, then why is it only able of a geometric transform every 4 cycles for each vertex shader unit, i.e. aprox. 2 GFLOPS. Surely a GPU capable of 80 GFLOPS should be capable of at least TEN THOUSAND geometric transformations per cycle. Why isn't a 80 GFLOP GPU not capable of it, Why?! Because it isn't capable of it. If it isn't capable of it then it isn't 80 GFLOPS.

3) Other than the CPU or GPU, there wouldn't be any other processor that requires that kind of GFLOP performance. 80 GFLOPS for sound, don't make me laugh.
    Last edited by Jeff253; 05-22-2002 at 02:21 PM.

My friend has a PS2 and I have an XBOX. I rented the new 007 game and he owns the game. We set up the systems next to eachother and I realized that the XBOX is a little faster than the PS2. It also has a little better textureing but not that much. Overall I think that both systems are great but I really believe the XBOX is just a little bit faster.

Now if anyone can find me a game that is as detailed as HALO on the PS2 then I will believe the PS2 is as fast as an XBOX. SO far I havn't found a game as detailed as some of the XBOX games.

You want examples where PS2 matches XBOX in detail, see the following images. The PS2 is fully capable of matching XBOX's graphics and is capable of surpassing them. The cases where XBOX will surpass PS2 by 50% in the graphics department is because of better textures that result from easy to implement texture compression and because XBOX is easier to program for unlike PS2. It's easier to get to XBOX's power (C++/DirectX) instead of PS2's power (assembly programming).

Halo XBOX

GT3 PS2

Here's another game that matches Halo in detail and this is just the beginning of PS2's power.

The Getaway PS2:

Originally posted by Jeff253
    Here's another game that matches Halo in detail and this is just the beginning of PS2's power.
    According to mostpeople MGS2 is about all the PS2 can do, and MGS2 slows down last I checked, and Getaway still cant match Xboxs detail.

Texture layers per pass :
    Xbox = 4
    Gamecube = 8
    PS2 = 2

-- uncle_jimbo