View Poll Results: Which Console Would You Buy ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xbox

8 44.44%
  • Gamecube

3 16.67%
  • Playstation 2

7 38.89%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PS2 and Xbox Price Drops

PS2 and Xbox Price Drops

On Monday the PS2s price was reduced to $199.95, and now, earlier today Xboxs price has been reduced to $199.95 to "make it accessible to more consumers", the only one left to make a price drop is Nintendo, I believe that another reason for the price drop is so that the Xbox is able to compete with the PS2 more directly.

-- uncle_jimbo

Nintendo could drop it's price and still make a profit. My brother read in one of his video game magazines that the Gamecube costs about $50 bucks to make. So, they could lower their price to about $129.99 and still make a nice profit.

Also, I heard that Sony is going to make up their lost money by raising the costs of their games. Yeah, that should go over well with the consumers. But, I do have to give Sony its props. They are cutting Microsoft out of the race because the X-Box is already operating at a loss with each unit they sell. By lowering their prices, Microsoft is forced to lose more money on each unit it sells.

I'd buy the X-Box just because I already have the other two.

Actually, all 3 of these current systems kinda suck ***. They each have only 2 or 3 really great games which are exclusive to that one console.

I still say the NES was the best gaming system of all time.
    I am disrespectful to dirt!

Originally posted by tycoonist
    By lowering their prices, Microsoft is forced to lose more money on each unit it sells.

Thats true, but its not like old Billy Goats is going to go broke anytime soon.

I love games and game hardware from Microsoft. Well, I'm still just going to wait until X-box to come down to 79.99 USD, that's how I got my dreamcast.

Originally posted by Mr. Sparkle
    I still say the NES was the best gaming system of all time.
    The games that used the light gun were the ones I loved the best. Remember Duck Hunt and Operation Wolf?

Xbox definetly. Decent price, kick a** games. Then gamecube, a good deal, with few, but good, games. Then PS2, a piece of junk. enough said

Originally posted by couch potato
    Xbox definetly. Decent price, kick a** games. Then gamecube, a good deal, with few, but good, games. Then PS2, a piece of junk. enough said

Definitely agreed, PS2 has just sort of lost its power in the gaming world.

-- uncle_jimbo

I'd definitely get a Gamecube over a POS2

X-Box followed by GameCube in my opinion. I think Sony got lazy and complacent due to Playstation's phenomenonal success, and Sony's developers have committed the same sins. Sega's DC was mis-marketed and misunderstood, but was a great piece of hardware and home to some genuinely innovative titles - something the PS2 still lacks (witness the endless reiterations of EA Sports titles).

X-Box is a great all-round gaming solution with its PC-friendly hardware and software architecture - the inclusion of ethernet connectivity, a hard disk, and of course real-time AC-3 5.1 encoding really set it apart.

GameCube will have some great software titles without doubt (bring on Pilot Wings GC!!!) which is the whole point of having a console. I think NCL made a bad decision in going for a proprietary storage medium - why not go for a standard DVD format? They went for carts last time around with the N64 which was supposed to alleviate the piracy problem, and look how successful that was...

PS2 - outclassed and outgunned IMHO...

Slightly off-topic, but in the industrial design stakes all three systems suck. It's funny how it takes a major consumer electronics manufacturer (Panasonic) to show the world how it SHOULD be done with their gorgeous "Q". PS2 tries to be too serious, X-Box is brutally ugly design-by-committee and GameCube looks like a Tupperware lunchbox.

I'd go with either PS2 or GC. Nothing on the Xbox excites me or is worth playing at the moment (other than Halo) IMHO. But hey, to each his own..

Originally posted by Phrost.E
    I think NCL made a bad decision in going for a proprietary storage medium - why not go for a standard DVD format? They went for carts last time around with the N64 which was supposed to alleviate the piracy problem, and look how successful that was...
    Nintendo didn't go for the DVD option for games because of the cost they would have to pay the DVD industry for each system that included the DVD coding. I believed it would cost Nintendo $20 for each system, which would add up after a while, and Nintendo would only pass the costs to consumers.

However, Nintendo is releasing a DVD/game console in America probably the beginning of next year. It is already in Japan, and it is like the P2 and the X-Box. It can play DVDs and video games. However, the cost is about $300.

I read somewhere in a faq on Nintendos web site where one guy asked if the gamecube can play DVDs. Nintendos reply was, it can only if the movie was put on a mini disc dvd. Kinda stupid, huh?

Their FAQs must be outdated. I did a HUGE article for my college's magazine about the X-Box and the Gamecube, and Nintendo said that they were making a Gamecube model that would be able to play games and regular-sized DVDs. That's what I got from the information that I gathered, but I could be wrong.

You must be referring to the Panasonic Q. IGN.com reviewed it awhile back...here's the link if anyone's interested and there's some pictures of it as well...Panasonic Q Review