Thread: Age of Empires II hangs

Age of Empires II hangs

I am running a Celeron 550, 96MB RAM, 8MB Video memory, with Windows 98 installed. The box for this game says the system requirements are a Pentium 166, 32MB RAM, 2MB Video memory.

The game hangs regularly. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it; installed latest DirectX, latest vedeo drivers (SiS 620V), latest audio drivers (ESS SOLO-1 PCI), reinstalled Windows, closed down all background programs etc etc.

I have considered buying a new graphics adapter as a last resort but I am not even sure if the on board graphics card can be bypassed.

Can anyone help?

Re: Age of Empires II hangs

Originally posted by MarkOD
    I am running a Celeron 550, 96MB RAM, 8MB Video memory, with Windows 98 installed. The box for this game says the system requirements are a Pentium 166, 32MB RAM, 2MB Video memory.

The game hangs regularly. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it; installed latest DirectX, latest vedeo drivers (SiS 620V), latest audio drivers (ESS SOLO-1 PCI), reinstalled Windows, closed down all background programs etc etc.

I have considered buying a new graphics adapter as a last resort but I am not even sure if the on board graphics card can be bypassed.

Can anyone help?
    I have found that AofEII needs a lot of muscle to run properly and without stuttering so I am not surprised at all that you have issues with only 8mb of vid memory. You might want to wait unti you can update your whole system (as it is quite old, as you know) since adding a nice vid card to that system may be a bit of a waste. You should try the original AofE, maybe it is less of a resource hog...good luck.
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've
    wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went
    to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

AoEII

Nice choice of games
    AoE/AoEII are not resource hogs. I ran mine on my 200MMX Pentium with 32 MB RAM and a 4MB Trident (*sucks*) video card. I ran multiplayer server on that, running 2-3 AI teams and 2 network players over a 33.6Kbps modem, and I never had any problems. I didn't even experience much lag. The tip I can offer is to make sure your resolution is low (640x480) and graphics detail is low. Your system is MORE than enough to run it If your graphics details are high - it will start sucking that down though. The graphics are quite good at max quality - considering the age of the game. Let me know if you want to play. MasterJAK13 on the Zone

totally agree with Paco103. I had a 200 mmx, 64 ram, 4 meg graphixs card and it works fine. Your last resort: formatting C:, completly. Try the patchs at the site.

When does it hang. I think the game has a know problem when the unit count gets to high. My AOE2 hangs when I hit about 1000 units.

Also have you pathced the game to its newest version. It isn't your hardware. I dont think as mine hangs with a----------------

1.4t-bird
    640MB ram
    Geforce 3 ti 200
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure