Thread: Need help--> Extracting data from cd

Former volunteer

Need help--> Extracting data from cd

My wife has a project on a cd that cannot be read. The burner she was using was having problems. She believes she has acessed it before, but none of the cd-rom drives, nor burners here can read the data. Is there a program that can get the data off?

I thought it might be a problem with closing the cd, which had occurred before with this burner. So, I tried burning an additional file to the cd, and then reclosing it (worked before), but the buirner cannot read the data on the two tracks that Nero sees. (It sees 1 track of 646MB data and a 0:00 audio track).

CloneCD does not seem to like the cd. It just sits there waiting. I DLed the free trial version (21 day), but nogo so far.

Cannot get to cd via DOS either...

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Dave

can you see what the extension files are?
    Dar

Hey daveleau how's by you..

This is going to sound wierd but try burning an image of the CD.

SPEEDO

Ultimate Member
    Sounds like your on XP with nero. I have the same problem with it. When you write more than one section you can't see the first except in nero. Then you can't access it. I have nero 5.5.
    I'll be watching to see what you find out.

Former volunteer
    This is a disk that my wife kept writing to and the last burn appears to have corrupted it. I have 3 systems running 6OSes (2 98, 2 2000, 2 XP) and this cd cannot be read by any of the 4 cd-rom/ dvd-rom drives that I have. I cannot see the file extensions on the cd, but when I tried with Nero to continue a multi-session cd, it told me there were the two tracks I listed above (i data 646 MB or so and one audio track 0:00 long). And it said the data was corrupt and to get another cd. This is the only luck I have had getting any info off the disk.

Good to see you SPEEDO.

Dave
    www.techimo.com
    Where the Sysopters of old went.

Former volunteer
    BTW, the disk just spins up and the cd is either not recognized by the system or it says that it is not formatted. I cannot read any of the tracks on the cd, new or old.

Dave
    www.techimo.com

Former volunteer
    Our esteemed TechIMO.com moderator, KenKun has saved the day!

I did not bother going to the for-pay sites when I searched Google. I am glad you pointed them out. The last one you listed that had the demo got the data. When I went to copy the data, it said "Oh we'll show YOU the data, but for us to give YOU the data, you've got to show US the money" (or something slightly more professional than that. $50 later, we got the data. Thanks! Wendy can invoice the client for the software, so we are only temporarily out of the money.

THANKS!!!!!!
    Dave

http://www.ad-pacific.com.au/cddiag.html
    www.techimo.com