Thread: ICQ Backup?

ICQ Backup?

Ok im thinking of of uninstalling my ICQ and installing a newer version because my current ICQ is starting to give me errors and problems with authorizing ppl.

For me i dont care because i can get some of the contacts back from friends and some old contacts i want to remove and start all over.

However my sister might take awhile to restore her contacts since for some reason even one of her friends has like 3 accounts??

Anyway is there an easy way for me to save her contacts/icq list?

Hopefull this backup will work on later versions of ICQ but how do i go about restoring the contacts?

Oh yeah whats a good version to get without all that **** adware and bloated ****? I know older versions are better but they give problems. Is there even one that is good?

Use Google to search for "icq backup". You'll be shocked. This one looks up to date:

http://www.cenlee.per.sg/software/cg...on=ICQBackup32
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I would try upgrading to the newest version of ICQ now. It will save your contact list for each user on the ICQ servers so you are automatically backed up and you can run ICQ from any machine on the Internet and still have the same contact list.

Depending on your current version (if it's not that old v.98x or v.99x)
    contact lists and such are stored on ICQ servers now and it should still
    be there even after you uninstall/reinstall.

So with the newer versions there's no need for backups anymore.

But if you have an older version and wants to play "safe" then you can backup those folders :

DB or either NewDB (containing .dat and .idx files)
    Then just replace them once you finished installing if her contact list did not make it.

Find also Bookmarks and Received Files folders. If there's files there, you'll lose those for sure after a complete uninstall/reinstall.

[ EDIT ] If you only upgrade like Sterling_Aug suggested (which usually resolves most of the problems) you won't lose any contact. A complete uninstall might not be necessary. First Builds of 2001b had serious bugs but downloading newer one fixed it for me. Haven't tried 2002 though so I would not know for this one.

Hope this helps

F@ncy
    Last edited by fancyf; 05-08-2002 at 09:57 AM.
    Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-b astard cream there is not..

icq version?

ok so what version is the best for using icq now? Like i said before without all that **** adware and bloated features ****? I know older versions are better but they give problems. Is there a current one that is good?

link?

Is the newest icq worse than its previous versions? they added more useless stuff right?

I'm using right now ICQ 2002a build 3727, the latest one. No errors, stable, fast, who cares about ads and "bloated features" anyway ?